Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Sky Cable Broadband?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Other ISPs Discussion

BT Infinity - truly unlimited?

Old 05-02-2012, 15:01   #1
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
BT Infinity - truly unlimited?

According to a few old posts around the web (circa 2010) BT Infinity had a fair use limit of 300GB/month after which you'd get traffic shaped.

According to their current website however, this seems to have changed as it specifically states:

Code:
Is traffic management used to manage compliance with data caps and download limits?
     No
Is traffic management used in relation to heavy users?
     No

Can anyone confirm/deny this means it's now completely unlimited (or are they just pulling the wool over my eyes?)
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 05-02-2012, 16:58   #2
Arthur Hucksake
Inactive

Arthur Hucksake is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: BT Infinity - truly unlimited?

I'm on Infinity, downloaded 400gb last month. No caps or FUP is in force. Can also tell by logging in online and what use to have a 300gb usage metre, no longer moves.

The FUP and limit was scrapped last March.

The only throttling in place is on torrents and such, but P2P streams don't appear to be effected.

Newsgroup usage isn't throttled at any time of day.

A month after the cap was lifted I tested the water and took the mick a bit (1TB use in a month), no emails, no budging usage metre still.
Arthur Hucksake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 18:18   #3
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Good to know - thanks. I'm quite similar in that I usually average about 300-500GB/month depending on the month, but have the occasional spike to 1TB on the rare occasion. I don't P2P, and with no other shaping to speak of it looks like I should be full speed all the way

Incidentally, the day I decided to order Infinity it looks like my VM 50mb decided to give up:
Old 05-02-2012, 18:49   #4
Arthur Hucksake
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
Good to know - thanks. I'm quite similar in that I usually average about 300-500GB/month depending on the month, but have the occasional spike to 1TB on the rare occasion. I don't P2P, and with no other shaping to speak of it looks like I should be full speed all the way

Incidentally, the day I decided to order Infinity it looks like my VM 50mb decided to give up:
Infinity is a very good product. I've had lots of ISPs over the years but they have been spot on.

Get into trouble, it's often better to approach them on Twitter @BTCare to get a resolution because you are then dealing with the contact centre in Northern Ireland who are on the ball.

My only gripe with Infinity is that if for whatever reason your profile gets dropped (can spot it by pings going up, main line dropping a few MB) the only solution seems to be for an engineer to come out. All they then do is make a phone call to get the IP profile reset. Pretty daft if you ask me.
Old 05-02-2012, 18:57   #5
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Hmm, that last bit is a curious one. I've seen people's pings go up and down on Infinity - though not requiring an engineer visit. That said BT claim Infinity doesn't use DLM - so who knows? Either way I'm estimated at a full 40/10 (profile 17a) till 80mbps comes out anyway.
Old 05-02-2012, 19:02   #6
Arthur Hucksake
Inactive

Quote:
Hmm, that last bit is a curious one. I've seen people's pings go up and down on Infinity - though not requiring an engineer visit. That said BT claim Infinity doesn't use DLM - so who knows? Either way I'm estimated at a full 40/10 (profile 17a) till 80mbps comes out anyway.
When your line drops to about 34MBit and your ping is constantly 35ms to speedtest.net for a couple of weeks, rest assured you have been stuck down on their "safe" profile as they put it.

Happened to us after bad weather and local exchange took a battering.

I pressed the issue with the Indian call centre who denied there being a problem.

Soon as I got onto the Northern Ireland folk they knew the issue pretty much right away and it was sorted.

Average ping of 20ms is what you should be getting on Infinity.
Old 11-02-2012, 15:36   #7
Zee
Inactive

Services: BT Infinity Option 2, BT Talk Unlimited, Three PAYG, Giffgaff PAYG, Sky TV Entertainment Package
Zee has reached the bronze age
Zee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze age

i have to agree, infinity is a superior product to VM in almost all ways, although if you do use P2P during the evening hours i'd stick to VM. I do know option 2 is truly unlimited.
Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:16   #8
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Hucksake View Post
When your line drops to about 34MBit and your ping is constantly 35ms to speedtest.net for a couple of weeks, rest assured you have been stuck down on their "safe" profile as they put it.

Average ping of 20ms is what you should be getting on Infinity.
Nah - that's not right. Speedtest.net is as variable as the internet. I get 22ms ping on London TranceFM and 51 ms on London Namesco.

My speed does indeed drop to 34 Mbps or even lower now that Cab 22 has woken up, but I can't trust speedtest.net when measuring that.

So I don't buy this "safe profile" stuff on a "rest assured" basis.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 17:31   #9
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
My speed does indeed drop to 34 Mbps or even lower now that Cab 22 has woken up, but I can't trust speedtest.net when measuring that.
Dammit
Old 13-02-2012, 11:45   #10
Arthur Hucksake
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
Nah - that's not right. Speedtest.net is as variable as the internet. I get 22ms ping on London TranceFM and 51 ms on London Namesco.

So I don't buy this "safe profile" stuff on a "rest assured" basis.
Not just speedtest.net , used BT's own speedtester and profile checker. It showed it on there plain as day and was eventually confirmed by the guys in NI after getting the usual fob offs from India.

http://speedtester.bt.com/

After the profile reset, my pings dropped and line speed went up. It was basically instantaneous when they resolved it. The line dropped out, retrained and boom.... full speed again.

Wasn't something that could be fixed by just rebooting the modem.
Old 13-02-2012, 14:39   #11
SkyFTW
Permanently Banned

Services: Sky+HD ,Sky Multiroom, Sky unlimited BB, Anytime+
SkyFTW can only hope to improve

The only true unmanaged unshaped network available to home users at a realistic price is Skys LLU product, Sky unlimited.
SkyFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2012, 20:28   #12
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Wrong.

Be is also unmanaged and unshaped and I wouldn't call £17 a month an unrealistic price.

Plus as above, BT's is as far as I'm concerned unshaped and unmanaged as the only thing that's shaped is P2P which I don't use.
Old 13-02-2012, 20:34   #13
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Qasi

I've been trying this site for speed tests and am quite content. True the dial doesn't go pas 20 meg, but the numbers in the box are corrrect time and again at all hours.

Cheers

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2012, 22:55   #14
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Thanks Seph. I'll be giving it a go once I get installed (Thursday hopefully) - though as it stands I still have my own 100mb and 1000mb servers in various locations I can test off once in a while.
Old 14-02-2012, 12:19   #15
AbyssUnderground
cf.mega poster

Services: BT Infinity Option 2, HH5, synced at maximum 80Mbps/20Mbps.
AbyssUnderground has reached the bronze age
AbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to AbyssUnderground

Quote:
Wrong.

Be is also unmanaged and unshaped and I wouldn't call £17 a month an unrealistic price.

Plus as above, BT's is as far as I'm concerned unshaped and unmanaged as the only thing that's shaped is P2P which I don't use.
I'm with Be and fully agree.

It's good to know on the BT side as when/if infinity finally comes to my area (scheduled for March this year) I'm thinking of switching.
AbyssUnderground is offline   Reply With Quote