Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | CF: Clickers Corner

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Science & Technology

CF: Clickers Corner

Old 08-08-2009, 10:59   #61
Delta Whiskey
Inactive

Services: 10Mb BB, DTV & Phone
Delta Whiskey has a nice shiny star
Delta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny star
Re: CF: Clickers Corner

15 Great And Free Photoshop Alternatives - http://ow.ly/jkNt

I regularly use Photoscape for quick and dirty editing.
Delta Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-08-2009, 12:29   #62
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Whiskey View Post
15 Great And Free Photoshop Alternatives - http://ow.ly/jkNt

I regularly use Photoscape for quick and dirty editing.
Thanks for that link. So far I have tried out PaintStar which has some interesting options.
Old 09-08-2009, 17:39   #63
jabtas
Inactive

jabtas has much to be proud ofjabtas has much to be proud ofjabtas has much to be proud ofjabtas has much to be proud ofjabtas has much to be proud ofjabtas has much to be proud ofjabtas has much to be proud ofjabtas has much to be proud ofjabtas has much to be proud ofjabtas has much to be proud of

Quote:
I'm looking at buying a macro lens for my D90, a friend has lent me a Tamron 90mm macro lens to have a play with (guess who spent the first few minutes wondering why he couldn't zoom). Previous to that I was using a set of close up filters I bought off e-bay for £16, they are OK for occasional use but the quality is less than stellar.
DW, the Tamron Macro lens is supposed to be a beauty

Also check out the Sigma range of macro, I have the 105mm and very good it is too

Got this thirsty wasp with it today
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 115882378.qFXdhEB3.LatestIMG_6970.JPG (49.9 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 115882380.MjS3zTKJ.LatestIMG_7031.JPG (49.6 KB, 15 views)
jabtas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 20:56   #64
Delta Whiskey
Inactive

Delta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabtas View Post
DW, the Tamron Macro lens is supposed to be a beauty

Also check out the Sigma range of macro, I have the 105mm and very good it is too

Got this thirsty wasp with it today
The only problem with the Tamron is that it's a non CPU lens which on a Nikon D90 means no autofocus and more importantly no metering either. At least the highlight warning (the blinkies) and the histogram give me some idea of what's correct. I've spent some time digging through old boxes looking for my hand held light meter, of course I can't find it. <sigh>

Love your photo's of the wasp, cracking stuff.
Old 15-08-2009, 17:45   #65
idi banashapan
step on my trip

idi banashapan has a nice shiny star
idi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny star

I've always found it better to get good glass by the camera manufacturer for macro and mid-range lenses. I wouldn't rate Sigma as great tbh (nor tameron) even though they have been around a long time. more budget lenses than anything. It's worth spending the majority of you budget on getting the best glass you can with a body that is good enough. it's much cheaper and easier to upgrade the body alone rather than the lens collection imo.

---------- Post added at 16:45 ---------- Previous post was at 16:26 ----------

oh - forgot to add what I use too...

currently use a Canon 50D as my main camera but have multiple cameras around the house for snap-shot stuff where the DSLR is too much. I mainly use the body with a Canon 17-85 Ultrasonic EF-S lens, but also have a Sigma 55-200 which I try to avoid if I can help it, but it can give nice portrait results provided the F stop is low and the light is very good. it's not that great for general use though as details are not too high. I also have a Canon Speedlite 430EX and multiple lens filters. other random bits in the bag include remote shutter release, reflector discs, tripod, etc, etc. it can get quite expensive, especially as I don't really make much money from it. More a hobby that I really enjoy.
Old 21-08-2009, 10:31   #66
Delta Whiskey
Inactive

FastStone Photo Resizer is an image converter / resizer intended to enable users to convert, rename, resize, crop, rotate, change color depth, add text and watermarks to images in a quick and easy batch mode. Drag and Drop mouse operation is well supported.

Free for Home Users - http://www.faststone.org/FSResizerDetail.htm
Old 21-08-2009, 10:48   #67
joglynne
Born again teenager.

joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

Useful looking program DW.
Old 21-08-2009, 11:50   #68
Delta Whiskey
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by joglynne View Post
Useful looking program DW.
You can never have too many photo manipulation programs.
Old 21-08-2009, 12:09   #69
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Quote:
You can never have too many photo manipulation programs.
As long as they don't take any money out of my contingency shoe fund. These days you never know when you will spot a shoe sale.
Old 21-08-2009, 19:40   #70
Delta Whiskey
Inactive

Quote:
As long as they don't take any money out of my contingency shoe fund. These days you never know when you will spot a shoe sale.
I've read about your emergency shoe fund in other threads.

I'm a size 12, I have to take what I can get.
Old 22-08-2009, 17:59   #71
Delta Whiskey
Inactive

http://www.earthalbum.com/

"earth album is a simpler, slicker Flickr mash-up that allows you to explore some of the most stunning photos in the world courtesy of Google maps and Flickr. To begin your journey, just click somewhere on the map, e.g. "India". Note-- since the top Flickr images are used, the images change every few weeks; bookmark this site and check back for a different experience in a month!"
Old 25-08-2009, 18:58   #72
Delta Whiskey
Inactive

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2550/...ee5f2110_b.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2009-08-25 - Brynmill Park - Busy Bee.jpg (55.2 KB, 9 views)
Old 25-08-2009, 19:26   #73
joglynne
Born again teenager.

I like that photo DW you can almost see the divisions on the little chaps wings. Have you ever tried to do any, the name escapes me, freeze? photography?

I've still not had a chance to get out with my camera, having to catch up on all the time I lost due to my duff wrist has kept me inside. Still, I am starting to make inroads into my backlog of work and as I am determined not to work over the coming weekend, with luck I may have some new photos to play with soon.

On a moan note. I keep all my reference shots on an sd card and I have managed to loose it.

I took the card to a friends house to download some photos he had that I wanted to use and realised it was missing from it's case. Can't find it anywhere. No great problem as I'm not using the photos on it for any current works but it contained the photos that I have based a lot of my work on so I feel as though I have lost something important. I can't believe I hadn't made a back up copy. I have copies of everything else salted away in various locations, so why didn't I copy these photos!

Learn from my mistake folks, keep taking backup copies.
Old 25-08-2009, 20:25   #74
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

I won a brand new camera today

http://www.facebook.com/tapandtake

Samsungs new touch screen compact camera. So surprised I won! its not a cheap camera either. £299
Old 25-08-2009, 20:40   #75
Delta Whiskey
Inactive

Quote:
I like that photo DW you can almost see the divisions on the little chaps wings. Have you ever tried to do any, the name escapes me, freeze? photography?

I've still not had a chance to get out with my camera, having to catch up on all the time I lost due to my duff wrist has kept me inside. Still, I am starting to make inroads into my backlog of work and as I am determined not to work over the coming weekend, with luck I may have some new photos to play with soon.

On a moan note. I keep all my reference shots on an sd card and I have managed to loose it.

I took the card to a friends house to download some photos he had that I wanted to use and realised it was missing from it's case. Can't find it anywhere. No great problem as I'm not using the photos on it for any current works but it contained the photos that I have based a lot of my work on so I feel as though I have lost something important. I can't believe I hadn't made a back up copy. I have copies of everything else salted away in various locations, so why didn't I copy these photos!

Learn from my mistake folks, keep taking backup copies.
I think you mean high speed flash photography. I'm saving my pennies to buy the dedicated flash gun for my Nikon D90, unfortunately it's over £300.

Hopefully you'll have some nice weather this weekend to get out there with your camera.

I learned the backup lesson a long time ago, I lost all my data when the computer hard drive was formatted instead of a floppy disk (DH0 instead of DF0), "Please insert volume Workbench" is seared on my soul.

---------- Post added at 19:40 ---------- Previous post was at 19:39 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
I won a brand new camera today

http://www.facebook.com/tapandtake

Samsungs new touch screen compact camera. So surprised I won! its not a cheap camera either. £299
Congratulations, you'll have to post a review of it for us.