Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The Pirate Bay is blocked

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

The Pirate Bay is blocked

Old 02-05-2012, 23:12   #31
ileikcaek
cf.addict

ileikcaek has disabled reputation
re: The Pirate Bay is blocked (Discuss but do not post detail of how to get round it)

^^ I am aware of this block, but they are complying with something they don't technically have to since the EU already said otherwise. we will just have to wait and see what happens in the coming weeks. I rarely torrent so it doesn't affect me so much, it just worries me as it will end up being more and more websites blocked in the same way and then we will have fully censored internet in the UK. A stand must be made.
ileikcaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-05-2012, 23:15   #32
_wtf_
Inactive

Services: BT Phone & Infinty, FreesatHD, Freeview, LOVEFiLM, NetFlix, Virgin Mobile
_wtf_ will become famous soon enough_wtf_ will become famous soon enough_wtf_ will become famous soon enough
re: The Pirate Bay is blocked (Discuss but do not post detail of how to get round it)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jempalmer View Post
I wonder why it was TPB that was targeted first. Perhaps because it's the best known? There are scores of torrent trackers to choose from.
Taking down the Pirate Bay has become political.

There's no way a block on TPB will help the content industries and there's no doubt it's actually doing them more harm than good but they are determined to take it down.

You only have to look at the debacle with MegaUpload to realise they don't care how legal their actions are as long as they seem to be winning the war.
_wtf_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 23:23   #33
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickymallory View Post
^^ I am aware of this block, but they are complying with something they don't technically have to since the EU already said otherwise. we will just have to wait and see what happens in the coming weeks. I rarely torrent so it doesn't affect me so much, it just worries me as it will end up being more and more websites blocked in the same way and then we will have fully censored internet in the UK. A stand must be made.
quite agree ,and i bet it won't be long before VM are taken to a higher court and told to unblock TPB
Old 02-05-2012, 23:31   #34
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
quite agree ,and i bet it won't be long before VM are taken to a higher court and told to unblock TPB
Err it won't be VM taken to a court, they're merely obeying a court order. It'll be those who initiated the court action to force the blocking.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 23:38   #35
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
Nothing to do with Virgin Media as it is a law ruling which they have to obey.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 23:41   #36
webrosc
Inactive

Services: XL TV V+, XXL BB, XL Phone
webrosc will become famous soon enoughwebrosc will become famous soon enoughwebrosc will become famous soon enough

I read that VM are against this, but they have been ordered to by the courts so will comply.

Don't the courts realise that TPB is used for other things than pirating?
webrosc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 23:47   #37
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

Of course VM are against this. They're in the business of selling high speed broadband which fits in perfectly for things linked to TPB.

VM wouldn't implement such a thing on their own accord. As much as it might irritate them with capacity, its business, they need business and with that they have to take the blow to gain monies/business/customers whatever.
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 23:53   #38
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
Err it won't be VM taken to a court, they're merely obeying a court order. It'll be those who initiated the court action to force the blocking.
correct , i had a brain implosion
Old 02-05-2012, 23:54   #39
kwikbreaks
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FTTC, FoxSat HDR for TV, Vonage VOIP.
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze age
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by webrosc View Post
Don't the courts realise that TPB is used for other things than pirating?
Arguing that the main function of TPB isn't to aid copyright infringement is about as stupid as forcing ISPs to waste money blocking it IMO.
kwikbreaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 23:57   #40
martyh

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikbreaks View Post
Arguing that the main function of TPB isn't to aid copyright infringement is about as stupid as forcing ISPs to waste money blocking it IMO.
indeed ,i think there's a clue in the name
Old 02-05-2012, 23:58   #41
webrosc
Inactive

Services: XL TV V+, XXL BB, XL Phone
webrosc will become famous soon enoughwebrosc will become famous soon enoughwebrosc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
true.
atleast TPB will be adding new sites to the list as fast as ISP's block them lol
webrosc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 00:05   #42
Gordon_30
Inactive

Gordon_30 is on a distinguished roadGordon_30 is on a distinguished road

This block is actually very easy to bypass , don't know why they bothered , even if people can't access it , there are so many similar sites , blocking the pirate bay is a complete waste of time
Gordon_30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 01:10   #43
Skie
a giant headend

Skie has reached the bronze age
Skie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze age

Even using google translate bypasses it. Can't search, but you can browse the popular torrents by category and user etc.
Skie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 01:25   #44
Daveoc64
cf.addict

Services: Freeview Play, Virgin Media Gig1
Daveoc64 has a spectacular aura about themDaveoc64 has a spectacular aura about themDaveoc64 has a spectacular aura about themDaveoc64 has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyCalling View Post
Presumably this block option will be for violent content and online games as well since violence is a far worse example for children than sex, I think all sane people would agree. Sites with gambling, alchohol and drugs references would obviously be higher up the ban list too of course. Will there be separate options for all these things or will it be a single on/off 'Government Nanny' button that covers everything bad?
This is all still for debate. There's a lot of arguments for and against including all sorts of content (violence, drugs, hate speech etc.)

If it's too restrictive, then everyone will want to turn it off and it becomes pointless.
Daveoc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 01:31   #45
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by _wtf_ View Post
Taking down the Pirate Bay has become political.
It's always been political.

---------- Post added at 00:31 ---------- Previous post was at 00:30 ----------

Quote:
I recall at one point someone pulled out the figure that 70% of content on TPB wasn't copyright-infringing.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote