Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots [PS3]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Gaming Discussion > Sony Games Systems

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots [PS3]

Old 18-06-2008, 00:26   #16
icestar2
Inactive

Services: Phone, HDTV, 30MB BB, Tivo
icestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appeal
icestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appeal
Re: MGS 4 Avalible Thursday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoimia View Post
I completed it today. I won't give away any details, but it's a stunning game from start to finish. The online game is pretty much irrelevant - it's worth buying purely for the single-player game.

Some great humour, and some really nice touches relating to the rest of the series... which you'll probably only 'get' if you've played the previous games.
Finished it sunday night. Loved every minute of it. This game has set a very high bar in terms of Cinematic storey telling in a game. Always loved how MGS did this but 4 has taken it to a whole new level.

This game was probably my biggest reason for buying a PS3 and am so glad I did. After seeing what can be done I am looking forward to the next installment of Final Fantasy.

If there's any such award like Cinematic production in a game then MGS4 deserves it.

EDIT: Havent touched the online myself either. Not really intrested in it anyway. The game itself was by far good enough reason to buy.
icestar2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-06-2008, 12:40   #17
Tod
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media - Tivo, TV XL, Broadband XL, Phone XL, Mobile
Tod is a name known to allTod is a name known to allTod is a name known to allTod is a name known to allTod is a name known to allTod is a name known to allTod is a name known to allTod is a name known to all

MGS4 has put PS3 hardware sales above even the Wii. It's the one people have been waiting for I guess.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2008, 21:06   #18
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

MGS4 Database & other DLC!

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008/...se-on-the-way/

Finally, a worthwhile update to the store.
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2008, 00:14   #19
icestar2
Inactive

icestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appeal

MGS4 Outsells every other Game in japan 2:1

Quote:
No surprise here -- the behemoth that is Metal Gear Solid 4 has obliterated the competition in the Japanese charts. It managed to sell over 12 times the amount of the runner-up, Mario Kart Wii. But wait, there's more! MGS4 alone outsold every other game on the chart combined by more than 2 to 1. An impressive feat, no doubt. Last week's winner, Dragon Ball Z: Burst Limit on the PS3, dropped down to 7th place with 18,000 copies sold. With two (!) PS3 games in the top 10 and two PSP games as well, Sony must be rather pleased by their sales in Japan.

1. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (PS3) - 465,000
2. Mario Kart Wii (Wii) - 38,000
3. Wii Fit (Wii) - 37,000
4. Powerful Pro Portable Baseball 3 (PSP) - 27,000
5. Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G (PSP) - 26,000
6. Hisshou Pachinko Kouryaku (DS) - 22,000
7. Dragon Ball Z Burst Limit (PS3) - 18,000
8. DS Calligraphy Training (DS) - 17,000
9. DS Misa Yamamura Suspense (DS) - 17,000
10. Furai No Syren 3 (Wii) - 14,000
Now i know its japan and also it didnt really have any majour competition but still impressive none the less.
Old 20-06-2008, 15:36   #20
Paranoimia
Inactive

Paranoimia is just really niceParanoimia is just really niceParanoimia is just really niceParanoimia is just really niceParanoimia is just really niceParanoimia is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
MGS4 Database & other DLC!

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008/...se-on-the-way/

Finally, a worthwhile update to the store.
Since the game had a global release date, you'd think this would too. It's the first item that has ever had me annoyed at the Euro store delays.
Paranoimia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2008, 16:53   #21
Tod
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media - Tivo, TV XL, Broadband XL, Phone XL, Mobile
Tod is a name known to allTod is a name known to allTod is a name known to allTod is a name known to allTod is a name known to allTod is a name known to allTod is a name known to allTod is a name known to all

European Games Sales (plus non US/Jap regions)

1 Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns Of The Patriots PS3 429,318
2 Wii Sports 136,758
3 Mario Kart Wii 68,458
4 Wii Fit Nintendo 66,579
5 Wii Play Nintendo 64,650
6 Brain Training DS 59,896
7 Lego Indiana Jones: The Original Adventures DS 56,415
8 Lego Indiana Jones: The Original Adventures PS2 55,712
9 Grand Theft Auto IV PS3 51,012
10 Lego Indiana Jones: The Original Adventures Wii 46,028
11 Grand Theft Auto IV X360 43,628

Hardware Sales

*****Japan****America****EU&Others**Total
DS***39,305***187,553****230,508***457,366
PS3***81,323***122,449***116,642***320,414
Wii***46,378***112,403***138,210***296,991
PSP***63,996***76,097***65,156***205,249
X360**2,288***60,580***67,615***130,483
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2008, 00:10   #22
icestar2
Inactive

Was happy to read today that MGS 4 may not be the end of the MGS series just the End of Snakes storey.

Quote:
According to a preview of an interview with 1UP, assistant producer Ryan Payton said in regards to the possibility of Metal Gear Solid 5: "there are some misunderstandings that this is the final Metal Gear game. But it's really the final chapter of the Solid Snake story." He further states that if Snake's story continues past MGS4, "we'll get to the point where the game has absolutely no basis in reality." Payton also hinted at who might be the future star of the next MGS game: there is "still a lot of room for filling in the gaps as far as Big Boss is concerned." IGN's Philip Kollar interprets all of this as Konami having nowhere to go with the series except for prequels to "continue fleshing out that same epic narrative."
Old 22-06-2008, 13:31   #23
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoimia View Post
Since the game had a global release date, you'd think this would too. It's the first item that has ever had me annoyed at the Euro store delays.
Yep

Bloody SCEEE

http://kotaku.com/5018164/sorry-euro...tabase-for-you

You can download it from the US or Japan PSN Stores if you have an account, but it won't recognise your save, so you can't look at the MGS4 info.

Also, I don't think Sony can use the usual stupid translation excuse this time... the US version of the MGS4 DB (which is, of course, in English) also has language options for Japanese, Spanish, French, German, and Italian.

So I'm wondering just what the hell their pathetic excuse is this time...
Old 22-06-2008, 16:01   #24
Paranoimia
Inactive

Paranoimia is just really niceParanoimia is just really niceParanoimia is just really niceParanoimia is just really niceParanoimia is just really niceParanoimia is just really nice

That's interesting, Matt. So I guess there really is no excuse this time, other than laziness.

A lot of people seem to think that SCEE "don't care" about the customers. I've always been very reluctant to believe that - after all, Europe has always been a major supporter of Sony's hardware. But things like this do make you wonder.

Maybe it's precisely because we've always been big supporters that we suffer? They're obviously going to keep their home market happy, and since they still have some catching up to do in the US, they get everything first, their own blog etc. Maybe SCEE aren't trying so hard here because they feel they don't have to?
Paranoimia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2008, 21:37   #25
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

I think they certainly do give the impression that they don't care about Europe

Maybe you're right, & it's due to complacency, as the PS3 is doing very well here anyway, whereas the 360 is stronger in the US [plus obviously Japan is the home market so they won't neglect there].

Or maybe SCEE are just muppets...

In any case...

Europe finally gets the MGS4 database this coming Thursday

http://kotaku.com/5018727/

I downloaded the US one yesterday evening - definitely has language options for English, Japanese, Spanish, French, German, and Italian as I mentioned earlier (hadn't tried it then - just posted what I'd read).

Doesn't recognise my save, but that doesn't matter, as -

a) I haven't finished yet anyway

b) The Euro one is out this week
Old 24-06-2008, 00:28   #26
icestar2
Inactive

I cant exactly remember what i read or were but I will try find it again but am sure it said something along the lines of the PSN is not actually run by Sony. Maybe thats the problem.
Old 24-06-2008, 00:36   #27
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

I think it is still Sony overall (plus of course SCEA & SCEJ never display the same utter lameness that SCEE does), but AFAIK the developers do have more freedom with some things (Sony isn't a big control freak like MS seem to be).

Which is good in some ways, bad in others.

Although I think overall, I'd probably prefer them to be control freaks like MS seem to be.
Old 24-06-2008, 00:47   #28
icestar2
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
I think it is still Sony overall (plus of course SCEA & SCEJ never display the same utter lameness that SCEE does), but AFAIK the developers do have more freedom with some things (Sony isn't a big control freak like MS seem to be).

Which is good in some ways, bad in others.

Although I think overall, I'd probably prefer them to be control freaks like MS seem to be.
Yeah far point. In no way am I trying to defend sony as we all know to well how they have treated Europe in the past(Damn why do I still like them so much lol). Was just pointing out what I read and woundering if this could be adding to the problem here.
Old 24-06-2008, 12:58   #29
STONEISLAND
Inactive

Services: V + HD V Telephone V Cable 20MB
STONEISLAND has reached the bronze age
STONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze age

Well I’m sure I’m near to completion and have to say proberbly the best game I have ever played.
I was on the edge of my seat all the way. Even the cut scenes had me locked to the screen.

Fantastic and cannot wait to re-do it.
STONEISLAND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2008, 12:51   #30
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Is it true the cut scenes can get up to 90 mins in one case?
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote