Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Android Tablet

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion

Android Tablet

Old 05-06-2017, 00:25   #1
nashville
nashville

Services: Virgin Media
nashville has a nice shiny star
nashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny star
Android Tablet

There was an Android Superfast 9" Quad. Core Tablet advertised in the Sunday Post for £89' 8GB from pressplayshopping, I was going to buy it for my husband as he would be a beginner to technology, Does anyone know if it is a good one or any suggestions, . I am used to my Apple I Pad , Don't know enough obout Android ,
nashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 05-06-2017, 09:05   #2
Inactive Digital
cf.addict

Services: VM broadband, Stream, phone. Sky Q
Inactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to behold
Re: Android Tablet

Hi Nashville,
Please read this article before buying from this company.
Personally, I'd stay well clear of them.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/exp...ow-joined.html
Inactive Digital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 11:50   #3
nashville
nashville

nashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny star

Thanks for this link, Looks like a dodgy lot, I will look elsewhere for one,
Old 05-06-2017, 15:13   #4
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

For a cheap but reasonable useful tablet, you might want to consider the Amazon Fire HD

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01J94YS8C/

It's not a 'full' Android tablet as it doesn't have the Google Play store, but it does have most of the popular apps, and of course is fully hooked in to Amazon.
Old 05-06-2017, 15:57   #5
Tricky Trevor
cf.geek

Services: Gig1,Ultimate Volt,Virgin 360x2, O2 mobile
Tricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of Quads

Or if he wants a big screen and money is no object there is always the Virgin Media Telly Tablet http://www.virginmedia.com/shop/mobile/showtime.html
Old 05-06-2017, 18:53   #6
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
For a cheap but reasonable useful tablet, you might want to consider the Amazon Fire HD

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01J94YS8C/

It's not a 'full' Android tablet as it doesn't have the Google Play store, but it does have most of the popular apps, and of course is fully hooked in to Amazon.
I have just got a fire HD it's not bad at all
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 20:28   #7
nashville
nashville

What do you mean by " its hooked into Amazon ? The price seems OK as it would be his first one and just a beginner, Does it still connect through my Internet, ( Virgin ).

---------- Post added at 19:28 ---------- Previous post was at 19:27 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky Trevor View Post
Or if he wants a big screen and money is no object there is always the Virgin Media Telly Tablet http://www.virginmedia.com/shop/mobile/showtime.html
Trying to keep the price down Thanks
Old 05-06-2017, 22:03   #8
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashville View Post
What do you mean by " its hooked into Amazon ? The price seems OK as it would be his first one and just a beginner, Does it still connect through my Internet, ( Virgin ).
<snip>

Trying to keep the price down Thanks
I have a Kindle Fire and mine connects to the internet via my VM WiFi. It is an Amazon tablet so you get the apps via Amazon in the same way as as other tablets use Google Play, or Apple's dedicated store. With the Kindle you also have access direct to the Kindle version of a vast range of books, many of which are free or just 99p. If you have Amazon Prime there are even more options.

A tad simplistic but this links will give you a good idea of what the Fire does.
http://www.wikihow.com/Use-a-Kindle-Fire

Last edited by joglynne; 05-06-2017 at 22:06.
joglynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 22:06   #9
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

The fire tablets run a custom version of Android and it is only the amazon app store and the kindle store that are available.
Old 05-06-2017, 23:11   #10
nashville
nashville

Thanks. I understand it a bit more now ,
Old 06-06-2017, 12:03   #11
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

Also check out Amazon Underground where there are paid apps for free. Some/most will show an ad on startup and some other ads of varying degrees but you don't pay real money. Some even have in app purchases free which can save much more money.
Old 06-06-2017, 13:33   #12
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Amazon Underground and it's free apps are being removed soon.
Old 12-06-2017, 15:21   #13
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

I just put the google App Store on my fire and if I can do it it can't be that hard.
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2017, 02:57   #14
Matth
Inactive

Services: BB:M, TV:XL, Phone:M, Loyalty
Matth has reached the bronze age
Matth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze age

Also, the tablet info from them does not seem to specify how much RAM, and 512k is just PAINFUL - if you don't have at least 1MB, then it's got hardly any RAM free after the obligatory background stuff is loaded.

Might be worth watching hotukdeals for offers
http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/leno...-argos-2712442
A few bones picked with it, but with 2GB RAM, at least it will be choke free

Or the odd pick from groupon, not sure if code FIRST still works - but they also do a lot of crappy 512k RAM models
https://www.groupon.co.uk/deals/10-a...skygo-tablet-2
Interesting, a 10 incher with a SIM slot, does that make it a phablet? Could also operate as an extremely large satnav, with offline map and online traffic via mobile data (Here maps operates this way if you have data allowed and an offline map loaded)
Rather dated KitKat (4.4) Android though

10 incher with Lollipop (5.1) Android, with HDMI (can connect to a TV)
https://www.groupon.co.uk/deals/time...sd-memory-card

https://www.groupon.co.uk/deals/koca...android-tablet
£34.99 for a 7 inch with 1MB RAM (8GB flash, typically about 5GB usable) - I paid that for my crappy 512k model, and while I doubt this will be a stellar performer, with 1MB it would at least TRY to run most things.

If you can catch a Kindle Fire next time it's offered at £34.99, it's probably a better one AFTER sideloading google play store
Matth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2017, 21:18   #15
rovert
Inactive

Services: Ex VM now P.O. BB & phone, Freeview.
rovert is on a distinguished roadrovert is on a distinguished road

Have just bought an Acer Iconia one 10 from Argos on offer at £99.99. That's £30 off for the blue case but still full price for black. Great buy for the money.

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/6745431
rovert is offline   Reply With Quote