Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 30MB minimum by end of 2012

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

30MB minimum by end of 2012

Old 02-03-2012, 10:13   #31
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
Re: 30M minimum by end of 2012

The vmng300 firmware is becoming obsolete, but the hardware is far from it
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-03-2012, 10:18   #32
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

Yeah its simply a case VM have chose to stop supporting the device hence no new firmware. I find peters argument flawed because the cost of fixing the superhub firmware is more then likely a lot more money than simply making a firmware to add 4 DS channels. VM made a business decision to simplify the kit customers have (dumb it down), I doubt it had anything to do with the vmng300 been incapable, the dir615 probably had a bigger factor as that only has 100mbit ports. I also expect cost came into it as well and netgear probably gave them a good price for the superhub vs a gigabit dlink router and the vmng300 combination.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:42   #33
Andrewcrawford23
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media - XL Plus package with XXL broadband SKY HD Multiroom Freeview HD Freesat HD
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age

see i dnt get hwy virign wqanted to supply router in the first place they are supplyinga conenction if a cusotmer wants wirelss they buy it
Andrewcrawford23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:46   #34
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_ View Post
Who mentioned Docsis 3? I was being specific to Andrew's question about the VMNG300 which to all intents and purposes is an obsolete device that they want off the network which they are replacing wherever possible as they obviously have no intention of wasting money with firmware upgrades or reprising the device.

That device should never have been issued as I have said on numerous occasions they tested Cisco and Motorola devices but someone thought it better to go down the generic route, and if you are on ongoing doctors prescription you will know by experience that generic drugs only saves money and is never a quality alternative.
I can't believe that after spending the last year defending the superhub you are now beating up the vmng300. It kicks ass over the shub and despite Ben's previous assertions that VM also had probms with it, it has been perfect compared to the numerous issues with the shub and the time it has (still is) taking to resolve them.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 17:52   #35
tomtank62
Inactive

tomtank62 is on a distinguished roadtomtank62 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssr View Post
I am simply quoting retentions Teesside.He guaranteed 30M lowest speed where all 10M-20M double speed would increase to 30M (superhub supplied where necessary) by year end.Also complete new packages have been installed on Virgin-media system to begin April with increase.
Mr Bolt tells me I won't be getting 20M until July 2013, so I can't see VM giving me 30M by the end of 2012.
tomtank62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 18:07   #36
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Mr Bolt also tells you his name is Richard Branson.

I wonder if, if VM get pulled up for this campaign and not meeting targets, they'll claim the entire thing was clearly "not meant to be believed".
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 18:20   #37
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post
thats my point, its a docsis3 modem, it isnt obselete.

just because VM no longer supply it doesnt mean its suddenly obselete.
As far as the company is concerned it is obsolete and they will endeavour to replace them on sight and writ no firmware upgrades for them.

They should never have gone down the route of buying either the VMNG300 or the Superhub, they should have bought from the suppliers of the CMTS they are using it makes more sense than buying 2 cobbled together devices with a Virgin Media logo on them.

---------- Post added at 17:20 ---------- Previous post was at 17:18 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
I can't believe that after spending the last year defending the superhub you are now beating up the vmng300. It kicks ass over the shub and despite Ben's previous assertions that VM also had probms with it, it has been perfect compared to the numerous issues with the shub and the time it has (still is) taking to resolve them.
Both devices do the job they were bought to do but the VMNG300 does not have 8 downstreams and no one is going to do anything about that and the Superhub does work fine as a modem and in most cases it does works fine as a wireless router, but both devices are not something anyone would buy to have as their Flagship device unless they were very drunk at the time.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 18:27   #38
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
Mr Bolt also tells you his name is Richard Branson.

I wonder if, if VM get pulled up for this campaign and not meeting targets, they'll claim the entire thing was clearly "not meant to be believed".
I dont get that advert.

We all know VM like to mislead.

But I am truly shocked they done an advert with a guy lying about his name.

---------- Post added at 17:27 ---------- Previous post was at 17:26 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_ View Post
As far as the company is concerned it is obsolete and they will endeavour to replace them on sight and writ no firmware upgrades for them.

They should never have gone down the route of buying either the VMNG300 or the Superhub, they should have bought from the suppliers of the CMTS they are using it makes more sense than buying 2 cobbled together devices with a Virgin Media logo on them.

Now that last point I do agree with, always a good idea to use the same vendor both ends of the connection. So cisco modems with cisco UBR's.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 18:30   #39
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post

Now that last point I do agree with, always a good idea to use the same vendor both ends of the connection. So cisco modems with cisco UBR's.
I have posted the same as above on numerous occasions it is really a no brainer unless you really need to save a couple of pound or feel the need to have your own logo on the device.
Old 02-03-2012, 21:13   #40
ssr
Inactive

ssr is on a distinguished roadssr is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtank62 View Post
Mr Bolt tells me I won't be getting 20M until July 2013, so I can't see VM giving me 30M by the end of 2012.
Ring retentions and ask them
ssr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 21:16   #41
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Why they will not know that as it is something they have no need to know, if you have put your postcode in then that is the date.
Old 02-03-2012, 21:34   #42
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Quote:
Why? They will say anything
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 23:53   #43
ssr
Inactive

ssr is on a distinguished roadssr is on a distinguished road

Time will tell
ssr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 00:24   #44
tomtank62
Inactive

tomtank62 is on a distinguished roadtomtank62 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Time will tell
Lets hope you can come back here at the end of the year and say 'I TOLD YOU SO'!!!

Although I am not sure just what I am going to do with the extra 10M (or 20)
10M is plenty for me.
tomtank62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 00:28   #45
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Time will tell
That you are wrong, we already know that so nothing new.

---------- Post added at 23:28 ---------- Previous post was at 23:28 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtank62 View Post
Lets hope you can come back here at the end of the year and say 'I TOLD YOU SO'!!!
See the above.