Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Mystery Reboot Problem

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion

Laptop Wireless Issues

Old 25-12-2006, 17:34   #1
Barewolf
Inactive

Services: Talk Talk 1.5mb wishing it was Virgin 20mb
Barewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful one
Send a message via MSN to Barewolf
Laptop Wireless Issues

Hi and Merry Xmas Everyone.

Got the Laptop today, I set up the Wireless Router to my Cable Modem and Desktop PC Upstairs.

Seemed to work ok, I have 3 lights on the front, WLAN, Internet and Port 1 i think it is out of 4 ports. The Internet and Port 1 lights flicker slightly every now and then.

The Router is a LinkSys.

I set up the laptop and eventually managed to get a signal and worked fine for ages. I had set it up on Channel 1 2.412Ghz.

Soon as i Turned the laptop off and then back on an hour later it had no signal, no internet etc.

I had to try another channel so i tried channel 3 and that seemed to work ok, however the Laptop Wireless light was flickering on and off alot but i didnt see any problems.

I dont know what to do, i mean do i have to keep changing channels all the time on the desktop pc? I want to be able to turn the lappy on and have a signal as i would my desktop pc but it seems i cant do this.

This is the first time i have ever used wireless, can some one help me out and give me some advice please?

---------- Post added at 16:34 ---------- Previous post was at 16:32 ----------

Also theres things about Wireless network modes, dont know what they are. Wireless G etc etc
Barewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 25-12-2006, 18:08   #2
nffc
cf.mega poster

Services: Freeview, Sky+, 100 Mb/s VM BB, mega i7 PC, iPhone 13, Macbook Air
nffc has a nice shiny star
nffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny star
Re: Laptop Wireless Issues

There's not a wireless switch on the lappy is there? What lappy is it?

nffc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2006, 18:09   #3
Barewolf
Inactive

Barewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful one

Its an Advent 711 something, theres a button on the lappy that you can press to enable or disable wireless but thats about all.
Old 25-12-2006, 18:20   #4
nffc
cf.mega poster

nffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny star

Woo, Advent wireless issues... D'oh.

This has been suggested, dunno if it works though.

http://www.w00tw00t.co.uk/support/viewtopic.php?t=745
Quote:
Apparantly it boils back to update sp2. for which the full fix can be found here :-
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/871122

first i would suggest resetting the router by pushing something in the hole while switch on for 10 secs, this will reset the router from any locks you may have put on the router before.

1. Click Start, click Run, type ncpa.cpl, and then click OK.
2. Click Network Connections.
3. In Network Connections, click to select your wireless connection, and then click Change settings of this connection.
4. On the Wireless Networks tab, click to select the Use Windows to configure my wireless network settings check box

now press start and click on run , type in
services.msc /s and press enter .
scroll down to Wireless Zero Configuration.

set the start up type to automatic and start the device , then click apply and reboot laptop.Once the laptop as rebooted ok and settled down ,select network connections and right click on the wireless connection and selet repair , windows should now repair this and should open wireless .
The wireless network should work now .
try even pressing the shortcuts keys as ....Fn+F2 or what ever the shortkeys are.
Normally repairing the connection, then rebooting with wireless turned on seems to work.

(If you have a look on the base plate of the laptop, there will be the Advent model number (7111?), and another one - post both. The latter may be on the diddy barcode sticker with the long serial number on. It's revealing who really makes the laptop, pretty much all OEM laptops (Advent, HP, Fujitsu, Dell) are made by the same handful of companies.)

Old 25-12-2006, 18:53   #5
Barewolf
Inactive

Its an Advent 7111 Yes. The other number is...

Model Number EAA-89

Other Numbers are...

WM3945AB9

Does that help?

---------- Post added at 17:53 ---------- Previous post was at 17:43 ----------

Well i followed that fix to the latter, everything suggested in there is already enabled and correct.

I dont understand??
Old 25-12-2006, 19:06   #6
nffc
cf.mega poster

What I've often found is that they don't connect without a restart. So if you're using it, then switch wireless on, you need to reboot the laptop before it connects.

Normally WZC is on anyway, I'm not really convinced by that fix, tbh.

EAA-89 is the "real" model. Seems to be made by Quanta...

Old 25-12-2006, 19:15   #7
Barewolf
Inactive

i have rebooted it. when i turn it off i shutdown completely and boot up fresh, and then i dont get a signal.

When i have a connection it stays fine, only when i turn it off and boot up.
Old 25-12-2006, 19:22   #8
nffc
cf.mega poster

Is the wireless light still staying on?

Old 25-12-2006, 19:27   #9
Barewolf
Inactive

the wireless light is on yeah, sometimes it flashes but i havent lost the connection.
Old 25-12-2006, 19:31   #10
nffc
cf.mega poster

The wireless light is on, and Network Connections says what?

Old 25-12-2006, 19:34   #11
Barewolf
Inactive

says strength is excellent and connected. Im on the laptop now. If i shutdown now and re booted i wouldnt have a connection and i would have to goto the desktop PC and change the channel until Laptop picks it up.
Old 25-12-2006, 20:02   #12
nffc
cf.mega poster

How weird. And when you do this, the light for wireless is still on, and the laptop doesn't pick up the network until you change the channel?

I'd say something was up with the card, tbh.

Can you try it on a different router, see if you get the same?

Old 25-12-2006, 20:05   #13
Barewolf
Inactive

Dont have a diff router. But i turned off the laptop and put it back on and the wireless light came on.

At the moment i am on Channel 13. I am hoping it will stay as it is now, only tomorrow i will know for sure.