Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Old 14-11-2016, 11:31   #1156
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Currently the non-return cost for the current TiVo box is £78, not £150.

The Hub 3.0 non-return cost is £34.
Old 14-11-2016, 17:45   #1157
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I agree. My box is on its last legs now. It has frozen in the middle of a programme I recorded on two recent occasions. Each time, the box started a re-boot, failed within seconds, started again, failed and so on in a loop it could not seem to escape. Unplugging it for a couple of minutes sorted it out, but sooner or later it will pack up. For this reason, I am banking on the new boxes being available to all of us on 1 December.

I am inquiring on Monday whether I can book a new box for December, but I think I know what the answer will be. That is, that I will have to wait until the launch before placing a booking. I hope I'm wrong.
Well, I suppose I should have guessed it. The VM guy said that all he knew was that customers could complete the online form to indicate an interest in being amongst the first to receive the new box.

He knew nothing about the 30 November event or any ability to pre-order the boxes, so clearly, Virgin are keeping their cards close to their collective chest.

Well, unless I hear to the contrary, I shall be on the blower to Virgin first thing on 1 December, with fingers tightly crossed.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2016, 18:17   #1158
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Is it the fee that VM charges customers for non-return? That doesn't mean that is how much Tivo is worth or costs VM, it's a figure that VM uses to encourage return of the equipment. The same psychology as a potential parking fine.
Regarding how much a Tivo box is valued at, I believe that VM follows accounting practice and depreciates the value over five years to zero so some of the Tivo boxes will be on VM's balance sheet for £0 by now.
Of course, if you don't return a box then VM may have to purchase a replacement Tivo but I doubt it pays anything like £150 per box.
Yes, it's the non return fee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Currently the non-return cost for the current TiVo box is £78, not £150.

The Hub 3.0 non-return cost is £34.
In the packaging that I was sent to return the TiVo by taking it to a collection point, it said that if the TiVo never reached VM, a £150 charge would be applied.

This was another reason why I wanted VM to pick up the box, as the way this is worded suggests that if someone returned a box to a collection point and it went astray, the former customer would be blamed and charged £150.

Quote:
Well, I suppose I should have guessed it. The VM guy said that all he knew was that customers could complete the online form to indicate an interest in being amongst the first to receive the new box.

He knew nothing about the 30 November event or any ability to pre-order the boxes, so clearly, Virgin are keeping their cards close to their collective chest.

Well, unless I hear to the contrary, I shall be on the blower to Virgin first thing on 1 December, with fingers tightly crossed.
This was exactly my reason for escalating my complaint upwards after deciding that it was make or break time between myself & VM.

There are approximately 2 million TiVos out there, but, apparently, only 10,000 will be given out this year...

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 14-11-2016 at 18:31.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2016, 18:28   #1159
Inactive Digital
cf.addict

Services: VM broadband, Stream, phone. Sky Q
Inactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
This was another reason why I wanted VM to pick up the box, as the way this is worded suggests that if someone returned a box to a collection point and it went astray, the former customer would be blamed and charged £150.
When I dropped off my Tivo at the Collect Plus, I was given a receipt with a tracking code and could see it was delivered to Virgin the next day.
Inactive Digital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2016, 18:33   #1160
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inactive Digital View Post
When I dropped off my Tivo at the Collect Plus, I was given a receipt with a tracking code and could see it was delivered to Virgin the next day.
If it had of said this I would have felt a lot happier about having it dropped off.

I wonder if the system varies from collection point to collection point?

There are going to be an awful lot of TiVo's in transit in the future...
Old 14-11-2016, 18:49   #1161
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:

This was exactly my reason for escalating my complaint upwards after deciding that it was make or break time between myself & VM.

There are approximately 2 million TiVos out there, but, apparently, only 10,000 will be given out this year...
It's no reason to leave VM, as far as I'm concerned. I can hold on for as long as my Tivo does. It has many of my favourite recordings on there and I want to see as many of them as possible before parting company with my old Tivo, which has served me well over the last four or five years.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2016, 19:53   #1162
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
It's no reason to leave VM, as far as I'm concerned. I can hold on for as long as my Tivo does. It has many of my favourite recordings on there and I want to see as many of them as possible before parting company with my old Tivo, which has served me well over the last four or five years.
Well, if you're happy with the status quo, i'm sure VM will be
Old 14-11-2016, 23:59   #1163
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Could they be self-install for some people.? Maybe those with a current Tivo and V+ can get the V6 via courier and then return the V+ to VM.
Quote:
Apart from new customers, I believe that they will all be self install.
Update:

It appears that VM may have changed their mind about self install as i've now been told that my V6 will be brought on Thursday by an engineer who will take my old box away with him after installing the new box.

Again, I don't know if this has been done to appease me or will be done for everyone converting to the new box.

They have also agreed to credit my account with a further £60, in effect this covers the TiVo fee from April when my box started going slow.
Old 15-11-2016, 00:08   #1164
dodgem22
cf.addict

Services: virgin tv phone and broadband giff gaff mobile
dodgem22 has a spectacular aura about themdodgem22 has a spectacular aura about themdodgem22 has a spectacular aura about themdodgem22 has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Update:

It appears that VM may have changed their mind about self install as i've now been told that my V6 will be brought on Thursday by an engineer who will take my old box away with him after installing the new box.

Again, I don't know if this has been done to appease me or will be done for everyone converting to the new box.

They have also agreed to credit my account with a further £60, in effect this covers the TiVo fee from April when my box started going slow.
Looking forward to your thoughts on the V6 when you get it. Hope I can get one soon myself.
dodgem22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2016, 00:40   #1165
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgem22 View Post
Looking forward to your thoughts on the V6 when you get it. Hope I can get one soon myself.
I hope that you will be able to get one soon too. My concerns is that if it is the case that self install is not going to be available, that it will delay the rollout. If I think on, i'll ask the installer when he's here.

I can't knock VM for wanting to make sure that everything will work properly though, I suspect that they will want to make sure that VOD works as there is no longer a built in modem.

If your router isn't in close proximity to the TiVo (which mine isn't), then I believe that they fit Powerline adapters free of charge.

Perhaps the built in modem was needed when TiVo was first introduced as at that time we didn't have the high BB speeds that we have now??

I'll be happy to answer any questions that you have Dodgem

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 15-11-2016 at 00:50.
Old 15-11-2016, 09:54   #1166
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
If it had of said this I would have felt a lot happier about having it dropped off.

I wonder if the system varies from collection point to collection point?

There are going to be an awful lot of TiVo's in transit in the future...
That is a standard feature of collect+

À lot of online retailers now do returns that way as well as deliveries.
Old 15-11-2016, 14:28   #1167
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

Quote:
If your router isn't in close proximity to the TiVo (which mine isn't), then I believe that they fit Powerline adapters free of charge.
The V6 can connect via wifi as well on either the 2.4GHz or 5GHz band.

If no ethernet cable or powerline adapter is connected when the V6 is installed, it will present a list of wifi SSIDs to choose from for the installation.
RobboEdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2016, 16:24   #1168
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
That is a standard feature of collect+

À lot of online retailers now do returns that way as well as deliveries.
Cheers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobboEdin View Post
The V6 can connect via wifi as well on either the 2.4GHz or 5GHz band.

If no ethernet cable or powerline adapter is connected when the V6 is installed, it will present a list of wifi SSIDs to choose from for the installation.
Excellent! I think I must have been reading about hooking up two TiVo boxes together in error or something.

So I it looks like the days of Ethernet cables & Powerline adapters are a thing of the past for MRS too for those with more than one V6.

Makes you wonder why they're not doing self install??
Old 15-11-2016, 16:31   #1169
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Cheers.

Excellent! I think I must have been reading about hooking up two TiVo boxes together in error or something.

So I it looks like the days of Ethernet cables & Powerline adapters are a thing of the past for MRS too for those with more than one V6.

Makes you wonder why they're not doing self install??
Because in large homes wifi can be a complete nightmare , go and read the Sky Q forums.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2016, 16:38   #1170
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Because in large homes wifi can be a complete nightmare , go and read the Sky Q forums.
Okidoki.

Some good news for those with a slow box.

VM are now rolling out a software update to try and improve the speed.

This should take no more than 30 seconds and will carry on being rolled out during the rest of November.

If the box is switched off at the time of the update, it will download it as soon as it is switched back on.