Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Any help please on dead phone?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Fixed Phone Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Recording a Phone Call

Old 27-09-2011, 21:06   #1
TomCov
Inactive

TomCov is an unknown quantity at this point
Recording a Phone Call

Hi,
I would like to record a phone call via my VM landline. Any ideas how to go about it?

Thank you
TomCov is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-09-2011, 07:59   #2
Angua
10 yrs same company 😁

Services: ? BB, basic phone. Share of Disney+
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Recording a Phone Call

If you have an answer-phone this should be possible. You should check the manual.
Angua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2011, 09:05   #3
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Services: LL Phone, TiVo, M+ VM mobile, BBand 150M tier Superhub, TIVO 500 M+
Ken W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCov View Post
Hi,
I would like to record a phone call via my VM landline. Any ideas how to go about it?

Thank you
I think you must advise the other party that you will be recording the call.
Ken W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2011, 20:25   #4
Theodoric
Inactive

Theodoric has reached the bronze age
Theodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken W View Post
I think you must advise the other party that you will be recording the call.
Yes, there's a useful summary of the law here.

I'm always suspicious of the reason given by help lines: "Your call may be recorded and used for training purposes." Not a hint that it might be used as evidence when you are taken to court for becoming over-emotional in your complaint.
Theodoric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2011, 00:25   #5
Matth
Inactive

Services: BB:M, TV:XL, Phone:M, Loyalty
Matth has reached the bronze age
Matth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze age

The good old way was with a telephone recording coil, on old phones, there were places on the phone body that it would pick up from, but for moree modern phones, it would only work in front of the earpiece.

A computer voice modem (remember them?) might also enable recording to the PC.
Matth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 02:17   #6
savvychels
cf.geek

Services: VIP120 w/ TiVo x2
savvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpack

If you don't have an answering machine that will do it put your phone on speaker and just use some kind of tape or digital recorder
Old 02-10-2011, 18:16   #7
XxAmazingStarxX
Permanently Banned

XxAmazingStarxX is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't, I think it's against the law...
XxAmazingStarxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 18:33   #8
Lord Nikon
Inactive

Lord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze array
Lord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze array

Actually there's nothing saying you can't record a phone call, you only have to notify the other party if you intend to use it for anything other than personal reference. If you were to try to use it's content in court or for other people to hear then yes, you have to tell them, but if you only intend to use it for the purpose of reviewing it later to remind yourself what was said then there's no legal limitation.

From Ofcom
Quote:
Can I record telephone conversations on my home phone?

Yes. The relevant law, RIPA, does not prohibit individuals from recording their own communications provided that the recording is for their own use. Recording or monitoring are only prohibited where some of the contents of the communication - which can be a phone conversation or an e-mail - are made available to a third party, ie someone who was neither the caller or sender nor the intended recipient of the original communication. For further information see the Home Office website where RIPA is posted.

Do I have to let people know that I intend to record their telephone conversations with me?

No, provided you are not intending to make the contents of the communication available to a third party. If you are you will need the consent of the person you are recording.
They also provide a link to the home office site regarding RIPA.

As to how to go about it - digital recorder or some other recorder hooked up to the phone via something like
http://www.maplin.co.uk/2-way-teleph...recorder-24724
or
http://www.maplin.co.uk/play-and-rec...-adaptor-30352
Lord Nikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 11:02   #9
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

It never fails to amaze me in threads like this where people spend more time discussing the law than helping to answer the question.

If recording a call was potentially as serious as murder etc then yes I'd understand people stumbling over themselves to point out the law - but it isn't. When was the last time you heard of anyone being prosecuted for recording a call without informing the other party?

People need to put this in to perspective, seriously. Not saying people should break the law but there's enough advice online for the OP to already know the law.

OP: have a look at http://www.maplin.co.uk/cables/telep...ording-devices

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 13:38   #10
Lord Nikon
Inactive

Lord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze array
Lord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze array

Since the 4 posts prior to mine were discussing the law I thought I would provide the relevant link, I also provided suggestions of recording equipment.
Lord Nikon is offline   Reply With Quote