Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Raspberry Pi - a revolution?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion

Raspberry Pi - a revolution?

Old 26-02-2012, 17:21   #46
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
Re: Raspberry Pi - a revolution?

I am not a very practical person - I can see me making one out of lego and just using some glue to hold it all together

I aim to make a very portable accessible pc to take about with me so any prospective employer can't bitch about how much hardware will cost for me to be able to to any IT work

Well - this is the case sorted
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lego-case-5-miriamelewis.jpg (216.6 KB, 38 views)
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 26-02-2012, 17:51   #47
LSainsbury

Services: TV: Sky HD, Landline: BT, Mobile: Orange, Internet: Quite Slow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilligaf1701 View Post
I am not a very practical person - I can see me making one out of lego and just using some glue to hold it all together

I aim to make a very portable accessible pc to take about with me so any prospective employer can't bitch about how much hardware will cost for me to be able to to any IT work

Well - this is the case sorted
That looks like a.....errrmmm.....errrr.....what's it called again??? Oha yeah - it's an X-Wing from Star Wars isn't it!!
Old 26-02-2012, 19:19   #48
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Well, I was going to buy a new NAS as the one I have doesn't have enough space.. I am now thinking I might actually buy one of these and build my own nas. Plug in a USB drive. Could be a lot more interesting than buying a NAS.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2012, 20:29   #49
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSainsbury View Post
Still no availability date yet though. Have you seen the case that they guy made? Awesome!!
Looks good.

---------- Post added at 19:29 ---------- Previous post was at 19:28 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
Well, I was going to buy a new NAS as the one I have doesn't have enough space.. I am now thinking I might actually buy one of these and build my own nas. Plug in a USB drive. Could be a lot more interesting than buying a NAS.
Someone covered that in the Pi forum

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/
Sirius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2012, 20:31   #50
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
I just got a noontec N5 which does a simplified DLNA/Samba/WebDav/BT Nas last month so a bit late for me to do that with it (was only £40 with no drive).. I'm looking at doing Dual HD webcam recorder for mobile applications on a race vehicle so a raspberry Pi B board is ideal
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2012, 22:17   #51
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
I just got a noontec N5 which does a simplified DLNA/Samba/WebDav/BT Nas last month so a bit late for me to do that with it (was only £40 with no drive).. I'm looking at doing Dual HD webcam recorder for mobile applications on a race vehicle so a raspberry Pi B board is ideal
It would.. Large enough SD card should give decent recording length as well.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2012, 21:16   #52
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

Close now I suspect

The Raspberry Pi Foundation will be making a big (and very positive) announcement that*just might interest you*at 0600h GMT on Wednesday 29 February 2012. Come to www.raspberrypi.org to find out what’s going on.
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2012, 21:32   #53
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilligaf1701 View Post
Close now I suspect

The Raspberry Pi Foundation will be making a big (and very positive) announcement that*just might interest you*at 0600h GMT on Wednesday 29 February 2012. Come to www.raspberrypi.org to find out what’s going on.

Here we go

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/
Sirius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2012, 07:15   #54
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Why are we waiting!!! Why oh are we waiting... (oh it's not 6am yet )

---------- Post added at 05:59 ---------- Previous post was at 05:58 ----------

I presume that everyone was intelligent enough to pre-register on the store site in the last few days??

---------- Post added at 06:00 ---------- Previous post was at 05:59 ----------

Hmm, they're not using their own store

https://uk.rs-online.com/

http://uk.farnell.com/

---------- Post added at 06:10 ---------- Previous post was at 06:00 ----------

RS site is running like a pig.. At least I have a company account there so get free deivery, it's supposed to be next day but the raspberry site says:

Quote:
Although we are still waiting for units to arrive from China, you can start buying the Raspberry Pi today. We have entered into licensed manufacture partnerships with two British companies, Premier Farnell and RS Components.

---------- Post added at 06:11 ---------- Previous post was at 06:10 ----------

Here's the direct link on RS to register for interest.. No idea if they'll be taking orders today

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/generalD...id=raspberrypi

---------- Post added at 06:15 ---------- Previous post was at 06:11 ----------

Latest news is that the A version will now also include 256Mb ram.. That's good as 128 was a bit useless..
Old 29-02-2012, 07:25   #55
LSainsbury

And both Farnell and RS are now down...
Old 29-02-2012, 07:25   #56
Kymmy
Inactive

Confirmed on twitter, that they should be on sale today.. currently though Farnell's site can't cope and RS is pointing to a register interest page
Old 29-02-2012, 07:27   #57
LSainsbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post

I presume that everyone was intelligent enough to pre-register on the store site in the last few days??
I didn't think they'd use their own store / infrastructure....they would'nt cope with the traffic....nor can the suppliers by the looks of it!
Old 29-02-2012, 07:29   #58
Kymmy
Inactive

RS has now collapsed for me as everyone wakes up
Old 29-02-2012, 07:29   #59
LSainsbury

Give it chance - this happens with concert tickets all the time...I guess staff at Farnell and RS are changing the pages as we speak...
Old 29-02-2012, 07:35   #60
Kymmy
Inactive

Quote:
I didn't think they'd use their own store / infrastructure....they would'nt cope with the traffic....nor can the suppliers by the looks of it!
It was always a possibility though

---------- Post added at 06:30 ---------- Previous post was at 06:29 ----------

Quote:
Give it chance - this happens with concert tickets all the time...I guess staff at Farnell and RS are changing the pages as we speak...
Or putting out the server fires... I can hear the Halon alarms from here

---------- Post added at 06:31 ---------- Previous post was at 06:30 ----------

Quote:
Raspberry Pi ‏ @Raspberry_Pi
We believe Farnell has sold out already. Blimey.

---------- Post added at 06:35 ---------- Previous post was at 06:31 ----------

Good bit of video here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-17190334