Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The Pirate Bay is blocked

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

The Pirate Bay is blocked

Old 03-05-2012, 00:31   #46
REM
Inactive

Services: TV Full House V6 200Mb/s + Telephone
REM is just really niceREM is just really niceREM is just really niceREM is just really niceREM is just really niceREM is just really nice
re: The Pirate Bay is blocked (Discuss but do not post detail of how to get round it)

Quote:
Originally Posted by webrosc View Post
Don't the courts realise that TPB is used for other things than pirating?
10" long knives are used for things other than violence but I am not allowed to carry one in the street.
REM is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 03-05-2012, 03:04   #47
RB2004
Inactive

Services: Services: 200 Mbit Gamer on Hub 3, 3x Arris V6 Boxes, CISCO V HD, VIP Package
RB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation era
I read an article
Earlier the creators of tpb are laughing in the face of the descision.. Apparently the free publicity.. Which they quote cannot be brought on the scale of the publicity they have been given.. I.e newspapers like the times.. News reports on the tv etc..has led to
A curiosity and also informed people who wasn't aware of the sites existence leading to an increase of 12 million visits apparently!

---------- Post added at 03:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:02 AM ----------

[Admin Edit:: Third party Torrent site link removed]
RB2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 05:07   #48
Inactive

Services: 100Mbit Broadband
7031 is on a distinguished road7031 is on a distinguished road
re: The Pirate Bay is blocked (Discuss but do not post detail of how to get round it)

I'm not quite sure why this is even necessary - The Pirate Bay in and of itself is not a site which should be illegal imo. What scares me is I feel a block like this opens the door for businesses to get other sites blocked in the UK and elsewhere. That said, I'm sure anyone who must access these sites will find a way to fairly easily.

This seemed relevant:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZUSn7I-zNo
7031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 05:13   #49
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Warning!

Posts have been removed from this thread... Read below:-

Ok going to take the moral high ground which some people will not like, but at the end of the day, as I am one of the owners of this website and regardless of how emotive we feel about this kind of blocking or mass censorship by an ISP such as Virgin Media, we cannot allow links to such torrent sites or post links to get around the block, as it provides access to copyrighted content and this is a breach of our own terms of use and it must not continue.

For clarification, the specific term is as follows:-

Your use of CF shall be in accordance with these conditions, which are non-negotiable.

You agree that you will not:

"Post", transmit, upload, email or "otherwise make available" any content that in doing so infringes upon a trademark, patent, copyright, trade secret or other proprietary rights of any party.

I therefore immediately request that no further links in connection with any torrent site be posted on this forum. Nor will anyone post any link on this forum, to get around the block.

We do not allow any discussion of any kind which borders on illegal and or any "unlawful" activity, this is a standard we have always met since day one and I am not allowing such standards to slip, we do not allow any kind of discussion on hacking a cable modem/TV Set top box for instance, so we cannot allow direct links to "unlawful" torrent content however much you disagree with such political rulings and or court orders.

Thank you for your understanding and co-operation.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 05:40   #50
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

well I can only hope that people get together and challenge this in the European Court of human rights as fast as all those terrorists run to them for their ruling's to be over turned.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:44   #51
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon_30 View Post
This block is actually very easy to bypass , don't know why they bothered , even if people can't access it , there are so many similar sites , blocking the pirate bay is a complete waste of time
Indeed it is easy. I don't use torrents but i will defend my right to visit any site i wish to and that includes any the Government see fit to ban.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:17   #52
Sherlock Holmes
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media 60MB XL Broadband, XL TV with TiVo, XL phone.
Sherlock Holmes is on a distinguished roadSherlock Holmes is on a distinguished road

Works fine using Opera desktop browser with Turbo mode on.

Opera Mini is also good for getting round the 'Three' networks adult content filter on your mobile too

Cheers
Sherlock Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:26   #53
kwikbreaks
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FTTC, FoxSat HDR for TV, Vonage VOIP.
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze age
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
I recall at one point someone pulled out the figure that 70% of content on TPB wasn't copyright-infringing.
I wonder which orifice they pulled it from
kwikbreaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:31   #54
Perfect Choice
cf.geek

Services: Maxit TV, M phone, 200MB BB, V6 TIVO, Super Hub3
Perfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to behold

Agree with the ban, if 70% of content on TPB wasn't copyright-infringing then fine, TPB just need to stop the 30% that was and thier site will not be banned.
Perfect Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:32   #55
kwikbreaks
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FTTC, FoxSat HDR for TV, Vonage VOIP.
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze age
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
Indeed it is easy. I don't use torrents but i will defend my right to visit any site i wish to and that includes any the Government see fit to ban.
The IWF filter has been blocking sites for some years now on just about all ISPs. I don't doubt that a simple offshore proxy would bypass that too but I wouldn't advise trying it or you could end up on the sex offenders register after 6 months or so avoiding bending in the prison showers.
kwikbreaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:12   #56
Zanny
Inactive

Services: 50Mb BB
Zanny is an unknown quantity at this point

So what will this block achieve?

According to other news sources ( i wont link dont want to annoy mick ) 12,000,000 MORE hits to tpb were achieved after the news broke.

In France with their "harsh" anti piracy laws youd expect legal media consumption to have increased but its.....DECREASED.

all those new laws to keep private corporations pockets lined have achieved the exact opposite of what they wanted to achieve.

Id post links to studies that showed piracy INCREASES sales and those that pirate BUY more than non pirates but that link might be modded as well.

I'll shut up now before im banned but i am disappointed that the mods have chosen to keep the bpi happy.
Zanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:23   #57
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

I am surprised people still use torrents, newsgroups is the way forward until that gets banned.
SnoopZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:31   #58
Zanny
Inactive

Services: 50Mb BB
Zanny is an unknown quantity at this point

Agreed Snoopz whats next? Vm removing our usenet access? If they did that they would lose customers.

Best quote ive read elsewhere today "they need to come up with legal alternatives before they break the internet"
Zanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:49   #59
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanny View Post
Agreed Snoopz whats next? Vm removing our usenet access? If they did that they would lose customers.
If there was a valid court order targeting newsgroups, as is the case with TPB, then Virgin Media wouldn't have any choice but to comply or be in breach of the court order

Whether you like it or not, this isn't a VM (or Sky or TalkTalk or BT) issue. The courts have ruled it must be blocked and so the ISPs have to comply
Old 03-05-2012, 11:26   #60
VMPirateandproud
Inactive

VMPirateandproud is an unknown quantity at this point

How dare you block the piratebay VM I pay £60 a month in ***** good faith. Is this what the internet is going to be like now? *****
Were all get around your stupid blocks,how **** dare you

[Mod edit: there is no need to swear excessively]
VMPirateandproud is offline   Reply With Quote