Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 21-08-2015, 15:21   #1891
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by toady View Post
The US version of Netflix is so much better than the UK version which I access with a VPN enabled on my router
Agreed also a us based vpn or smart dns opens up hulu which is free hulu+ isn't aswell as channels like cbs, fox etc.
I use a multi vpn set up on my pc, my pc is a wifi hotspot so firetv and appletv connect direct to that to access the internet, last time i tried to set up my tplink wd3600 to vpn it went pear shaped lol, the dd wrtr firmware installed no problem, the scripts went on correctly but it did not want to connect lol.
Advertisement
Old 21-08-2015, 16:04   #1892
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by toady View Post
The US version of Netflix is so much better than the UK version which I access with a VPN enabled on my router
I know that this is certainly the case, toady, but don't we get access to those programmes by alternative means? Am I not right in thinking that the main advantage of a vpn is access to these programmes at a cheaper price?
Old 21-08-2015, 17:15   #1893
pengedragon
cf.addict

Services: Full House, V6, Netflix, Spotify Premium, Sky Go Extra, Eleven Sports, PS4 , 100 meg bb
pengedragon is just really nicepengedragon is just really nicepengedragon is just really nicepengedragon is just really nicepengedragon is just really nicepengedragon is just really nice

There seems to be a wider selection of programmes and more current films on us netflix

---------- Post added at 16:13 ---------- Previous post was at 16:11 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone2k10 View Post
Agreed also a us based vpn or smart dns opens up hulu which is free hulu+ isn't aswell as channels like cbs, fox etc..
What would the free tier of Hulu give me access to?

---------- Post added at 16:15 ---------- Previous post was at 16:13 ----------

Quote:
HBO Now is basically HBOGO but not linked to a cable sub the on demand is superb loads of shows and movies.[COLOR="Silver"]
Thanks
Old 21-08-2015, 17:37   #1894
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by pengedragon View Post
There seems to be a wider selection of programmes and more current films on us netflix
Although having looked at the '20 most popular box sets' on the US version of Netfix, we do appear to have access to them all.

I think I must commence a detailed comparison of these US sites with what we have on offer over here so I can work out whether there are any advantages to looking at the vpn solution.

As soon as I have a spare half day...!
Old 21-08-2015, 19:25   #1895
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:

http://www.hulu.com/

But you need to access it through a PC.

CBS shows aren't available on Hulu, but Unblock us will give you access to the CBS website for their shows.

---------- Post added at 18:25 ---------- Previous post was at 17:56 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Although having looked at the '20 most popular box sets' on the US version of Netfix, we do appear to have access to them all.
Don't forget that it's not just US Netflix; Unblockus gives you access to 21 regions.

Here are just a few shows, off the top of my head, not available on UK Netflix, that are available on other regions.

The Borgia's
Mad Men
Bitten
Californication
Fleming: The Man Who Would Be Bond
Halt and Catch Fire
TURN: Washington's Spies
House of Lies
Magic City
Ray Donovan
Rectify
Old 21-08-2015, 19:55   #1896
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:

---------- Post added at 16:13 ---------- Previous post was at 16:11 ----------

---------- Post added at 16:15 ---------- Previous post was at 16:13 ----------

Thanks
The free tier of HULU gives you access to shows from ABC, FOX, NBC, Comedy central amongst other stuff most stuff is on there about a week after it airs in the US plus Hulu also has movies on too, HULU does have adverts but they aren't too bad about 5 ad breaks each a minute long per show (30 min shows get 3 ad breaks)
AS PB said unblock-us will give you access to CBS aswell as CW and a few others.
Old 21-08-2015, 20:16   #1897
zantarous
www.magicorptech.blogspot

Services: V.I.P
zantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful one

Well after thinking abut it for months I have pulled the trigger and reduced my package from £68 to £37 by reducing my broadband from 152MB to 100MB, got rid of multiview so the Tivo in the bedroom goes and funnily enough keeping the Tivo in the livingroom with the free TV pack is actually cheaper then getting rid of it.

So TV will now consist of Netflix, Amazon Instant Steaming and Now TV (Via Fire TV/Android TV/Chromecast). If worst comes to worse I can always upgrade the TV back to XL if I miss it too much but I honestly can't remember the last time I fired up the Tivo in the bedroom and the one in the Living room only goes on once in a blue moon if I want to watch the news.
Old 21-08-2015, 20:22   #1898
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by zantarous View Post
Well after thinking abut it for months I have pulled the trigger and reduced my package from £68 to £37 by reducing my broadband from 152MB to 100MB, got rid of multiview so the Tivo in the bedroom goes and funnily enough keeping the Tivo in the livingroom with the free TV pack is actually cheaper then getting rid of it.

So TV will now consist of Netflix, Amazon Instant Steaming and Now TV (Via Fire TV/Android TV/Chromecast). If worst comes to worse I can always upgrade the TV back to XL if I miss it too much but I honestly can't remember the last time I fired up the Tivo in the bedroom and the one in the Living room only goes on once in a blue moon if I want to watch the news.
I'd suspect you probably still count in their TV numbers just a guess though.
Old 21-08-2015, 21:33   #1899
zantarous
www.magicorptech.blogspot

Services: V.I.P
zantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful one

Probably, I kept it as a back up for things like the world cup and European cup as streaming live channels isn't quite up there with VOD just yet.
Old 21-08-2015, 21:56   #1900
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

I think the main problem for footie fans like me is cutting the cord and then not having access to all the football, basically Sky and BT have us by the balls!
Old 22-08-2015, 07:58   #1901
pengedragon
cf.addict

Services: Full House, V6, Netflix, Spotify Premium, Sky Go Extra, Eleven Sports, PS4 , 100 meg bb
pengedragon is just really nicepengedragon is just really nicepengedragon is just really nicepengedragon is just really nicepengedragon is just really nicepengedragon is just really nice

agree max, think i've said before on here i'm a massive sports fan and thats the only reason i'm still in

i'm quite up on all these streaming options, have a ps4 under the tv which helps a lot but its the premium sport that keeps me subscribing undoubtedly

thanks for the info above passingbat and theone, have gone to the paid unblockus for the first time so shall investigate further
Old 22-08-2015, 09:32   #1902
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
I think the main problem for footie fans like me is cutting the cord and then not having access to all the football, basically Sky and BT have us by the balls!
You can get all the sport now as a cord cutter, by using BT broadband together with the recently announced Now TV monthly sports pass
Old 26-08-2015, 22:15   #1903
theone2k10
Inactive

Those using a smart dns or vpn the first episode of fear the walking dead is now available on AMC no login needed http://www.amc.com/
Old 26-08-2015, 22:49   #1904
Superblade7
cf.geek

Services: Sky Q 2TB & Sky Q Mini (Box Sets with Cinema & Sports HD) with VM VIVID 100Mbps Broadband & M Phone
Superblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Those using a smart dns or vpn the first episode of fear the walking dead is now available on AMC no login needed http://www.amc.com/
Watched that last night and it looks like it's gonna be a good series
Old 31-08-2015, 14:08   #1905
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
http://www.hulu.com/

But you need to access it through a PC.

CBS shows aren't available on Hulu, but Unblock us will give you access to the CBS website for their shows.

---------- Post added at 18:25 ---------- Previous post was at 17:56 ----------

Don't forget that it's not just US Netflix; Unblockus gives you access to 21 regions.

Here are just a few shows, off the top of my head, not available on UK Netflix, that are available on other regions.

The Borgia's
Mad Men
Bitten
Californication
Fleming: The Man Who Would Be Bond
Halt and Catch Fire
TURN: Washington's Spies
House of Lies
Magic City
Ray Donovan
Rectify
I'm not that overwhelmed by that list, the one. I know that these were just a few of the shows, but I note that all of these shows are available in the UK.

I think that signing up for Amazon Prime and Now TV meets just about all my needs now. The only shows I cannot access now are 'Fear of the Walking Dead' and 'Rectify', which are both on BT'S new AMC channel, which you have kindly reassured us will be on Virgin Media soon!
Closed Thread