Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | TV Service down in Falkirk area

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

What does the V+ box do all night ?

Old 03-05-2012, 11:36   #1
clumsymum
Inactive

Services: BB M TV L and V+ Phone L
clumsymum is on a distinguished roadclumsymum is on a distinguished road
What does the V+ box do all night ?

right, after my other half signed us up for an upgrade to Tivo, our V+ box has been moved up to the bedroom. It is driving me do-lally.

Every so often through the night (and possibly the day too) even tho the box is in stand-by, I can hear the hard disk coming up. The box isn't set to record anything, there aren't any special lights showing on the front, it simply runs the hard drive for a few minutes, then it stops. After a random time, it's quite likely to start up again (usually just as I'm dozing off). I know they don't make a hugely loud noise, but in the dark when everything else is quiet, it is quite audible.

Now I know the boxes are supposed to receive software updates overnight, but EVERY night ? and more than once or twice a night ?

I'm thinking of making the point by just disconnecting the power at night time, altho of course then it might not get some sort of important update.

And anyway, I am just intrigued by what it is actually doing - and how much power is it using every 24 hrs?
clumsymum is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 03-05-2012, 12:05   #2
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
Re: What does the V+ box do all night ?

The EPG data held by the box is updated nightly. Typically starts just after midnight GMT. It has to do that as the EPG is for the 7 days ahead so at some point the system needs to drop the expired day and add the next. This process is a pain in the backside as often the V+ will become unresponsive.

As for the hourly or so spin up, no real idea, but I'd imagine the box is checking itself to see if it needs to start a recording?
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:13   #3
jaf1968
Inactive

jaf1968 is an unknown quantity at this point

Turn ours off at night... The 27 minute past whirring bugged me!!
jaf1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 13:34   #4
antonyb
Inactive

antonyb is an unknown quantity at this point

Ditto same here, lost so many good nights sleep over the v+ box whirring, phoned Virgin up to see if I could downgrade to a normal box but was told it would cost £20 and would still probably have the same problem!
antonyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 14:03   #5
jempalmer

Services: 500gb Tivo & V+. TV XL, 60MB BB, M Phone.

I was asked if I wanted to keep the V+ when upgrading to Tivo. Decided to do so and returned the VHD. The V+ is a bit noisy but you can always unplug it at night.
I don't see how a VHD box would "probably" have the same issue. It has no hdd to spin up at random and I don't recall ours making any noise at all. I assume the £20 charge would be to cover carriage/ admin etc.
Old 03-05-2012, 14:35   #6
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one

The V+ boxes usually fire up at Midnight, 6am, Midday and 6pm and hourly at about 17 -18 mins past the hour. Don't know what it's for, but it's never bothered me as the fan in mine is fairly quiet.
nodrogd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 15:11   #7
jempalmer

It's not just the fan that makes noise. The hard disc also whirrs when it's in use.
Old 03-05-2012, 19:30   #8
clumsymum
Inactive

I wasn't aware it has a fan, It just sounds like a disk drive to me.
Old 03-05-2012, 20:16   #9
jempalmer

It has a cooling fan, like a computer. It starts when the heat increases, when the box is busy.
Old 03-05-2012, 21:05   #10
zappa100
Inactive

zappa100 is an unknown quantity at this point

No need to unplug it. There is a on/off rocker switch on the back
zappa100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 21:19   #11
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Anyone else think that cheap hard ware was used in the boxes to make so much noise as to keep people awake
Old 03-05-2012, 21:36   #12
jempalmer

I use a "green" plug bank that switches off all non essential devices when they're not required (at night in my case). My V+ is in the bedroom, so when it's time to sleep I turn off all non essential devices by remote.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:44   #13
andy_m
cf.mega poster

Services: VIP
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array

So if I turn mine off at night will it automatically download the updated epg when I switch it back on in the morning? ie. is there a downside to switching it off each night?
andy_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 11:16   #14
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one

Switching off causes a complete reload of the EPG (same as a reboot). Current days programmes are loaded first and you are probably looking at 5 -10 mins for the full 7 days to load. The only big problem would be if you hit a software update, and then you could be waiting 10 - 15 mins before it then completes a second reboot.
nodrogd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 11:26   #15
clumsymum
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodrogd View Post
Switching off causes a complete reload of the EPG (same as a reboot). Current days programmes are loaded first and you are probably looking at 5 -10 mins for the full 7 days to load. The only big problem would be if you hit a software update, and then you could be waiting 10 - 15 mins before it then completes a second reboot.
so as long as I switch it back on at least 20 mins before I want to watch anything on it .... ??