Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Probably the ugliest equipment and install I have ever seen

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Installation Issues

Probably the ugliest equipment and install I have ever seen

Old 12-04-2011, 20:36   #16
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Probably the ugliest equipment and install I have ever seen

So far as I can see, the colours are exactly what everyone gets, so no basis for a complaint there. Also, the install as completed seems to me to be reasonably tidy and typical.

However, I can see that if you did indeed ask for the box to be on the other side of the window and for the cable to be run round the frame, the finished effect would have been very much different (and I think very much better) than what they have left you with. The fact they have done something a lot different might be worth pursuing.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-04-2011, 20:45   #17
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

i would agree that the run of cable to the left of the window could be neater and if they haven't put the box where you wanted it then yes get them out to change it but the colour wouldn't be an issue for me ,if it was ,then just paint it the next time you paint your render

By the way you need to shift that aerial cable going through your window cos it will rot it unless it has been cut off outside of course
Old 12-04-2011, 21:05   #18
sollp
cf.mega poster

Services: Virginmobile,Sky TV, ZEN 76Mb,ZEN Phone line.
sollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordyGFC View Post
ive got a brown box (matchs my windows) with a white cable i had to ask them for white but...
Can I be really crude with this one?
Old 12-04-2011, 21:16   #19
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Looks like a normal install to me
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 21:21   #20
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
So far as I can see, the colours are exactly what everyone gets, so no basis for a complaint there. Also, the install as completed seems to me to be reasonably tidy and typical.

However, I can see that if you did indeed ask for the box to be on the other side of the window and for the cable to be run round the frame, the finished effect would have been very much different (and I think very much better) than what they have left you with. The fact they have done something a lot different might be worth pursuing.
Agreed. The box could have been installed nearer the right hand side of the window, which would have enabled the cable to go around the Window Frame (which would have done a good job of hiding it).
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 21:25   #21
Jason1975
Inactive

Jason1975 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
Looks like a normal install to me
Like I said ... different standards.

The colour would not have been an issue at all if it had been installed next to the ivy on the right.

Anyway, will get the engineers out to sort it out.

The TV does look better than Sky and the internet is alot faster.

Customer services are not great though, as it can apparently take 5 days for the 'installation customer services' to get back to us.

Will post a pic of the new improved install
Jason1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 21:25   #22
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

But then the installer would have to do all that work in a thorny bush

Easier to paint it the color of your wall.

Next time hopefully your there to oversee the install
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 21:25   #23
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

I guess it would have been a little more fiddly to do though, which is probably why they didn't. Not acceptable if they agreed that they would.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 21:29   #24
Jason1975
Inactive

Jason1975 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
But then the installer would have to do all that work in a thorny bush

Easier to paint it the color of your wall.
lol no thorns, only lovely soft leaves! Much easier just to do the install with the box on the right than missioning to B+Q to find the same colour, spend the cash on it, then the time to paint it.

doubt you are going to convince me otherwise jb66
Jason1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 23:29   #25
redone
Inactive

redone is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason1975 View Post
Some good points, some not so good.

Never the less here is the picture

[img]Download Failed (1)[/img]

Ive seen worse tbh but have had over 10yrs installing
redone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 23:36   #26
Nedkelly
Inactive

Services: V6 & Tivo SH3 on 300mb and 200mb and a telephone
Nedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appeal
Nedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appeal
Talking Re: Probably the ugliest equipment and install I have ever seen

Box on other side near bush cable hidden in tiles across front then drop down to box .Where does the RG6 from the garden go into the box ?
Nedkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2011, 00:05   #27
Jimmy-J
as common as muck

Jimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze array
Jimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze array

Is that supposed to be a professional install? I could have done a better job blind folded! Looks like he was in a rush to finish. I'd get them back out to re-route it, that's pathetic.

Jimmy-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2011, 00:08   #28
haydnwalker
Inactive

Services: TV:Sky+, BB:DRL VDSL2 40/10 with Ask4, Phone:Mobile Only
haydnwalker has reached the bronze age
haydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masque View Post
I forgot to add that the OMNI boxes are also all brown.
Mine must be an old one then... because its grey (with a dirty black mark on because of my old cars exhaust )
haydnwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2011, 09:02   #29
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnwalker View Post
Mine must be an old one then... because its grey (with a dirty black mark on because of my old cars exhaust )
Virtually everyone I have seen is brown and many discolour in the sun of course yours may be different because of the original franchise.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2011, 09:07   #30
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

Both my parents and I have brown external boxes; my install was 2007 while theirs was last year. (Ex-NTL area.) Oh yes, and white internal cabling.
carlwaring is offline   Reply With Quote