Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Phone interview for Virgin media.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle

0123 calls.

Old 03-09-2010, 08:16   #1
Eric55
Inactive

Eric55 will become famous soon enoughEric55 will become famous soon enoughEric55 will become famous soon enough
0123 calls.

Had a phone call last night from an Indian call centre , the guy on the other end said I was owed £700 in bank charges, at that moment I politly told him where to go. I did 1471 and the number was 0123. I was looking at teletext on BBC this morning and it said it was a scam.

---------- Post added at 07:16 ---------- Previous post was at 07:07 ----------

Just found a link on the BBC website http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-s...wales-11168250
Eric55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 03-09-2010, 10:07   #2
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: 0123 calls.

Yes, I expect the helpful call centre agent would shortly have been asking you for your bank details ...

I wonder how they make it look like a UK phone number though.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 10:30   #3
haydnwalker
Inactive

Services: TV:Sky+, BB:DRL VDSL2 40/10 with Ask4, Phone:Mobile Only
haydnwalker has reached the bronze age
haydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze age

They just spoof numbers using some kind of device... like the 0000000000 number that appears on our 1471 occasionally
haydnwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 10:44   #4
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric55 View Post
Had a phone call last night from an Indian call centre , the guy on the other end said I was owed £700 in bank charges, at that moment I politly told him where to go. I did 1471 and the number was 0123. I was looking at teletext on BBC this morning and it said it was a scam.

Just found a link on the BBC website http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-s...wales-11168250
A neighbour of mine's technique for dealing with calls like this is to ask the caller to hold on a moment while he turns down the TV and then just leave the phone off the hook for about 15 mins. It seems to have worked for him.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 10:51   #5
Pauls9
Inactive

Services: VM TVM HD, BBL, phone; BT phone; Freeview.
Pauls9 has reached the bronze age
Pauls9 has reached the bronze agePauls9 has reached the bronze agePauls9 has reached the bronze agePauls9 has reached the bronze agePauls9 has reached the bronze agePauls9 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
A neighbour of mine's technique for dealing with calls like this is to ask the caller to hold on a moment while he turns down the TV and then just leave the phone off the hook for about 15 mins. It seems to have worked for him.
Depends on the person on the other end. After doing just that, our phone rang at 2 or 3 am for the next two weeks.
Pauls9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 10:57   #6
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Bedford starts 01234, what was the next digit after the 3??
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 12:51   #7
Druchii
cf.mega poster

Services: Canal Digital: 50/10
Druchii has a nice shiny star
Druchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric55 View Post

Had a similar one yesterday from +0044020......

Saying "You are owed 2000GBP from a loan".
When further questioned/pushed, the person said "The loan you took out for the car".

It's a scam. A crap one too, had us laughing down the phone.
Druchii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 13:24   #8
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Druchii View Post
Had a similar one yesterday from +0044020......

Saying "You are owed 2000GBP from a loan".
When further questioned/pushed, the person said "The loan you took out for the car".

It's a scam. A crap one too, had us laughing down the phone.
Did they actually say "2000GBP"?

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 13:28   #9
Eric55
Inactive

Eric55 will become famous soon enoughEric55 will become famous soon enoughEric55 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
Bedford starts 01234, what was the next digit after the 3??
There is no other digit just 0123.
Eric55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 13:29   #10
Druchii
cf.mega poster

Services: Canal Digital: 50/10
Druchii has a nice shiny star
Druchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
Did they actually say "2000GBP"?
Nope, my keyboard is acting up. Couldn't do the £ symbol. They said "pounds".
Druchii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 15:49   #11
Pauls9
Inactive

Services: VM TVM HD, BBL, phone; BT phone; Freeview.
Pauls9 has reached the bronze age
Pauls9 has reached the bronze agePauls9 has reached the bronze agePauls9 has reached the bronze agePauls9 has reached the bronze agePauls9 has reached the bronze agePauls9 has reached the bronze age

If it's a Windows keyboard, try holding down the Alt key and typing 0163 on the numeric keypad.
Pauls9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 16:11   #12
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

I have just had one of these calls. on 1471 the number is showing as 001234567890 There was no one there when I answered and then the call disconnected.

The one I had prior to this call was the same number and during that call I was informed that my bank had identified that I had been overcharged £700 in overdraft fees and if I gave my bank account details it would be refunded immediately. I asked the guy what bank he was representing but he said he couldn't tell me because of the Data Protection Act.

Pity I have never had an overdraft, I could have been £700 better off.

It's a shame when these calls come just as I get settled down for a rest 'cause I love winding the callers up. My deaf routine really gets them frustrated.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:23   #13
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauls9 View Post
Depends on the person on the other end. After doing just that, our phone rang at 2 or 3 am for the next two weeks.
If that happened to me I'd either just leave the phone off the hook at night or set the answerphone to come on instantly. Nobody's going to call us at that time unless it's urgent and if it's urgent they'll have our mobile numbers to contact also.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote