Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Upgrading from 50mb to 100mb

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Upgrading from 50mb to 100mb

Old 17-04-2012, 19:21   #31
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: Upgrading from 50mb to 100mb

and following on from that logic, as all areas are 100mbit enabled already, if the capacity was there then they wouldnt be bumming around for the next year with upgrades and they would wang everyone up straight away
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 17-04-2012, 19:31   #32
cookster
Inactive

cookster is on a distinguished roadcookster is on a distinguished road

I was upgraded by retentions over the phone for free. The config file has been updated but I have the VMNG300v2 modem.

I'm getting nowhere near 100meg download should I ring back and ask for the SuperHub, even after the bad press it gets?
cookster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 19:45   #33
General Maximus
Ran Away

General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

nope, the vmng300 is perfectly capable of giving you 100mbit. What are you using as the basis for your lack of speed? Have you checked your power levels?
Old 17-04-2012, 20:19   #34
Skie
a giant headend

Skie has reached the bronze age
Skie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookster View Post
I was upgraded by retentions over the phone for free. The config file has been updated but I have the VMNG300v2 modem.

I'm getting nowhere near 100meg download should I ring back and ask for the SuperHub, even after the bad press it gets?
What router do you have hooked up? It may have QoS set for 50meg or just be incapable of handling 100meg.
Skie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 20:36   #35
cookster
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
nope, the vmng300 is perfectly capable of giving you 100mbit. What are you using as the basis for your lack of speed? Have you checked your power levels?
I used various speed tests (speedtest.net, thinkbroadband)

Powers levels are;

Down
Power Level
(dBmV)5.40 4.66 5.18 5.21

Up
Power Level
(dBmV)45.50 N/A N/A N/A

---------- Post added at 20:36 ---------- Previous post was at 20:33 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skie View Post
What router do you have hooked up? It may have QoS set for 50meg or just be incapable of handling 100meg.
Main PC is plugged directly into cable modem via Cat cable.
Old 17-04-2012, 21:47   #36
General Maximus
Ran Away

have you tried doing any downloads from torrents or newsgroups or any bulk http downloads from somewhere like gamershell?

The reason why I am asking is because I had a vmng300 when I was only 50mbit and whenever I ran a speed test from speedtest.net it always gave me 50mbit. When I upgraded to 100mbit they forced a shub on me and all of a sudden my speed tests results wouldnt go above 36mbit. If I downloaded multiple files by http or used newsgroups I proved that i was still pulling 12mb/sec, it just wasnt reflected in the speed test for whatever reason. I moaned my ass off and got my vmng300 and now everything is rock solid again including the speed tests.
Old 17-04-2012, 23:03   #37
Skie
a giant headend

Skie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze age

Quote:

Main PC is plugged directly into cable modem via Cat cable.
What does http://192.168.100.1/CmStatus.asp say?

Specifically the Ethernet link status.
Old 18-04-2012, 01:05   #38
Sherlock Holmes
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media 60MB XL Broadband, XL TV with TiVo, XL phone.
Sherlock Holmes is on a distinguished roadSherlock Holmes is on a distinguished road

Quote:

What the General said,..

But if your running speed tests use the London namesco server on speedtest.net or this site http://vmspeed.com/

Cheers
Sherlock Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2012, 06:49   #39
cookster
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skie View Post
What does http://192.168.100.1/CmStatus.asp say?

Specifically the Ethernet link status.
Hi it says " 100 Mbps/Full duplex"
Old 18-04-2012, 10:02   #40
Rabb
cf.member

Services: VIP Package
Rabb is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexz View Post
After reading this thread I thought I would give it a go. Got through to a nice lady and was upgraded to 100mbit from 50mbit for free and instantly. I also have the tivo box and a spare v+ box in another room... Only problem I have now is that I'm on 100mbit down and 5mbit up
before got sb 2 weeks back, had 5mb u/l, now with sb installed & going 100mb , max getting is 2.7mb u/l. again a total loss on getting any help when call 150.
but this seems a common problem that just appearing for more & more ppl, should have 5mb/10mb u/l but stuck at 2.7mb. this aint stm ect, no matter what time, server, test ect the max is always 2.7mb. asked for help on vm own forum after calling 150 so many times, lets u right down everytime.
but guess what after a week no vm could even respond, after trawling thru 2-3 pages
over there which can go back weeks, dont think ever saw a post from them that ever helped any person looking for help.
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2012, 20:04   #41
cookster
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
have you tried doing any downloads from torrents or newsgroups or any bulk http downloads from somewhere like gamershell?

The reason why I am asking is because I had a vmng300 when I was only 50mbit and whenever I ran a speed test from speedtest.net it always gave me 50mbit. When I upgraded to 100mbit they forced a shub on me and all of a sudden my speed tests results wouldnt go above 36mbit. If I downloaded multiple files by http or used newsgroups I proved that i was still pulling 12mb/sec, it just wasnt reflected in the speed test for whatever reason. I moaned my ass off and got my vmng300 and now everything is rock solid again including the speed tests.
Ok the plot thickens. This morning I did a speedtest and get 90mbit + and also early evening. However now I'm lucky to get between 50-70mbit and I've downloaded nothing?

So it's either over active STM, congestion or power levels.

Anyone help how I can troubleshoot this without wasting time with a friend from India?
Old 19-04-2012, 22:00   #42
General Maximus
Ran Away

firstly, you are not going to get 100mbit if you NIC is connected at 100mbit because there is other stuff going on in the background which you have got to allow for. In order for you to get 100mbit (and soon to be more) you need a gigabit NIC with any ports on your roters/switches/modem also at 1 gigabit.

secondly, speed tests are still dodgy. Unless you like tormenting yourself take my advice and download 8 large files from gamershell (or newsgroups if you use them) and look at the speed. When the shub said I was only getting 36mbit on speed tests I was still pulling over 12mb/sec on downloads.
Old 19-04-2012, 23:06   #43
slowcoach
Inactive

Services: VM Phone 152 Meg.
slowcoach has reached the bronze age
slowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabb View Post
before got sb 2 weeks back, had 5mb u/l, now with sb installed & going 100mb , max getting is 2.7mb u/l. again a total loss on getting any help when call 150.
but this seems a common problem that just appearing for more & more ppl, should have 5mb/10mb u/l but stuck at 2.7mb. this aint stm ect, no matter what time, server, test ect the max is always 2.7mb. asked for help on vm own forum after calling 150 so many times, lets u right down everytime.
but guess what after a week no vm could even respond, after trawling thru 2-3 pages
over there which can go back weeks, dont think ever saw a post from them that ever helped any person looking for help.
100 Mb users uploads are being capped at 2.7 Mb, for some reason, whilst their local network is being upgraded to allow 120/12 so you will probably have about another month at 2.7 before getting the new top speed, should be about six weeks in total to do the work. Tech Support were not told that this was happening and they can't get through to network staff whilst the upgrade work is in progress so they were completely in the dark, even the Level 2 Techs had no idea what was going on.
The good news is that you are going to be one of the first areas in the country to get the new top speed.
My area has about two weeks more to go, all being well.
Of course this is VM we are talking about so there is still time left for them to step on a landmine, nothing is set in stone.
slowcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2012, 23:22   #44
Skie
a giant headend

Quote:
Hi it says " 100 Mbps/Full duplex"

Get a cheap gige network card. Even if the problem is network related, you will never get full speed via a 100 NIC thanks to overheads and the cheap spec of most of the onboard ones.
Old 20-04-2012, 02:07   #45
Daveoc64
cf.addict

Services: Freeview Play, Virgin Media Gig1
Daveoc64 has a spectacular aura about themDaveoc64 has a spectacular aura about themDaveoc64 has a spectacular aura about themDaveoc64 has a spectacular aura about them

... and just an FYI, you can get a gigabit ethernet card that goes into a PCI slot on a computer.

If you look that up, you'll see that PCI can't handle 1000mbps!

It can handle about ~500mbps though, which means that a cheap PCI gigabit ethernet card should allow virtually any computer with a spare slot to access the 120mbps service and beyond.

These cards are about £5 on places like Amazon.
Daveoc64 is offline   Reply With Quote