Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

Old 13-08-2016, 17:12   #5461
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Services: Sky Unlimited FibrePro Sky Talk Sky+HD
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Re: Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

I was getting spikes on my FTTC, turned out to be caused by my firewall.
Mick Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 17-08-2016, 10:59   #5462
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Fisher View Post
I was getting spikes on my FTTC, turned out to be caused by my firewall.
Did the spikes coincide with a drop in your QOS?
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2016, 15:01   #5463
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Because the BQM works between router and TBB, the only cause I can think of is that the PC is sending stuff in bursts over the Internet. A background process,perhaps' a Trojan or something.

Logically unlikely to be much else.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2016, 10:57   #5464
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Fault on switch-on, first reported to VM on their forum on 23rd September 2015, is still occurring regularly.

All attempts to repair have disappeared into the ether it seems. VM forum staff occasionally respond, but that's about it.

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...2917052#M47374
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2016, 15:33   #5465
MUD_Wizard
Inactive

MUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
My boot-up disruption continues (almost a year now) and investigation seems to have entered a black hole despite assurances I would be kept up to date on progress.

The thread http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...2917052#M47374 seems to be ignored totally most of the time by VM, except when one of the staff pop-up and say they can only read the last post as "it's the way their system is set up".

They are also aware that the fault is common in my local area and beyond.
I did try to tell you at the time your thread started that VM networks would not view this as a fault. And here we are a year later.
MUD_Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2016, 17:06   #5466
Taf
cf.mega poster

Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUD_Wizard View Post
I did try to tell you at the time your thread started that VM networks would not view this as a fault. And here we are a year later.
I have had fault numbers which they closed after failing to contact me by telepathy. The senior tech that has visited said that it WAS a fault in their network, and was deployed manpower to sort it.
Old 25-08-2016, 03:58   #5467
MUD_Wizard
Inactive

MUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I have had fault numbers which they closed after failing to contact me by telepathy.
Fault numbers can be generated for investigation then closed, then opened, then closed..

Quote:
The senior tech that has visited said that it WAS a fault in their network, and was deployed manpower to sort it.
If they know what the problem is and deployed manpower surely they would have fixed it by now?
Old 25-08-2016, 07:15   #5468
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Muddie,

Have you been following Taf's story both here and in the VM forums? VM have been useless in solving a clearly demonstrated problem - shown for months in constant BQMs and logs that Taf has provided. Taf's "telepathy" sarcasm is entirely jusified when you know the story.

Old 25-08-2016, 17:19   #5469
MUD_Wizard
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
Muddie,

Have you been following Taf's story both here and in the VM forums? VM have been useless in solving a clearly demonstrated problem - shown for months in constant BQMs and logs that Taf has provided. Taf's "telepathy" sarcasm is entirely jusified when you know the story.
I have been following it loosely and I wasn't disagreeing with the 'telepathy' remark. Which VM often do.

More pointing out that VM Networks are unlikely to consider this a high priority to fix. So he'll get bounced between customer service, techs, networks and back again. Which is what I expected would happen given the class of fault.
Old 25-08-2016, 17:36   #5470
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

I think TAF deserves better from VM and that the "class of fault" should not be the differentiator because in the customer's mind it is adversely affecting his connection.

Your note came across as "what did you expect from them". TAF needs a solution.

Old 25-08-2016, 18:28   #5471
Taf
cf.mega poster

I am not the only subscriber suffering this problem, and I was told that many have been complaining for about the same length of time (coming up on a year).

I thought that contacting the CEO might have got it sorted, but when I received a phonecall from a VM person demanding "What do you want?" I got the feeling I was about to be stonewalled. I have never mentioned compensation, freebies or upgrades, but that person seemed to be under the impression I was.
Old 25-08-2016, 18:32   #5472
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

I haven't seen the same BQM thing as you have from anyone else. Obviously I may have missed them - got any pointers, Taf?

Old 25-08-2016, 18:35   #5473
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

I leave our SH1 powered all the time. We need it typically from 8am til 11pm so I don't bother to power it down. I think it just asks for problems to power cycle it unless there's an issue?
Old 25-08-2016, 18:59   #5474
Taf
cf.mega poster

Quote:
I haven't seen the same BQM thing as you have from anyone else. Obviously I may have missed them - got any pointers, Taf?
The tech who mentioned it described the others reporting the fault as "not tech savvy, but vocal when a problem arises". So no chance of them posting network logs, power levels and BQM graphs.

I do so to help them find a solution. Being a retired tech/eng I know how evil diagnosing and then fixing intermittent faults can be.
Old 26-08-2016, 21:41   #5475
MUD_Wizard
Inactive

Quote:
I've seen it occur on other user's BQM's, though not often. Can't remember the links as was long ago.