Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Old 15-11-2016, 15:47   #1171
Kabaal
Haggis Hunting

Kabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of Quads
Re: Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

I think my Tivo just downloaded the new software, had the blue light after plugging it back in.

Software Version : 20.5.7.RC24-VMC-2-C00

It seems a bit faster but then I have just turned it off at the mains and back on which i never normally do.
Kabaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 15-11-2016, 16:57   #1172
Inactive Digital
cf.addict

Services: VM broadband, Stream, phone. Sky Q
Inactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
This should take no more than 30 seconds and will carry on being rolled out during the rest of November.
30 seconds?! that'll be the fastest thing those boxes have ever done! 30 minutes?

Last edited by Inactive Digital; 15-11-2016 at 17:34.
Inactive Digital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2016, 17:48   #1173
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inactive Digital View Post
30 minutes?
Indeed. What's your (incorrect) source, Richard?

---------- Post added at 17:48 ---------- Previous post was at 17:46 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabaal View Post
Software Version : 20.5.7.RC24-VMC-2-C00
Yeah, that's the new one if you have a Cisco box. It's 20.5.7.RC24-VMS-2-C8A for Samsung.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2016, 17:49   #1174
Kabaal
Haggis Hunting

Kabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of Quads

He's just copied seconds instead of minutes from the announcement on the VM forum. Not that it matters how long as the important thing really is that there is an update at all, mine took ~10mins to do.
Old 15-11-2016, 17:56   #1175
cj136uk
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media, TiVo/XL TV, XXL Internet, M Phone.
cj136uk will become famous soon enoughcj136uk will become famous soon enoughcj136uk will become famous soon enough

On VMs forum today. Wonder if this will stop the drain to sky, due to TiVo problems
cj136uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2016, 18:05   #1176
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
He's just copied seconds instead of minutes from the announcement on the VM forum.
I'd like him to confirm that. If the wrong information is somewhere, it needs to be corrected. (A nice illustration of why it's always a good idea to post a link to your source)

Quote:
Not that it matters how long
It matters if people are expecting it to take 30 seconds. They could think there's a fault when there isn't.

You are correct that in most cases it takes about 10 minutes, but occasionally it can take longer.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2016, 18:18   #1177
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
I'd like him to confirm that. If the wrong information is somewhere, it needs to be corrected. (A nice illustration of why it's always a good idea to post a link to your source)

It matters if people are expecting it to take 30 seconds. They could think there's a fault when there isn't.

You are correct that in most cases it takes about 10 minutes, but occasionally it can take longer.
It was sourced from an email that was forwarded.

The wording is indeed similar to the VM Community Announcement, but with "seconds" instead of "minutes".

I'm more inclined to believe that it will be 30 minutes

Has anyone who has had the download yet found that it has improved things long term?

I imagine that it may speed up initially as it will probably reboot at some point.

I hope it doesn't just disable Suggestions/Thumbs up!?!?

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 15-11-2016 at 18:26.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2016, 19:18   #1178
cj136uk
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media, TiVo/XL TV, XXL Internet, M Phone.
cj136uk will become famous soon enoughcj136uk will become famous soon enoughcj136uk will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
It was sourced from an email that was forwarded.

The wording is indeed similar to the VM Community Announcement, but with "seconds" instead of "minutes".

I'm more inclined to believe that it will be 30 minutes

Has anyone who has had the download yet found that it has improved things long term?

I imagine that it may speed up initially as it will probably reboot at some point.

I hope it doesn't just disable Suggestions/Thumbs up!?!?
Anyone have the update to confirm speed and suggestions/thumbs
cj136uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2016, 19:29   #1179
Kabaal
Haggis Hunting

It's definitely faster, for now, but probably better to ask that again in a week when it hasn't recently rebooted. Not sure what's you guys are talking about with thumbs though as i didn't use them before anyway.
Old 15-11-2016, 19:55   #1180
i am not scouse
cf.member

Services: 65"Samsung 4k tv. X2 v6 x3tivo's 200mb bb and a phone line I don't use.
i am not scouse is on a distinguished roadi am not scouse is on a distinguished road

Just had a box swap and the new box is back to the old tivo. Very responsive but I have noticed that on the mini menu there is no longer a fancy info tag of the channel you are on. But if that's all it takes to get back to this responsive I'll accept it
i am not scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2016, 20:25   #1181
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
It's definitely faster, for now, but probably better to ask that again in a week when it hasn't recently rebooted. Not sure what's you guys are talking about with thumbs though as i didn't use them before anyway.
Some people have reported that deleting all 'Thumbs up' entries speeds up the box.

Even if you don't actively use thumbs up, I believe that the TiVo always gives one thumbs up to everything that you record, so it might be worth clearing them.

I never took mine off as this was a USP for me when I changed over to TiVo.

I agree, we will only know if the update has worked if it's still running faster after some use.

---------- Post added at 20:25 ---------- Previous post was at 20:14 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by i am not scouse View Post
Just had a box swap and the new box is back to the old tivo. Very responsive but I have noticed that on the mini menu there is no longer a fancy info tag of the channel you are on. But if that's all it takes to get back to this responsive I'll accept it
I agree, functionality before superfluous bells & whistles every time.

Does anyone know if this update has only gone to the old TiVos or does it include the V6 too?
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2016, 21:04   #1182
Gavin-D
cf.mega poster

Gavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these parts

Quote:

We are aware that some customers have been experiencing some slowness when using their TiVoŽ service recently. We’ve listened to the feedback and have been working to understand what the problems are and how we can fix this. We want to ensure that we give our customers the best service we can and have been testing a number of changes to help speed up the boxes.

We’ve now started to roll out a new code to all our TiVo boxes to help make our TV service quicker, the plan is to complete the roll-out throughout the rest of November.

There’s nothing you will need to do as the changes will take place overnight and won’t affect any of your TiVo box settings or recordings. Please note if the TiVo box is switched off the code will then download when you switch it back on again; this normally takes no more than 30 minutes to complete.
http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...257296#M150142
Gavin-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2016, 21:58   #1183
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Because in large homes wifi can be a complete nightmare , go and read the Sky Q forums.
At least Q has built in powerline. Which while not officially enabled it is really easy to turn on if you have sky broadband as well.
Old 15-11-2016, 22:34   #1184
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
At least Q has built in powerline. Which while not officially enabled it is really easy to turn on if you have sky broadband as well.
True although not yet officially supported.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2016, 00:51   #1185
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
True although not yet officially supported.
Can't be far off as the Q hub had an update last month that added it to the main settings so it's not hidden. Only hidden on the actual stb and mini.