Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 10-06-2016, 21:05   #2806
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
I didn't think that it was available yet MM?
Trialists have them but are under NDA.
Advertisement
Old 10-06-2016, 21:06   #2807
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Lightbulb Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
I would have expected Now TV to have added the extra channels when the children's pack was split off from the entertainment and they added one channel then so I wouldn't expect them to add more on the 29th. I think the reason Now TV can keep the box so cheap is that they keep the competitors off so I can't see Amazon and Netflix joining soon.
I think they'll add SKY Sports Mix and SKY Sports News at the very least. I'm confident new channels are coming as they confirmed more channels are due to be added on the Now TV forum when the kids channels got cut recently
Old 10-06-2016, 22:56   #2808
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

They defo need to get this crap 30 day catch up sorted!
Old 10-06-2016, 23:22   #2809
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
I didn't think that it was available yet MM?
Sky employees and other testers presumably?

---------- Post added at 23:21 ---------- Previous post was at 23:13 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
I think they'll add SKY Sports Mix and SKY Sports News at the very least. I'm confident new channels are coming as they confirmed more channels are due to be added on the Now TV forum when the kids channels got cut recently
OK and good point about Sky Sports Mix. But Sky Sports News is on Now TV.

---------- Post added at 23:22 ---------- Previous post was at 23:21 ----------

Quote:
They defo need to get this crap 30 day catch up sorted!
A lot of box sets have more than 30 days.
Old 10-06-2016, 23:47   #2810
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
OK and good point about Sky Sports Mix. But Sky Sports News is on Now TV.
Totally agree about SKY Sports News but as far as I'm aware it's only available on the NOW TV box. I think this will become a standard channel across all devices and platforms.

I remember doing a survey a long time ago about channels on NOW TV. I remember that National Geographic channel was one most would want to see added to the the line-up. Whether this arrives or not is anyone's guess at that stage. I wouldn't be shocked to see it.

Just over 2 weeks until we see this "BIG" announcement. I'm interested to see what they deliver. Could be a real viable alternative to SKY and Virgin Media for those on a tighter budget.
Old 11-06-2016, 01:52   #2811
love Virgin2013
cf.addict

Services: Virgin Media VIP
love Virgin2013 is an unknown quantity at this point

Where has it been seen that the New Now TV box is out on June 25th?

Im asking as im doing the trial and there are still issues with it so im surprised that date has been talked about.

Of course i cant say anything about the the new box.
Old 11-06-2016, 07:05   #2812
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Totally agree about SKY Sports News but as far as I'm aware it's only available on the NOW TV box. I think this will become a standard channel across all devices and platforms.

I remember doing a survey a long time ago about channels on NOW TV. I remember that National Geographic channel was one most would want to see added to the the line-up. Whether this arrives or not is anyone's guess at that stage. I wouldn't be shocked to see it.

Just over 2 weeks until we see this "BIG" announcement. I'm interested to see what they deliver. Could be a real viable alternative to SKY and Virgin Media for those on a tighter budget.
And there was me thinking you could predict the future old boy.
Old 11-06-2016, 11:02   #2813
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
I would have expected Now TV to have added the extra channels when the children's pack was split off from the entertainment and they added one channel then so I wouldn't expect them to add more on the 29th. I think the reason Now TV can keep the box so cheap is that they keep the competitors off so I can't see Amazon and Netflix joining soon.
I would have thought that adding Netflix and Amazon to the Now TV box would have made it more attractive, leading to more sales. That's certainly why I chose a Roku over the other available options.
Old 11-06-2016, 11:12   #2814
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by love Virgin2013 View Post
Where has it been seen that the New Now TV box is out on June 25th?

Im asking as im doing the trial and there are still issues with it so im surprised that date has been talked about.

Of course i cant say anything about the the new box.

It's actually being unveiled on the 29th June, as to when it goes on public sale is another matter, but i'd assume it would be on sale fairly soon after being unveiled.

https://www.uswitch.com/tv/news/2016..._on_june_29th/

Last edited by Mad Max; 11-06-2016 at 11:16.
Old 11-06-2016, 11:59   #2815
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

That guy is very optimistic in your link MM , I think he could very well be disappointed.
Old 11-06-2016, 12:07   #2816
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
That guy is very optimistic in your link MM , I think he could very well be disappointed.

It seems to suggest that he/they have an invite on 29th June MM, if that's the case then surely the date would be correct?
Old 11-06-2016, 13:20   #2817
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I would have thought that adding Netflix and Amazon to the Now TV box would have made it more attractive, leading to more sales. That's certainly why I chose a Roku over the other available options.
The Roku and Now TV boxes have entirely different business models:
Roku - cost of box covered by purchase price plus marginal revenue from apps. Cheapest Roku box on website £70.
Now TV - cost of box subsidised by sale of content. Cost of box on website £15 but when bundled with content, it means that it's effectively given away. Works on the razor principle - give away the razor and make money from the sales of the blades.

Adding Netflix and Amazon would make the Now TV box more attractive and it would sell more. Each Now TV box makes a loss (remember the difference in price between a Now TV box and a Roku is £55 (£70-£15) and having Netflix and Amazon Prime on would reduce the chances of purchasers subscribing to Now TV. So Sky would be faced with a choice of funding more box sales with less chance of recouping its box subsidies or charging more per box which would encroach upon Roku.

The current situation seems to me the best of both worlds - if you want multiple services, pay more and get Roku. If you just want a cheap box for Now TV (plus the PSB catch-up services) then take a subsidised box.

As the saying goes, sales are vanity and profits are sanity.

---------- Post added at 13:20 ---------- Previous post was at 13:04 ----------

Quote:
It's available on all devices (except YouView) when you subscribe to Sky Sports. Now TV just witholds it to promote its own box.

Quote:
They could devise a factual pack but that would suggest taking Discovery and National Geographic Wild out of the Entertainment pack. Maybe add some more channels into the Entertainment pack and charge more for it.

Quote:
Will be interesting to see what they do. At one stage Now TV was bundled with broadband so they may try a broadband offer aimed at the TalkTalk/Plusnet market. Certainly, a higher tier pack with 1080/4K picture quality is likely. Sky obviously knows it must avoid cannibalising its satellite base too much. Interestingly, uSwitch is convinced the new box will be a PVR. Maybe more than one box? https://www.uswitch.com/tv/news/2016...s_now_just_20/

Last edited by 1andrew1; 11-06-2016 at 13:23.
Old 11-06-2016, 13:56   #2818
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
It seems to suggest that he/they have an invite on 29th June MM, if that's the case then surely the date would be correct?
I'm guessing it's the details that MM is speculating on. Not sure if the hard drive bit is correct from that web link. I have no actual knowledge though.
Old 11-06-2016, 16:43   #2819
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
I'm guessing it's the details that MM is speculating on. Not sure if the hard drive bit is correct from that web link. I have no actual knowledge though.
That's my exact point , can you honestly believe anyone would think the box will have a HDD ?

A service that can be had for around a fiver is going to want to keep the box costs as cheap as possible.
Old 12-06-2016, 03:40   #2820
love Virgin2013
cf.addict

Services: Virgin Media VIP
love Virgin2013 is an unknown quantity at this point

The new Now TV box will not go on sale till at least the school summer holidays and if anyone thinks it will have a PVR then they will be wrong.
Closed Thread