Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Installation Nightmare!!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Installation Issues

virgin media have run a cable up my wall
View Poll Results: can virgin media run a cable up my wall for another property
I think this is illegal 44 72.13%
I think it's ok 6 9.84%
I don't know 11 18.03%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old 26-06-2008, 13:02   #1
isismcbank
Inactive

isismcbank is an unknown quantity at this point
virgin media have run a cable up my wall

I have just seen that vm have run a cable up my wall and then it goes round the side of my property and up throuh the ajoining propertys window. I have rung VM as they have drilled into my wall most of the way up to run this cable, I spoke to a manager who said that they are allowed to run cable up any bodys property without there permisson and that they will not remove it, they have said they are within the law to use neighbours walls to do this for another property, please help as I need advice as I cannot see it is legal to drill holes ad damage someone elses property,

Thanks,

Emma.
isismcbank is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 26-06-2008, 13:53   #2
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: virgin media have run a cable up my wall

I've edited your poll as the original options didn't make a lot of sense.

Welcome to the forum.

The answer to this is a little complicated - to an extent it will depend on the nature of the title deeds to your house, and whether they confer any rights on your neighbours that might allow VM to do this.

Did they have to come on to your property in order to do the installation?
Is your house a terrace, semi or detached?
Do you know your neighbour, and did they discuss this with you in advance?

I think in general terms the way they have acted is probably not legal, and it might cause you problems later if you come to sell the house and it looks like a wayleave has become established, allowing your neighbours the right to drill holes in your walls in order to maintain/renew their cable TV installation.

You may have to consult a solicitor, and get a letter sent to VM threatening legal action to recover the cost of removing the cable and making good the damage caused, unless they send someone round to remedy it within 28 days.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2008, 14:07   #3
isismcbank
Inactive

Thank you for your advice the property is a terrace and the cable has been run up my extension at the back, there is nothing in my deeds that would allow them to do this. This neighbour did tell me they were having this done and did not discuss it, and when I spoke to them about it they called the police.
The worst thing was the manager at vm who said it is up to them where they put there cable and they do not need to seek anyones permission,
I shall get a letter wrote today, who is best to address it to.
Old 26-06-2008, 14:14   #4
m8internet
Inactive

m8internet is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by isismcbank View Post
This neighbour did tell me they were having this done and did not discuss it, and when I spoke to them about it they called the police
Can you clarify that, doesn't quite read right

Although there is nothing in your title deeds, most do not take into account changes in technology (what a surprise!)
Equally, planning permission for such devices (overground telecommunication cabling) is only required in environmentally sensitive areas
Communication with your neighbours is paramount

However, I believe you can request that the company return to your property and remove the offending cable, provide an alternative method of trunking to the property concerned, and offer remedial work to restore your property to its original condition
Is it worth all that hassle?
Similarly BT used to wire flats and tenements from poles in common areas, most of these have been replaced by on-building wiring, and to be honest overall it looks better
m8internet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2008, 14:16   #5
Jules
Inactive

Services: Don't have a clue any more.
Jules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny stars
Jules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny stars

I don't know the answer to this but if it isn't illegal it should be!
Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2008, 14:22   #6
isismcbank
Inactive

Yes I think It is worth the hassle for me as I do not see why companys like vm should just do as they please and deface someone elses property,
Old 26-06-2008, 14:42   #7
Saaf_laandon_mo
Inactive

Saaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny star
Saaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny star

I think VM have run the cable along your wall to save themselves teh hassle of looking at alternative solutions. I don't thing they can run cables along adjoining properties without property owners permission. Your wall is part of an extension so I dont even think it would constitute a shared party wall. Did they have to come into your garden to carry out the work?

I think you should address this with a solicitor asap. If you leave it too long it might become 'established' as such and I dont know what your legal rights might be.

Additionally even if you decide to leave the cable as is, bear in mind that if VM need to do anything to it in the future, they will be causing more aggro to your wall. If it was me I'd just cut the cable and ask them to prove who did it. (if they came back to me)
Saaf_laandon_mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2008, 14:50   #8
isismcbank
Inactive

I have been tempted with that everytime I look at it, they did not need to come into my property as it is my buisness premises that back onto a back street. As I said before there was no need for them to put it there, just like you said to much hassle and the cost of using 50cm more cable, Thank you I will contact my solicetor.
Old 26-06-2008, 14:58   #9
handyman
Permanently Banned

Services: M6 Keele
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to handyman

What a crock.

When I got a ntl; business telephone line installed I needed the permission of the landlord to run the cables up my own shop wall!!! I also needed the cable running over the shop next door which was also owned by the same landlord so it was no bother.

I would write a letter to vm and send it recorded advising them that they have 48hrs to remove the cable from your property or you will do so yourself.
handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2008, 15:01   #10
Druchii
cf.mega poster

Services: Canal Digital: 50/10
Druchii has a nice shiny star
Druchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny star

Remove the cable, it's on your property and you gave no permission for it to be there.

However, do not cut the cable, simply unclip it from the wall, and make sure it stays on your neighbours property. Next, seek advice from a solicitor.
Druchii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2008, 15:22   #11
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

When a customer requests a new service be supplied to a property, as part of that request they grant the service company, such as Virgin Media, a wayleave. The Wayleave allows the service cable or pipe to be run across that customer's property including gardens.

Since a customer has no control over land that he does not own, then there is no ability to for the customer to grant a right over the neighbour's land. If such a right is needed, that has to be formalised by a legal agreement, usually referred to as an easement, and this would be drawn up by solicitors and registered against the property title. An owner would know if he has been asked to agree to a new easement, and normally he would receive a payment for it.

It is the problem that freeholders and all leaseholders of blocks of flats each having to agree to wayleaves and easements being granted that prevents Virgin Media installing to many blocks of flats.

Virgin Media, as a supplier will have some rights to run cables around public highways and such like commone spaces controlled by the local authority. They may sometimes, depending on rights granted by the owners of it, be able to route cables over private roads to estates.

In this instance, no easement has been granted by you, the owner of your land and property to allow the cable to exist. It is thus clearly a tresspas and you have a right to demand that cease. If you are getting no sense by phone, a simple recorded delivery letter to Virgin Media telling them to immeiately cease the tresspass, removing the cable and making good all damage caused should suffice. Make it clear you will remove the cable yourself, if they do not comply, and accept no liability for resultant damage to their equipment, reserving the right to charge all costs you incur to them.

It would be advisable to maintain good relations with your neighbour to let them know there will be a problem and, whilst you don't blame your neighbour, their service may be cut off if VM don't get their act together.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2008, 15:31   #12
JediMaster
Inactive

JediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these parts

Hi Emma... Can I advise you to take a few Pictures of the New Wire installed by VM & include this with the letter your sending (as Proof) print it on A4 or something as a Draft for VM but keep the Digital snaps on Camera/PC for evidance. Just incase VM dispute it & remove cable (but leaves your wall damaged)

If possible would you post a few pictures here? Its kind-of hard to understand what & where VM have done.... So a Picture can show it (paints a 1,000 words) lol
JediMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2008, 15:45   #13
Saaf_laandon_mo
Inactive

Saaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny star
Saaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediMaster View Post
Hi Emma... Can I advise you to take a few Pictures of the New Wire installed by VM & include this with the letter your sending (as Proof) print it on A4 or something as a Draft for VM but keep the Digital snaps on Camera/PC for evidance. Just incase VM dispute it & remove cable (but leaves your wall damaged)

If possible would you post a few pictures here? Its kind-of hard to understand what & where VM have done.... So a Picture can show it (paints a 1,000 words) lol
What I would do is take the pictures, print them out, and then along with the letter post it to yourself as recorded delivery (Do this at the same time as sending letter to VM - again use recorded delivery). Do not open the envelope once it arrives - just sign for it. This is a good way of proving when the pics were sent if that becomes an issue in the future.

Robs post below is excellent too, basically explains everything very clearly.

You mentioned that your neighbours called the police? What happened then?
Saaf_laandon_mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2008, 17:10   #14
isismcbank
Inactive

Hi,

I will get some pics taking tomorrow and get them posted, all your advice has been great and really appreciated,

Emma.

---------- Post added at 16:10 ---------- Previous post was at 16:05 ----------

The police came and said it was a civil matter, but wanted to know why I wanted it removing and said it was on our property but was petty to ask her to remove it.I do not agree you cannot let companys stick cables where ever they like. The neighbouring property is a cafe and she is a strange lady, said I had threatened her with a letter, as it asked her to remove it as she was refusing to let me know the cable company. All very strange really I have never come across this before.
Yes robs post is excellant I am getting on with my letter as we speak
Old 26-06-2008, 17:39   #15
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by isismcbank View Post
The police came and said it was a civil matter, but wanted to know why I wanted it removing and said it was on our property but was petty to ask her to remove it.I do not agree you cannot let companys stick cables where ever they like. The neighbouring property is a cafe and she is a strange lady, said I had threatened her with a letter, as it asked her to remove it as she was refusing to let me know the cable company. All very strange really I have never come across this before.
Yes robs post is excellant I am getting on with my letter as we speak
The coppers who came round suggested it was 'petty' for you to want to remove it? Here's an idea, they can concentrate on catching crooks, and leave you to make your own decisions about your civil rights.

And ha ha to the strange lady, as if she thought there were dozens of cable companies out there and you'd never find out which one put the cable there...

TBH I'd have been tempted, had she said that to me, to tell her "that's a pity, because if I can't get the company to come and remove it, I'm going to have to do it myself." Then I might have brandished a pair of scissors at the cable.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote