Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Improve Ping Test Results?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Improve Ping Test Results?

Old 06-01-2010, 03:25   #1
AdzyUK
Inactive

Services: Broadband XL, TV L, Phone M. vHD, PS3, Mac
AdzyUK is an unknown quantity at this point
Improve Ping Test Results?

I constantly get F ratings on the www.pingtest.net website when I test my VM connection (10Mbps).. Is there any way at all to improve this rating? I play on Xbox Live every now & again, and it is known to lag...

Thanks,
Adam.
AdzyUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-01-2010, 19:15   #2
AdzyUK
Inactive

Re: Improve Ping Test Results?

Sorry to bump, but does anyone actually know how to rectify this?
Old 14-01-2010, 20:32   #3
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Post your modem stats and the results of a pathping www.bbc.co.uk and we'll see if there's anything gleanable.

Tell us also your location, please.

You've no doubt read other threads and this is the starting point for assessing issues.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2010, 11:54   #4
DOODuk
Inactive

DOODuk is an unknown quantity at this point

Dont know if this helps but im with talktalk and asked them to put me on a fastpath profile which is more for gamers and it reduced my pings greatly
DOODuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2010, 10:17   #5
yorkshireborn
Inactive

Services: SkyQ silver 2TB SkyQ mini multiroom Boxset skysports HD skymovies HD Virgin vivid 350meg
yorkshireborn has a spectacular aura about themyorkshireborn has a spectacular aura about themyorkshireborn has a spectacular aura about themyorkshireborn has a spectacular aura about them

i did the test and was very suprised
normally i get a ping of 61 and a packet loss of 10%

yorkshireborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2010, 20:52   #6
AdzyUK
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
Post your modem stats and the results of a pathping www.bbc.co.uk and we'll see if there's anything gleanable.

Tell us also your location, please.

You've no doubt read other threads and this is the starting point for assessing issues.
Well my PingTest result is:

My modem downstream:
Quote:
Downstream Lock : Locked
Downstream Channel Id : 4
Downstream Frequency : 331000000 Hz
Downstream Modulation : QAM256
Downstream Symbol Rate :
5360.537 Ksym/sec
Downstream Interleave Depth : taps32 Increment4
Downstream Receive Power Level : 12.6 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 41.2 dB
My modem upstream:
Quote:
Upstream Lock : Locked
Upstream Channel ID : 4
Upstream Frequency : 22200000 Hz
Upstream Modulation : QAM16
Upstream Symbol Rate : 2560 Ksym/sec
Upstream transmit Power Level : 29.0 dBmV
Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 2
Pathping result:
Quote:
Unable to resolve target system name http://www.bbc.co.uk.
I'm in Wednesbury, in the West Midlands.
Old 24-01-2010, 22:00   #7
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Your downstream power is too high and your upstream power rather low. I'd say the two in combination are indicative of a problem in the network. If you post your problem story and stats on the support newsgroup, they'll test your circuit and give you an informed opinion.

Old 24-01-2010, 22:04   #8
AdzyUK
Inactive

I don't know how to use newsgroups, couldn't I just phone VM Technical Support?
Old 24-01-2010, 22:17   #9
Sephiroth
Simples

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdzyUK View Post
I don't know how to use newsgroups, couldn't I just phone VM Technical Support?
Yeah - you can do that if you want to bang your head against a brick wall. Worth a try just once at around 08:30 when you might get a UK agent.

Otherwise, if you're on Vista or Windows 7, you would use Windows Live Mail (a standard part of your system). To get on the VM Newsgroup you need to be operating through the VM broadband system.

In Windows Live Mail, you'd click the "Newsgroups" link at the bottom of the screen and then Tools/Accounts then Add/Newsgroup Account.

Give your Display Name (like kiloman), your e-mail address then your server address for the newsgroup which is "news.virginmedia.com".

You'll then be able (via the Newsgroups menu item) to select the Virgin media icon on the left of a search panel, click on "All" and wait a few minutes till it's finished listing thousands of newsgroups.

Scroll down to "Virginmedia.support.broadband.cable" and double click it.

And you're there. You can post your stuff including any evidence you've collected.

Old 26-01-2010, 12:03   #10
merlintt
Inactive

merlintt is an unknown quantity at this point

I used to get an A+ rating when i was on 50meg but it didn`t stop people spawning without weapons in gears of war 2.Back on 20 meg now and still get an A+ rating.
merlintt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2010, 12:21   #11
Sephiroth
Simples

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlintt View Post
I used to get an A+ rating when i was on 50meg but it didn`t stop people spawning without weapons in gears of war 2.Back on 20 meg now and still get an A+ rating.
Sorry to be controversial. Pingtest.net is utterly useless (as you've shown!). Your gaming experience is what matters and the path to the server. Pathping will properly identify bottlenecks in the VM network and in the back end leg toward the actual gaming server which will then reject the pings.

So try Pathping to your game server and see whwre the delay lies.