Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Blackburn down or being fobbed off?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

A few Big Questions

Old 29-04-2012, 13:49   #1
JudgeDrokk
Inactive

JudgeDrokk is an unknown quantity at this point
A few Big Questions

Hello!

Right... i just got "doubled up" from 50 to 100 meg, (thanks for not telling me Virgin), ... only found out when i looked at my account.....

Anyhow......

1. I still have this modem http://i940.photobucket.com/albums/a..._HI-728-75.jpg
I have not been contacted by virgin with regard to replacing with a Superhub.
so, my question is...... should i get a superhub, or stick with this and the d-link router that came with it.?

The main use for the internet here, is a wired tower pc upstairs, wired, and laptop downstairs....... which is needed for mrs for work, all day, and all eve.

Dropping connections, and all the other horror stories i hear about would not be an option, as if i was at work i would not be able to "get things going again", so it needs to be stable........ at the moment it it rock solid... so i dont know weather to get a superhub or not as the risk may be too great, just to try and get those last few Mbps ( i max at 94.4 wired at the mo), cos it would be a DISASTER if the service was not as relable as it is now.......

2. When i was on 50m, before the double speed ugrade, i could always get 45 meg through VPN, thru a London server with giganews..... or 48 meg without VPN, when using usenet, at any time of the day. Since my double speed, i cant get near that, and have tried various servers in London, Paris, Frankfurt, Amsterdam, and also using verious protocols.... they get worse if anything...... Giga says all good at there side...... any ideas?

3... Anyone using Giganews accelerator? ive been using it for ages, due to using an old news grabber (newsbin pro 4.XX), which i dont think nativly supported SSL, so this filled the gap, should i bin it, as it requires to be connected to port 119 for usenet..........

4 Vigin's P2P throttling........ going port 453 gets around this?
but does not get around traffic management mased on volume? (10 gig limit, most of the day and eve)..... (Woo! u can have 100 meg, but only for 45 mins, then we cut u up real bad!!)

5... Is there a way to sidestep traffic managment other than the kind that going port 443 works wround (p2p). Is VPN the only way?

This was fine till my vpm speeds went down, instead of up when i went from 50 to 100m speed.

Thanks!
JudgeDrokk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-04-2012, 14:02   #2
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Services: Sky Unlimited FibrePro Sky Talk Sky+HD
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Re: A few Big Questions

Getting a superhub will surely add to your issues.
Mick Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2012, 14:15   #3
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Re 4) 4pm - 9pm is not, IMHO, most of the day and evening, and don't you think using the phrase 'cut u up real bad' is a trifle dramatic to describe a speed reduction to what you had before the free upgrade?

Also, you may wish to consider a business contract, with the attendant SLAs, if your wife is dependant on the BB connection all day and evening for her work - enhanced resolution times.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2012, 14:19   #4
DJSADERS
Ex - McNicholas Guildford

Services: Sky Q 1TB, 2 x Sky Q Minis, Virgin Media Business Voom Fibre 2
DJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to DJSADERS

I would say you should try to get the superhub, as that buh you have now was never intended to be used for 100mb (as far as i'm aware), and you would get your full speed with one

99% of the problems have been fixed now too
DJSADERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2012, 14:29   #5
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJSADERS View Post
I would say you should try to get the superhub, as that buh you have now was never intended to be used for 100mb (as far as i'm aware), and you would get your full speed with one

99% of the problems have been fixed now too
both statements wrong there, sorry

VMNG300 can cope fine with 100mb, you should also see full speeds

and there are still major issues with the superhub which have been present since day one
craigj2k12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2012, 14:42   #6
DJSADERS
Ex - McNicholas Guildford

Services: Sky Q 1TB, 2 x Sky Q Minis, Virgin Media Business Voom Fibre 2
DJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to DJSADERS

i don't have any problems with the superhub now... compared to last year... the only thing i feel it is missing now is the option for custom dns servers
DJSADERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2012, 14:57   #7
JudgeDrokk
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Re 4) 4pm - 9pm is not, IMHO, most of the day and evening, and don't you think using the phrase 'cut u up real bad' is a trifle dramatic to describe a speed reduction to what you had before the free upgrade?

Also, you may wish to consider a business contract, with the attendant SLAs, if your wife is dependant on the BB connection all day and evening for her work - enhanced resolution times.
10 am to 3pm and then from 4 pm to 9 pm IS most of the day and evening...

1 hour out of 6 is "most".........

"'cut u up real bad' is a trifle dramatic to describe a speed reduction to what you had before the free upgrade? "

well, untill the upgrade, i could get almost my full speed and avoid TM thru VPN, now it seems i cant, so that is "CUT UP REAL BAD",.......

Infact, instead of "standing tall", as i thougnt i would be...... ive been "diced and sliced", ...... now that IS dramatic......!

[img]Download Failed (1)[/img]
Old 29-04-2012, 14:58   #8
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Actually 5pm-midnight weekdays, 12pm-midnight weekends.

Quote:
While there might be a better SLA, it's still run over the same residential network so not inherently any faster or more reliable; there's no prioritisation and the static IP's over a tunnel so increases latency, and adds even more points of failure. Oh, and I hear the Business Superhub isn't any better either.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2012, 15:06   #9
JudgeDrokk
Inactive

Regarding the statment.......
"actually 5pm-midnight weekdays, 12pm-midnight weekends."

I thought all days were the same now? I didnt know weekend were any diffent?

as seen here http://www.virginmedia.com/images/ST...ove_800pxA.jpg
Old 29-04-2012, 15:28   #10
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudgeDrokk View Post
10 am to 3pm and then from 4 pm to 9 pm IS most of the day and evening...

1 hour out of 6 is "most".........

"'cut u up real bad' is a trifle dramatic to describe a speed reduction to what you had before the free upgrade? "

well, untill the upgrade, i could get almost my full speed and avoid TM thru VPN, now it seems i cant, so that is "CUT UP REAL BAD",.......

Infact, instead of "standing tall", as i thougnt i would be...... ive been "diced and sliced", ...... now that IS dramatic......!

You stated, in your OP, 10GB most of the day and evening - 10-3 is 20GB, 4-9 is 10GB.... (and I don't ever remember seeing a definition of "most of the day and evening" as equating to 6 hours....).

Your current explanation of "cut up real bad" differs from your OP, which was
Quote:
Woo! u can have 100 meg, but only for 45 mins, then we cut u up real bad
implying, in my eyes, that the reduction from your free upgrade of 100Mb/s to the STM'ed speed of 50Mb/s (which was the speed you had before the free upgrade) was "cutting u up real bad....

btw, some posters on CF have reported downloading 26GB before the 100Mb/s STM kicks in.

New STM table - http://www.virginmedia.com/images/table_30mb_800px2.jpg
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2012, 16:30   #11
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Are we talking about STM or protocol shaping here....

Assuming most people get the new STM not long before the new speeds, then it's not particularly unfair as you never end up with less speed than you have before.

On the other hand if protocol shaping is making something work slower on 100mb than it was before on 50mb, nomatter how much you use, that is a problem.

---------- Post added at 15:30 ---------- Previous post was at 15:25 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudgeDrokk View Post
Woo! u can have 100 meg, but only for 45 mins, then we cut u up real bad!!)
Actually 12 minutes at peak times.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2012, 16:43   #12
JudgeDrokk
Inactive

Anyhow, regarding the original questions at the top,

any definitive answers?

and this is my modem........ faulty link above......

http://www.theinquirer.net/img/10945...jpg?1241332171
Old 30-04-2012, 15:47   #13
JudgeDrokk
Inactive

Any answers to these... 2. When i was on 50m, before the double speed ugrade, i could always get 45 meg through VPN, thru a London server with giganews..... or 48 meg without VPN, when using usenet, at any time of the day. Since my double speed, i cant get near that, and have tried various servers in London, Paris, Frankfurt, Amsterdam, and also using verious protocols.... they get worse if anything...... Giga says all good at there side...... any ideas?

3... Anyone using Giganews accelerator? ive been using it for ages, due to using an old news grabber (newsbin pro 4.XX), which i dont think nativly supported SSL, so this filled the gap, should i bin it, as it requires to be connected to port 119 for usenet..........