Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 30MB minimum by end of 2012

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Skygo constantly buffers using superhub wireless

Old 20-03-2012, 18:39   #1
sniper007
Inactive

sniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of light
Skygo constantly buffers using superhub wireless

Sometimes my friend will come round to watch football at mine and as he has sky we watch on the laptop via HDMI into the TV using his Skygo account via my internet line. I have 50mb virgin broadband. When I use it hardwired via gigabit ethernet it never buffers. if I use wireless it constantly buffers and is unwatchable. The highest bitrate the skygo stream will go to is 2.9mbps (leaving it on auto obtains this bitrate, setting it to HIGH gives me 1.9mbps). So even at the highest rate, wireless should not be a bottleneck even on wireless B accounting for half duplex and a poor connection. As it happens I use 145mbps on the superhub which is what the laptop is connected at.

So why does it buffer via wireless? Is the superhub just that bad wirelessly?
sniper007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 20-03-2012, 18:49   #2
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
Re: Skygo constantly buffers using superhub wireless

Have you tested the wireless connection?
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2012, 19:47   #3
sniper007
Inactive

sniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of light

Can you tell me how you would test it? It's fine for everything else I use it for including vpn to work (not at the same time as skygo).
Old 20-03-2012, 20:25   #4
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Do a speedtest. While connected to the wireless.
Old 20-03-2012, 21:40   #5
sniper007
Inactive

It comes back at 50mbps full speed.
Old 20-03-2012, 21:55   #6
Zee
Inactive

Services: BT Infinity Option 2, BT Talk Unlimited, Three PAYG, Giffgaff PAYG, Sky TV Entertainment Package
Zee has reached the bronze age
Zee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze age

how does youtube perform?
Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2012, 21:56   #7
sniper007
Inactive

Fine, as fine as it can on VM. No difference on wireless to wired put it that way. This is only limited to skygo on my laptop wirelessly, yet wired works 100% fine on the same laptop. Maybe I have a problematic wireless card/driver. I might try it with another lappy. Damn annoying.
Old 20-03-2012, 23:23   #8
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Weird. If you get the full 50mb in a speedtest it can't be *that* broken.

Do a ping -t 192.168.100.1 and a ping -t www.bbc.co.uk at the same time, while trying Sky Go. Notice any weirdness?
Old 21-03-2012, 11:38   #9
sniper007
Inactive

Cheers for suggestion, will give it a go at some point one evening and post the results. I will also try with another laptop to test.