Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Ryanair Censured

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Ryanair Censured

Old 14-03-2012, 14:34   #61
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Services: 3 phone lines, 100mb broadband, and TV x2 (including one Tivo)
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze age
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze age
Re: Ryanair Censured

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Fry View Post
But if they took over a budget airline, then the airlines would not have to reduce standards on their non-low-cost service, also BA are buting BMI as well, Air Berlin is not a budget airline and is part of the same alliance as BA/Iberia
There are 4 main airline markets:
  • Cargo
  • Business/Sheduled
  • Charter
  • Budget, which is basically like a bus service

Many business passengers will usually travel with the likes of BA, although many are now complaining about BA's standards dropping.

Charter airlines are used mainly for package holidays.

Budget are a bus service by air.

Air Berlin are not part of the BA/Iberia group (unless this has only just happened). And although they are not a budget airline as such, they do dabble in that sector, with very cheap flights on some routes.

BA could learn a lot from Air Berlin, by using supply on demand. After all we are in a worldwide recession, so many business flights no longer go business class, they go budget instead. THey really nood to move with the times, and adjust accordingly.

Quote:
I know I traveled on thr worse one, but even that put me off, some like budget airlines (like yourself) and some do not (like myself)
Yes you travelled on the worst one, so you are in no position to judge the others.

We all like to be pampered, not just you Alan. But for those who aren't rich, then it makes sense to go for the best value. When I fly trans atlantic, then I would rather have a comfortable seat, good entertainment, and a nice meal (or two). But if I'm flying out to may appatment in Mallorca, then it's a two hour flight (it takes longer to drive to visit my mother in Yorkshire). So I will usually just read a book, or look at the view, which when it is clear can make the time fly by. I can easily manage for two hours without a meal, but I can buy food if I want to.

The view is no better from a BA flight, than it is from a budget one:

You need to lear to understand business Alan. BA don't compete with the budget airlines, because they are stuck in the past. If they want to move on during a recession, then they need to follow Air Berlin's example Supply on demand
Tim Deegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-03-2012, 14:45   #62
Alan Fry
Permanently Banned

Services: 100 MB Broadband, XL Tv, Sky Sports and Movies HD, all other prenium channels, 3 TIVO, 2 V HD
Alan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Deegan View Post
There are 4 main airline markets:
  • Cargo
  • Business/Sheduled
  • Charter
  • Budget, which is basically like a bus service

Many business passengers will usually travel with the likes of BA, although many are now complaining about BA's standards dropping.

Charter airlines are used mainly for package holidays.

Budget are a bus service by air.

Air Berlin are not part of the BA/Iberia group (unless this has only just happened). And although they are not a budget airline as such, they do dabble in that sector, with very cheap flights on some routes.

BA could learn a lot from Air Berlin, by using supply on demand. After all we are in a worldwide recession, so many business flights no longer go business class, they go budget instead. THey really nood to move with the times, and adjust accordingly.

Yes you travelled on the worst one, so you are in no position to judge the others.

We all like to be pampered, not just you Alan. But for those who aren't rich, then it makes sense to go for the best value. When I fly trans atlantic, then I would rather have a comfortable seat, good entertainment, and a nice meal (or two). But if I'm flying out to may appatment in Mallorca, then it's a two hour flight (it takes longer to drive to visit my mother in Yorkshire). So I will usually just read a book, or look at the view, which when it is clear can make the time fly by. I can easily manage for two hours without a meal, but I can buy food if I want to.

The view is no better from a BA flight, than it is from a budget one:

You need to lear to understand business Alan. BA don't compete with the budget airlines, because they are stuck in the past. If they want to move on during a recession, then they need to follow Air Berlin's example Supply on demand

What BA need to do is buy EasyJet along with what you have suggested, I accept a lot of people like to travel on Low cost airlines, but for now, I am yet to be convinced. However, for the end of the year I will give EasyJet a try
Also Air Berlin is part of the Oneworld airline alliance which also has American Airlines, BA and Iberia as well

Lastly, do you own or rent an apartment on Mallorca?
Alan Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 16:09   #63
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Tim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze age

Quote:
What BA need to do is buy EasyJet along with what you have suggested, I accept a lot of people like to travel on Low cost airlines, but for now, I am yet to be convinced. However, for the end of the year I will give EasyJet a try
Also Air Berlin is part of the Oneworld airline alliance which also has American Airlines, BA and Iberia as well
BA can't afford to buy Easyjet, and would probably ruin it if they did.

Quote:
Lastly, do you own or rent an apartment on Mallorca?
I don't know what that has got to do with you, or the subject issue?
Old 14-03-2012, 16:37   #64
Alan Fry
Permanently Banned

Services: 100 MB Broadband, XL Tv, Sky Sports and Movies HD, all other prenium channels, 3 TIVO, 2 V HD
Alan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecart

Quote:
BA can't afford to buy Easyjet, and would probably ruin it if they did.

I don't know what that has got to do with you, or the subject issue?
Well if I was running BA I would buy Easyjet and let them be, after all flying low cost or not, BA will get the profit
Old 14-03-2012, 16:56   #65
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Well if I was running BA I would buy Easyjet and let them be, after all flying low cost or not, BA will get the profit
That's why you're not running BA, or any other large business. You are quick to offer an opinion but if your prodigious post rate has proved anything, it's that you largely comment from your position in orbit around some planet other than this one.

Publicly-traded companies like BA cannot just buy up other companies in order to 'get the profit'. Buying another company on that scale is a vastly complex and expensive business. It costs a lot of money to do it - money that belongs to BA shareholders who could, if they wished, simply take out of BA by selling their BA shares and then invest in Easyjet instead. That would be a rather more efficient use of capital.

A PLC's remit is to enhance shareholder value, not destroy it, or even hold it static (which in a market economy is the same as destroying it). BA would have to show how buying Easyjet would *improve* return on capital employed. It won't try to buy that company because it's unlikely it old show any such thing.

Oh, and the competition commission would probably have something to say about it too.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 17:08   #66
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Well you aren't, and you never will be (especially after seing your lack of business sense).

So you think that they should buy a sucessful airline, to prop up a badly managed one??? Now that is a recipe for disaster
Old 14-03-2012, 17:08   #67
Alan Fry
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
That's why you're not running BA, or any other large business. You are quick to offer an opinion but if your prodigious post rate has proved anything, it's that you largely comment from your position in orbit around some planet other than this one.

Publicly-traded companies like BA cannot just buy up other companies in order to 'get the profit'. Buying another company on that scale is a vastly complex and expensive business. It costs a lot of money to do it - money that belongs to BA shareholders who could, if they wished, simply take out of BA by selling their BA shares and then invest in Easyjet instead. That would be a rather more efficient use of capital.

A PLC's remit is to enhance shareholder value, not destroy it, or even hold it static (which in a market economy is the same as destroying it). BA would have to show how buying Easyjet would *improve* return on capital employed. It won't try to buy that company because it's unlikely it old show any such thing.

Oh, and the competition commission would probably have something to say about it too.
BA could say that they will gain a large share of a market they do not operate, also there could be savings in a BA/EasyJet merger, it would also increase its profits as well, as for competition, there is Ryanair and Virgin Atlantic
Old 14-03-2012, 17:11   #68
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Quote:

Exactly

---------- Post added at 16:11 ---------- Previous post was at 16:10 ----------

Quote:
BA could say that they will gain a large share of a market they do not operate, also there could be savings in a BA/EasyJet merger, it would also increase its profits as well, as for competition, there is Ryanair and Virgin Atlantic
Get your head out of the clouds Alan, and actually read what people are telling you.
Old 14-03-2012, 17:13   #69
Alan Fry
Permanently Banned

Quote:

Get your head out of the clouds Alan, and actually read what people are telling you.
I am reading what people are telling me and I have responded, BA needs to take over Easyjet to improve its financial performace
Old 14-03-2012, 17:13   #70
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
If BA argued they could make cost savings with a combined BA/Easyjet company, they could not be said to be leaving Easyjet 'untouched' as you earlier suggested. You're just making all this up as you go along, aren't you!
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 17:21   #71
Alan Fry
Permanently Banned

Quote:
If BA argued they could make cost savings with a combined BA/Easyjet company, they could not be said to be leaving Easyjet 'untouched' as you earlier suggested. You're just making all this up as you go along, aren't you!
I meant, EasyJet will remain a low cost airline, but its back office and stuff like check in etc would be were there could be savings (along with BAs as well)

Ba and Easyjet will also learn the best practises from each other as well
Old 14-03-2012, 17:21   #72
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Quote:
I am reading what people are telling me and I have responded, BA needs to take over Easyjet to improve its financial performace
They won't, and they can't!!!!!
Old 14-03-2012, 17:22   #73
Alan Fry
Permanently Banned

Quote:
They won't, and they can't!!!!!
Not a cash takeover, but maybe a stock takeover (or even a merger)
Old 14-03-2012, 17:26   #74
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Quote:
I meant, EasyJet will remain a low cost airline, but its back office and stuff like check in etc would be were there could be savings (along with BAs as well)

Ba and Easyjet will also learn the best practises from each other as well
So they would bleed Easyjet dry then?

I suppose you are also going to suggest that they only use one super airport?

---------- Post added at 16:26 ---------- Previous post was at 16:23 ----------

Quote:
Not a cash takeover, but maybe a stock takeover (or even a merger)
Hmm, so you think a successful and profitable airline like Easyjet would want to merge with a struggling and unprofitable airline like BA do you???

Maybe you should be on the apprentice
Old 14-03-2012, 17:30   #75
Alan Fry
Permanently Banned

Quote:
So they would bleed Easyjet dry then?

I suppose you are also going to suggest that they only use one super airport?

---------- Post added at 16:26 ---------- Previous post was at 16:23 ----------

Hmm, so you think a successful and profitable airline like Easyjet would want to merge with a struggling and unprofitable airline like BA do you???

Maybe you should be on the apprentice
No, there will be savings from a BA/Easyjet merger and BA would do a takeover of Easyjet with shares, if that was the case ten BA/Easyjet would work