Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | After 13 years with Virgin

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Qam64 & qam256

Old 30-05-2012, 12:24   #1
dxl
Inactive

dxl is an unknown quantity at this point
Qam64 & qam256

I've just had the engineer round to see if he could fix the constant hard drive noise on my TiVo. Apparently they are all like this but was willing to swap it over with another box, a Cisco one. As I have the newer Samsung one, I declined as I assume it was better - although there is probably no difference between them and the engineer confirmed this.

Nether-the-less, during this process, he changed the setting of the TiVo box from QAM256 to QAM64 in some kind of technical settings mode. Does anyone here know what that does and whether I should change it back to QAM256?

It would be also great if anyone else has the constant ticking of the hard drive and any solutions you have to reduce the noise (I'm sure when I last checked, my sisters TiVo was silent).

Thanks
dxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 30-05-2012, 13:11   #2
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
Re: Qam64 & qam256

they all tick, they have moving parts inside. the engineer cant change the qam, its pre determined by the way tge networks set up
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2012, 14:32   #3
essjay
cf.addict

essjay has a reputation beyond reputeessjay has a reputation beyond reputeessjay has a reputation beyond reputeessjay has a reputation beyond reputeessjay has a reputation beyond reputeessjay has a reputation beyond reputeessjay has a reputation beyond reputeessjay has a reputation beyond reputeessjay has a reputation beyond reputeessjay has a reputation beyond reputeessjay has a reputation beyond reputeessjay has a reputation beyond reputeessjay has a reputation beyond repute

As jb66 as already pointed out the QAM setting cannot be changed by the service techs, these are all defined by the engineers who work in the national headend. If the QAM is a 256QAM then this cannot be changed.
essjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2012, 18:14   #4
andy_m
cf.mega poster

Services: VIP
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array

However, if you have constant hard drive noise then you should have accepted the swap.
andy_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2012, 18:27   #5
dxl
Inactive

dxl is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for clarifying the QAM question.

Regarding the constant hard drive noise, the guy re-assured me this is the norm. I was a little sceptical as its constant and has been for the past 2 weeks since it was installed. Fair enough if it was ticking every now and then, but 24/7? I've even de-activated all recordings for the time being to see if it makes any difference but it hasn't...

If its a defective box, then I'll be back on the phone to VM. Whats everyones else TiVo box like? Are there times when it is completely silent?
dxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2012, 18:35   #6
jonandmarkuk
Inactive

Services: Samsung HU8550 (SEK-3500), Yamaha RXV777, Full House TV, 200Mb, 2 VM v6 Tivos, Slingbox.
jonandmarkuk is on a distinguished roadjonandmarkuk is on a distinguished road

The drive in the box will never stop spinning, they are designed to work 24/7.
It's normal to hear a little sound from the drives and it maybe being amplified by the stand you have Tivo on?
You could try the small foam pads under the feet of Tivo to see if that cuts down the noise.
jonandmarkuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2012, 18:40   #7
hjf288
Inactive

Services: 50Mbit
hjf288 is just really nicehjf288 is just really nicehjf288 is just really nicehjf288 is just really nicehjf288 is just really nicehjf288 is just really nice

Can you replace the hard drive with any or does it have special firmware?
hjf288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2012, 18:41   #8
jempalmer

Services: 500gb Tivo & V+. TV XL, 60MB BB, M Phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjf288 View Post
Can you replace the hard drive with any or does it have special firmware?
No, they're encrypted to the individual STB.
Old 30-05-2012, 19:13   #9
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

its constantly buffering 3 tuners, it will always be active
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote