Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Old 07-11-2016, 13:02   #1051
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
Re: Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin-D View Post
Unless Virgin were to get some 4K content like BT sport or other channels I have no reason to get the new box my TV already has Netflix and Youtube in 4K
Has your TV got Amazon? I suspect that Virgin Movies will offer 4K content too making four sources in total, maybe some commissioned content will be announced making five.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-11-2016, 13:07   #1052
Ultimate.Conj
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Oomph 600mb, XL TV, Sky Movies & Sports HD, Amazon Prime, Netflix UHD
Ultimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
I'm not trying to pick anything apart they do not have any UHD channels. A few events a week doesn't make it a channel. You've said it On Demand with several UHD sporting events a week.
I'm not arguing with you.
You know, I know, OB knows and everyone else on here knows there are no Sky UHD channels.

But when OB uses the phrase "Premium UHD channels", I took it to mean the 4K football and 4K movies that only sky customers would have exclusive access too.

You just tried to make a smart ass comment to make it look like you know everything
Ultimate.Conj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 13:11   #1053
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

No smart ass comment at all , simply confirmed to him there are no UHD channels. Simple really.

I'm not arguing yeah right your last paragraph says otherwise , since when has it become a crime to deal in facts on a forum ?

Just because you know there's no UHD channels don't assume everyone does.

Last edited by muppetman11; 07-11-2016 at 13:15.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 14:27   #1054
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
No smart ass comment at all , simply confirmed to him there are no UHD channels. Simple really.

I'm not arguing yeah right your last paragraph says otherwise , since when has it become a crime to deal in facts on a forum ?

Just because you know there's no UHD channels don't assume everyone does.
Ok,ok...yes there are no UHD broadcast channels yet on Sky. But you realise that the word 'channel' has a wider meaning than you have interpreted here, right?

I do understand that confusion, so no criticism from me. However, you do assume that there will not ever be a Sky Cinema UHD or a Sky Sports UHD. I dare say there will be!

Last edited by OLD BOY; 07-11-2016 at 16:23.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 14:38   #1055
Kabaal
Haggis Hunting

Kabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of Quads

So if i'm reading this right the new box doesn't offer anything more in the way of 4K content than an Amazon Fire TV 4K does? I really hope they have scrapped the idea of having a monthly cost then as it seems to me we'd be paying that fee (for the time being at least) solely for the privilege of running the UI at a decent speed instead of brokenly slow on the Tivo.
Kabaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 14:42   #1056
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
I would like it just for speed and the 6 tuners.
Agreed, until I get a 4K TV, that's all i'll be using my new box for anyway.

Had a phone call this morning and i'm pleased to say that VM have been very accommodating in all areas.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 14:43   #1057
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabaal View Post
So if i'm reading this right the new box doesn't offer anything more in the way of 4K content than an Amazon Fire TV 4K does? I really hope they have scrapped the idea of having a monthly cost then as it seems to me we'd be paying that fee (for the time being at least) solely for the privilege of running the UI at a decent speed instead of brokenly slow on the Tivo.
Presumably it will offer the ability for live 4K TV when channels are launched and VM signs contracts with them. Until then, it will be on-demand, maybe some exclusive content. Amazon does not offer live 4K content at the moment.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 14:44   #1058
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Ok,ok...yes there are no UHD broadcast channels yet on Sky. But you realise that the word 'channel' has a wider meaning than you have interpreted here, right?

I do understand that confusion, so no criticism from me. However, you do assume that there will not ever be a Sky Cinema UHD or a Sky Sports UHD. I dare say there will bd!
Who knows what the future holds channel wise , I never for one minute thought there would be criticism , I guess someone just got out of the wrong side of the bed this morning.

UHD is very costly to broadcast hence why early doors it's On Demand and selected football.

Last edited by muppetman11; 07-11-2016 at 14:48.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 14:51   #1059
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Who knows what the future holds channel wise , I never for one minute thought there would be criticism , I guess someone just got out of the wrong side of the bed this morning.

UHD is very costly to broadcast hence why early doors it's On Demand and selected football.
Was reading about this yesterday and the general consensus was that the most efficient way to broadcast UHD is via IPTV anyway.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 14:55   #1060
Ultimate.Conj
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Oomph 600mb, XL TV, Sky Movies & Sports HD, Amazon Prime, Netflix UHD
Ultimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

Yeah I read that in an article somewhere too. Don't think we'll see too many UHD channels just yet
Ultimate.Conj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 14:57   #1061
Gavin-D
cf.mega poster

Gavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Has your TV got Amazon? I suspect that Virgin Movies will offer 4K content too making four sources in total, maybe some commissioned content will be announced making five.
It has indeed it's a Samsung curved 4K TV so it has all the latest apps

Netflix, Youtube, BBC iplayer, 5OD etc
Gavin-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 15:11   #1062
kingdaveontour
Inactive

kingdaveontour is an unknown quantity at this point

http://mediaboyblog.blogspot.co.uk/2...to-launch.html
kingdaveontour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 16:30   #1063
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
There will be UHD material on Netflix as well. I would imagine that more and more UHD will be available on demand before much longer.

---------- Post added at 15:30 ---------- Previous post was at 15:28 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Presumably it will offer the ability for live 4K TV when channels are launched and VM signs contracts with them. Until then, it will be on-demand, maybe some exclusive content. Amazon does not offer live 4K content at the moment.
I am sure that Amazon will be following Netflix's lead in the very near future.
Old 07-11-2016, 17:05   #1064
Kabaal
Haggis Hunting

Kabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
There will be UHD material on Netflix as well. I would imagine that more and more UHD will be available on demand before much longer.
I can already get 4K Netflix on my Amazon Fire TV, it's just an app that most of us already have on other devices. That was exactly my point, it's not adding anything in the way of 4K that we can't already get on a £70 box so until some indeterminate point in the future when 4K channels eventually appear any monthly fee will essentially just be for a faster Tivo UI and 2 extra tuners. It will be nice to have but not monthly fee nice to have.
Kabaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 17:23   #1065
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
I can already get 4K Netflix on my Amazon Fire TV, it's just an app that most of us already have on other devices. That was exactly my point, it's not adding anything in the way of 4K that we can't already get on a £70 box so until some indeterminate point in the future when 4K channels eventually appear any monthly fee will essentially just be for a faster Tivo UI and 2 extra tuners. It will be nice to have but not monthly fee nice to have.
Kabaal, you are forgetting that most do not have additional gadgets enabling them to watch Amazon and other streaming services on their TVs.

However, whether they do or not, this enables you to watch all these on demand services from one box. If Virgin add a good quantity of streaming services on their new V6, the need for all these boxes to get maximum TV choice will be unnecessary.

Not only do multiple boxes clutter up your lounge but it can work out quite expensive.