Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Application Throttling/Management

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Woow, 20mb service really sucks.

Old 30-10-2008, 21:58   #1
Ruki
Inactive

Ruki is an unknown quantity at this point
Woow, 20mb service really sucks.

Just got it today and am not impressed! Used to get 1.2mb downloads with my 10mb service now it's only 1.4mb!

Is it just me or is it like this for everyone? If yes I'll be moving back to 10mb after 30 days.
Ruki is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 31-10-2008, 01:03   #2
AndyIggs83
Inactive

Services: NTL TV & 10MB BB
AndyIggs83 will become famous soon enoughAndyIggs83 will become famous soon enoughAndyIggs83 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to AndyIggs83
Re: Woow, 20mb service really sucks.

It used to be a similar situation for me when I had 20Mbit so just downgraded once the 10Mbit was upgraded in my area, much happier now and its a lot cheaper!
AndyIggs83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2008, 01:11   #3
cimt

cimt has a bronzed appealcimt has a bronzed appeal
cimt has a bronzed appealcimt has a bronzed appealcimt has a bronzed appeal

Are you using a wireless connection?
cimt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2008, 01:32   #4
rossdagley
Inactive

Services: SkyHD (Sky World) VM BB XL VM TV XL (V+)
rossdagley has a spectacular aura about themrossdagley has a spectacular aura about themrossdagley has a spectacular aura about themrossdagley has a spectacular aura about them

Hi Ruki

Sorry to report it's likely to be oversubscription on your UBR. Complain to VM is your best option - if you're REALLY lucky you might get a discount off your bill. If not, roll it back to 10mbit - it's not like you can use that 20mbit for long anyway.

I'm on my last few days with VM - SkyHD is already installed, and I'm awaiting my Sky Broadband install as we speak (<week). I'm better off with 16mbit 24/7 than 20mbit for less than 12/7...
rossdagley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2008, 02:34   #5
Kiryu
Inactive

Services: VM TV+BB XXL
Kiryu is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you tried tweaking your Computer before considerin to complain? I used to have that problem but after tweaking, everything is OK now. Specially with XP, you need to change RWIN values and BDP to get most out of your line.

Read: Optimizing your 20Mb Broadband COnnection
Kiryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2008, 11:20   #6
saabmania2

Services: VIP Pack
saabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to saabmania2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossdagley View Post
Hi Ruki

Sorry to report it's likely to be oversubscription on your UBR. Complain to VM is your best option - if you're REALLY lucky you might get a discount off your bill. If not, roll it back to 10mbit - it's not like you can use that 20mbit for long anyway.

I'm on my last few days with VM - SkyHD is already installed, and I'm awaiting my Sky Broadband install as we speak (<week). I'm better off with 16mbit 24/7 than 20mbit for less than 12/7...
hmmm 16mbit 24/7 are you sure???? would love to see that in reallity, hope it works out for you and that you live above the local exchange
saabmania2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2008, 11:24   #7
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by saabmania2 View Post
hmmm 16mbit 24/7 are you sure???? would love to see that in reallity, hope it works out for you and that you live above the local exchange
Or within ~2000m as 54.44% of Sky Broadband enabled premises are, but hey a at the end of the post always alleviates the need to use facts doesn't it?
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2008, 11:32   #8
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadbandings View Post
Or within ~2000m as 54.44% of Sky Broadband enabled premises are, but hey a at the end of the post always alleviates the need to use facts doesn't it?
Yeah but to be sure you're better off living next to the POTS switches and ADSL Equipment themselves
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2008, 12:03   #9
rossdagley
Inactive

rossdagley has a spectacular aura about themrossdagley has a spectacular aura about themrossdagley has a spectacular aura about themrossdagley has a spectacular aura about them

I was getting 17mbit on Bethere. I'm pretty confident I'll get 16mbit with Sky. Last night, I wasn't able to get 2Mb/sec even at 2am. Obvisouly I'm still on BBXL.

Right now, I'm getting <>1Mb/sec. It's a joke. Like others have said, I'd be better off paying for the 10Mbit service tier and saving myself a small fortune. But I've already chosen Sky for this, and SkyHD - no caps, and no phorm.
Old 31-10-2008, 17:21   #10
saabmania2

Services: VIP Pack
saabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to saabmania2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossdagley View Post
I was getting 17mbit on Bethere. I'm pretty confident I'll get 16mbit with Sky. Last night, I wasn't able to get 2Mb/sec even at 2am. Obvisouly I'm still on BBXL.

Right now, I'm getting <>1Mb/sec. It's a joke. Like others have said, I'd be better off paying for the 10Mbit service tier and saving myself a small fortune. But I've already chosen Sky for this, and SkyHD - no caps, and no phorm.
as i said i hope it works out for you, as you've already had adsl you have got a reasonable idea of what it will be like.
i have to say that 1-2mb on a 20mb service is complete pooh and you would be better off by the sounds of it on adsl
as and when phorm is released i'm with you there i will go somewhere else, i might even just go for a mobile broadband service
all the best with your new service and let us know how it goes
saabmania2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2008, 17:48   #11
Turkey Machine
Inactive

Services: Company LLU internet, soon-to-be company FTTC internet at 56Mb/20Mb!
Turkey Machine has reached the bronze age
Turkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze age

I live 500 metres as the crow flies from the exchange, back home in Lowestoft. (I live about that from the nearest one in Nottingham! I pick good uni residences, don't I? ) We're on a 2Mbit (actually 2272 Kbps) service with Orange in Lowestoft, and we get just that. No throttling, no bad pings, no download limits (AFAIK, but it's not used 24/7) even though there's a FUP. Upload is 288Kbps. If I had another phone line and an 8 or 16Mb broadband service, I've almost no doubt that I'd be getting what I paid for. It's just picking the right supplier!

Oversubscription is something the regulator Ofcom needs to look at. It needs to be stopped, and better investment in the infrastructure to give you the service provided. Ideally, if they state in legislation that the ISP has to give to you the contention ratio you'd be connected to, and the maximum contention ratio the UBR can support with everybody on the maximum tier, then that'd make many of us very happy, I think, to know just what we're getting.
Turkey Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2008, 19:08   #12
rossdagley
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkey Machine View Post
<snip> the ISP has to give to you the contention ratio you'd be connected to, and the maximum contention ratio the UBR can support with everybody on the maximum tier, then that'd make many of us very happy, I think, to know just what we're getting.

Ouch - thats (unfortunately) never ever going to happen. One UBS supports what... about 4 BBXL users? (I read it somewhere but cannot remember the saturation of the upstream off the top of my head - I'm sure someone will be along to correct me shortly...)

Regardless, VM are never going to publically say "this UBR supports "x" users but we're putting "xxx" on it anyway."