Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Are VM frontline staff now discouraged from escalating customer issues?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Any way to stop Sky Movies asking for a PIN?

Old 04-11-2017, 19:49   #1
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Any way to stop Sky Movies asking for a PIN?

Is there any way to stop the Sky movie channels from asking for a PIN all the time during the day?

This makes it awkward to channel surf; I don't recall this happening when I was with Sky (many years ago).
RichardCoulter is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-11-2017, 19:50   #2
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Any way to stop Sky Movies asking for a PIN?

Nope. It's an OFCOM requirement. If it wasn't there you'd get 'daytime friendly' films i.e. Made for TV rubbish that Sky use to show before the PIN came along.

There was actually a consultation about it being possible for other channels to do it too - but the feedback was negative:

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/consultatio...in-protections
Old 04-11-2017, 21:07   #3
GrimUpNorth
cf.mega poster

GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star
GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star

That was one of the reasons our return to VM for TV ended yesterday after only 6 days. Sky Q doesn't seem to ask for a PIN anywhere as often as the V6 did.

Cheers

Dave
GrimUpNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 22:10   #4
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

It's ridiculous that a PIN is required, how many adults live together and have to go through this rubbish to watch a movie or whatever.
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 00:13   #5
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
It's ridiculous that a PIN is required, how many adults live together and have to go through this rubbish to watch a movie or whatever.
Not really mate sky, bt and vm are just covering their backs the pin allows rated 15 movies to be shown before the watershed, if they didn't have the pin they would only be allowed to show rated u and pg movies in the day.
theone2k10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 00:44   #6
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Is there any way to stop the Sky movie channels from asking for a PIN all the time during the day?

This makes it awkward to channel surf; I don't recall this happening when I was with Sky (many years ago).
Yes, it is a nuisance, Richard, but it seems to be the only way that we can get to see adult material during the day. Without this, Sky would be forced to show family friendly films throughout the day.

I was a little surprised that you still channel surf, given the incredible use you make of your V6. This is not the best way of discovering programmes you like, because you end up only watching a small part of your selected programme due to the fact that it has been broadcasting prior to your finding that programme.

Far better to select the programmes you want to watch beforehand. Given that your hard drive is so full, why are you channel hopping anyway?
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 02:43   #7
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

I could have sworn that the TiVo and/or the V+ allowed you to choose whether to make it ask for a PIN or not, but this is the first time that I've ever had Movies with VM.

Thanks for clarifying that nothing can be done and that it's not something I've missed
Old 07-11-2017, 17:12   #8
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

That was only for recordings I am sure, it is on Sky Q anyway. Only broadcasts ask me for a PIN. Once recorded it doesn't ask.

All movies if they are above a PG will ask for a PIN during the day.

I find it annoying as there are 3 people in my house and all above 18 so wish there was a way to turn it off.
Old 08-11-2017, 01:38   #9
jj20x

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
I could have sworn that the TiVo and/or the V+ allowed you to choose whether to make it ask for a PIN or not, but this is the first time that I've ever had Movies with VM.
The option to turn the PIN request off is just for recordings.

The Sky Movies channels generally have PIN access during the day, except for the Sky Family & Sky Disney channels, which should have family friendly content.
Old 12-11-2017, 16:53   #10
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Can you make it stop asking for a PIN for recordings on the V6?
Old 12-11-2017, 17:08   #11
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

It's in Parental Controls.
RobboEdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 17:10   #12
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

That doesn't apply to Sky Cinema channels.
Old 12-11-2017, 18:59   #13
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
It's the nanny state mentality we have had for years. The authorities don't trust parents to contol their kids viewing habits so we all have to put up with the inconvenience as a result.
nodrogd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 19:28   #14
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Services: XL TV XL Phone XL 100MB broadband TiVo Cat
vincerooney has reached the bronze age
vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimUpNorth View Post
That was one of the reasons our return to VM for TV ended yesterday after only 6 days. Sky Q doesn't seem to ask for a PIN anywhere as often as the V6 did.

Cheers

Dave
Haha you quit virgin media as you had to type in a pin which requires about 3 seconds? Lots of reasons to quit but that isn’t one of them...
vincerooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 19:34   #15
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodrogd View Post
It's the nanny state mentality we have had for years. The authorities don't trust parents to contol their kids viewing habits so we all have to put up with the inconvenience as a result.
The troube is most kids will know the pin, so its as useful as a chocolate fireguard