Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Secure Hard Disk Disk Erase

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion

Secure Hard Disk Disk Erase

Old 01-05-2012, 12:07   #1
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
Secure Hard Disk Disk Erase

I have a number of old work PCs (Pentium 4 so yes really old) and server that before they can be recycled, dumped, etc, for data protection I need to ensure the hard drives cannot be read. Short of taking a sledgehammer to the drives, I'm looking at eraser software. I have no budget so it needs to be open source.

I'm currently trying Darik's Boot and Nuke, which was only a few MB in size and easy to download and burn onto a disk. But for even only an 80GB drive, it's going to take around 2 hours to do it's standard single round 3 passes of whatever it's doing.

So, the questions:

Is this the "best" programme, or are there others I could try?

Am I being paranoid, given that some of these PCs and especially the server held accounting and customer data that is subject to DPA? Is the use of this type of software adequate, over the top, or insufficient?
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-05-2012, 12:09   #2
GavChap
Inactive

Services: Virgin 60M BB, M+ TV, L Phone
GavChap will become famous soon enoughGavChap will become famous soon enoughGavChap will become famous soon enough
Re: Secure Hard Disk Disk Erase

Take the hard discs apart and wipe a strong magnet over the drive platters, and throw them out. Then recycle the PCs.
GavChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 12:31   #3
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by GavChap View Post
Take the hard discs apart and wipe a strong magnet over the drive platters, and throw them out. Then recycle the PCs.
Quicker just to take a sledgehammer to them surely?
Old 01-05-2012, 12:51   #4
GavChap
Inactive

GavChap will become famous soon enoughGavChap will become famous soon enoughGavChap will become famous soon enough

Yes, but a sledgehammer doesn't erase the data, and may not do more than dent the platters unless they're glass platters.
Old 01-05-2012, 12:59   #5
tizmeinnit

do you realise how strong the magnet needs to be to do that??

you could zero the drive there are loads of programs that do it but it takes ages and a forensic could still retrieve data

If its really critical strip the drives and smash the platters
Old 01-05-2012, 13:03   #6
GavChap
Inactive

You'd need a really strong magnet yes, something like off a large subwoofer. You might in fact be better off getting someone like Shred-IT to come take them away and pulverise them, it depends how much you want that data destroyed. But you said you have no budget.
Old 01-05-2012, 13:08   #7
tizmeinnit

you are kidding me right? we are talking industrial electro magnetic fields.

---------- Post added at 12:08 ---------- Previous post was at 12:04 ----------

http://www.pcworld.com/article/11657..._pc_myths.html

have a little read of this and its not the techguys pcworld its something else

DBAN will zero the drive fine only someone loaded or a computer forensic examiner will retrieve anything after. Remember it takes ages
Old 01-05-2012, 13:13   #8
GavChap
Inactive

I stand corrected. Just destroy them with extreme prejudice.
Old 01-05-2012, 13:13   #9
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by tizmeinnit View Post
you are kidding me right? we are talking industrial electro magnetic fields.

---------- Post added at 12:08 ---------- Previous post was at 12:04 ----------

http://www.pcworld.com/article/11657..._pc_myths.html

have a little read of this and its not the techguys pcworld its something else

DBAN will zero the drive fine only someone loaded or a computer forensic examiner will retrieve anything after. Remember it takes ages
I agree best to do it properly and not use a magnet, use the right software or if you have to take it apart and destroy the platters.
SnoopZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 13:22   #10
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

An iron magnet won't do sod all as the poles won't fully change the data to a point it can;t be easily recovered..

Now a strong AC magnet will do the trick and that's what's used by the larger companies that need their data removed before disposal.. You could just take out the platters and microwave them though you also need a cup of water inside the MW and you will get some sparks
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 13:30   #11
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

Not sure that the office health and safety policies will go for that one
Old 01-05-2012, 13:49   #12
mark1234
Inactive

Services: Virgin TV XL, Broadband XL (60), Phone XL, Windows 7 Media Centre
mark1234 is a name known to allmark1234 is a name known to allmark1234 is a name known to allmark1234 is a name known to allmark1234 is a name known to allmark1234 is a name known to allmark1234 is a name known to allmark1234 is a name known to all

The safest option is to remove and destroy the drives. Then dispose of the PCs without drives.
mark1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 13:51   #13
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

I have the same problem and was thinking of just smashing them up with an sds drill, club hammer or something but I think I'll take the opportunity to see what's inside and then use the platters as target practice for my trusty Theoben SLR98.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 14:28   #14
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

DBAN is, to be honest, what I consider to be an industry standard. It's fast, reliable, simple, and flexible.

The speed bottleneck is usually the drive itself, so no other software is going to do the same thing faster. Note also, that you don't *need* to do 3 passes if you don't want to, a single pass is obviously 3 times faster - DBAN is fully configurable so you can do as many passes as you want.

In my opinion 1 single pass is perfectly sufficient. The cost of hardware and expertise required to recover data even from a single pass is immense, and beyond that of even most professional data recovery companies. Multiple passes (i.e. 3-7) are pretty much overkill barring top secret government data (there is a reason for the DoD approved 3/7 pass routines - they are officially sanctioned for top-secret government data) - but what's a few hours of leaving a computer in a rack somewhere and ignoring it?

So to cut it short - 3 passes (the default with DBAN) - perfectly adequate. Any more is over the top, less may be adequate in practice, but may not be legally.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 15:09   #15
tizmeinnit

good job they released the info about Guttman being way to much though isnt it :-) 35 passes of a 2TB drive now that would take a lifetime