Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Old Virgin.net account

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service > Webspace, E-Mail & Browsing Issues

Outgoing mail server problems with iPhone

Old 04-09-2009, 12:09   #1
lauraduncan
Inactive

lauraduncan is an unknown quantity at this point
Outgoing mail server problems with iPhone

New to Virgin. Can receive but not send email on my new iPhone (tho same problem on previous Blackberry). Says 'cannot access outgoing mail server'. Have checked account settings on Outlook which work fine on my laptop. Help! Virgin help only trained to deal with Outlook Express.
lauraduncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-09-2009, 12:12   #2
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Re: Outgoing mail server problems with iPhone

Virgin will only allow you to send emails from an IP address that is part of their network.

So.....

If your iPhone is connected to your wireless access point at home and your wireless access point at home is on a Virgin Media Internet connection then it should be able to both send and receive from your Virgin account. If you're using the 3G, Edge, or GSM connectivity you won't have a Virgin IP and therefore won't be able to send, but will be able to receive. If you're connected to a different wireless access point then you may be able to send and receive if that access point is connected to a Virgin Media connection, if it isn't then you will be able to receive only.

---------- Post added at 11:12 ---------- Previous post was at 11:11 ----------

to the forum by the way
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 12:12   #3
Sir John Luke
Inactive

Sir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful one

You can only SEND email via VM from a VM connection, but you can READ email via VM from any connection.

...or more comprehensively ^^^^^
Sir John Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 12:14   #4
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

What you need to do is identify which connection you are using (for example o2) and then use thier SMTP server (for example smtp.o2.co.uk). You'll still be able to put your VM address as the sender as most ISP's will allow you to relay OK
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 12:48   #5
lauraduncan
Inactive

ok - so I have O2 on the iPhone with wireless turned off. I have 2 email accounts - one virginmedia and one hosted by easily.com. Neither can send emails.
As I have the newest iPhone, I guess it is 3G.
What exactly should i do?
Old 04-09-2009, 12:51   #6
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Does your iPhone contract with O2 come with any email accounts? If it does, then you should have access to the email servers that are used to send email out from the O2 network. You should be able to set up your iPhone to send using O2's systems while at the same time having your emails appear to be coming from your Virgin account, so that when people reply to you it goes into your Virgin inbox.

There are a number of iPhone users on this forum, wait for one of them to reply as I'm sure they will be able to give you specific instructions about how to set it up.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 13:32   #7
lauraduncan
Inactive

tx Chris. I wonder if it is a virginmedia problem as i had the same issue with my old Blackberry.
Old 04-09-2009, 13:35   #8
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

It's not a problem Laura, it's the way Virgin's email system is designed to work. They won't let you use their email servers to send mail unless you connect to them from a computer that's actually connected to their network. It's supposed to limit the chances of someone using their systems to send out masses of spam.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 15:12   #9
bopdude
Inactive

bopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny stars
bopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to bopdude

Yep, as has been said,you can't send from a VM account from an iphone, what you can do is open a gmail account ( free ) forward your VM mail to your gmail account which will wing it's way to your iphone once the settings are made ( google it, very easy to do ) and then, using gmail on the iphone you canreply to emails to anyone.

HTH's
bopdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 18:13   #10
lauraduncan
Inactive

ok i get it. i already have a googlemail account which i was using for online stuff (to avoid spam - hah!). I guess i could re-direct both accounts to that. Would that work?
Old 04-09-2009, 19:57   #11
bopdude
Inactive

bopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny stars
bopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraduncan View Post
ok i get it. i already have a googlemail account which i was using for online stuff (to avoid spam - hah!). I guess i could re-direct both accounts to that. Would that work?
If you don't want to check your gmail account then just set the VM one to forward onto your iphone, check the gmail from the pc....................... if that's how you want it. ?
Old 05-09-2009, 18:51   #12
lauraduncan
Inactive

er - how do i do that? am struggling with finding how to forward in Outlook. Everything seems designed for Outlook Express.
Old 05-09-2009, 19:08   #13
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

You don't do it at your end, VM will forward the email for you at theirs
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 00:15   #14
bopdude
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraduncan View Post
er - how do i do that? am struggling with finding how to forward in Outlook. Everything seems designed for Outlook Express.

Here's a link, I use OE personally so have not used this method, try it and let us know how you get on
Old 06-09-2009, 12:09   #15
lauraduncan
Inactive

tx - looks a useful link. still confused tho. what i want is what i used to have:
1. my personal and work emails sync'd with my mobile phone
2. my other gmail account (which i use for online purchases etc to avoid spam) to remain on my laptop
3. to continue to use Outlook not OE.
4. to do all this using virgin media as isp

am beginning to wish i had stayed with my old isp. at least everything worked