Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Old 22-08-2016, 22:27   #361
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
Re: Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by telegramsam View Post
Yeah now when you factor in line rental it can become expensive. It's time line rental was scrapped or at least reduced to a more realistic price. I know you can get broadband without a phone line from virgin but st a higher cost (not sure how much more). Also seen an advert for vodaphone broadband without a phone line but no idea what that costs but I'll bet it's not cheap?
That's not going to happen. Post-Brexit voite, Theresa May does not want companies so tightly regulated. Vodafone's prices do look competitive, scroll down this page to view its comparisons, https://www.vodafone.co.uk/broadband
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-08-2016, 22:35   #362
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Yeah now when you factor in line rental it can become expensive. It's time line rental was scrapped or at least reduced to a more realistic price. I know you can get broadband without a phone line from virgin but st a higher cost (not sure how much more). Also seen an advert for vodaphone broadband without a phone line but no idea what that costs but I'll bet it's not cheap?
Vodafone's BB offer still actually includes a phone line, its if you take Fibre they absorb the cost of the rental. You can still use the line as normal. £22 for ADSL inc rental or Fibre up to 38Mbps @ £22 for existing or £25 for non existing customers. Or £28 for Up to 76Mbps.

They are also launching a TV service soon. So will have proper quadplay on a single bill!
Old 22-08-2016, 22:36   #363
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
In one sense that's about to happen as new advertising rules kick-in in November which say that broadband providers must show one clear price including the line rental. Of course the cost of the line rental will still be there, but it should be easier to compare packages across multiple providers.
Old 22-08-2016, 22:55   #364
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by veeemmm View Post
Now I'm getting constant C501 errors. Haven't had that for a while. Can't even clear down any more recordings before it goes in the box... And now it has rebooted itself. And yes, I have had plenty of "engineer visits" over the years telling me "yep, thats normal mate. yep they do that mate.", before someone says "there must be something wrong with your box"

You poor soul! I've never had any real issues with Virgin, and imo they provide a very good service indeed, ok, you get the odd problem with VOD, but, on the whole i find their service really good, especially the BB.
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2016, 23:12   #365
veeemmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
You poor soul! I've never had any real issues with Virgin, and imo they provide a very good service indeed, ok, you get the odd problem with VOD, but, on the whole i find their service really good, especially the BB.
Lots of complaints on the "community" page and other forums. Seems to be nationwide although evidently not everyone if you are not getting it. Now been updated to not be fixed before tomorrow AFTERNOON. Tivo is practically unusable, cannot access most screens including myshows and planned recordings. VOD never really worked in my area.

I found more and more bugs with Series Links+. I had recordings fail due to conflicts with programs which were not even scheduled to record because the conflicts were "NOT NEW". I will add that their might be other criteria involved as I know some people will say "well it works fine for me". That is just one small example. I just think it is a shame VM were not prepared to listen to feedback and provide a proper help desk for bugs. The community forum COULD have been a good resource for them but by their own admission the TV business was neglected for too long. I cannot see the new box being any better, hence why I'm out.
Old 22-08-2016, 23:51   #366
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

I have to agree that it's been one thing after another with the TiVo since I got it last March.

Just before this the engineer who came to replace my V+ box actually advised me to wait until the new TiVo box came out after I told him I was thinking of upgrading!!!

I wish I'd have listened to him.

I was going to try to get out of my contract under the "not fit for purpose" rule, but things have been made easier with the forthcoming November price rise.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2016, 06:16   #367
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

It is for for purpose. Its just not brilliant at its job.

When TiVo first came out on VM it went through a huge test and trial phase for well over a year. Alpha then beta and then expanded trials.

With the alpha and beta there was weekly software drops and occasionally more than once a week. It was very thorough.

I know as I was part of it all when I worked for VM. Am sure this new box will have had the same done.

I've never really had an issue with my TiVo being slow or unresponsive. I am not waiting for the new box though. The price rises had made me leave and Sky Q and Sky fibre and getting installed next month.
Old 25-08-2016, 14:52   #368
bolgerp
cf.member

bolgerp is an unknown quantity at this point

So.... I just got off the phone with VM customer service as I was enquiring about canceling the TV portion of my bundle. The CS representative said the new box was coming "in a month or two". When I challenged her that I had heard (from here, admittedly) that it wasn't coming until late this year or early next year, she said that they are being told internally that it's coming in the next month or two.

She also said it is a vast improvement on the existing TiVo... she is currently using the new one and previously had the TiVo.

Still isn't convincing me to retain my contact though... after I have done my sums I can retain VM BB and Phone and get Sky Q 2TB box with 1 mini box, their Box Set Bundle and multiroom for £20 more per month than I am currently paying VM. I will lose Sky Cinema for that price though but I am not too bothered about that. Plus there will be a one off £60 installation charge.
bolgerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 15:05   #369
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
It is for for purpose. Its just not brilliant at its job.

When TiVo first came out on VM it went through a huge test and trial phase for well over a year. Alpha then beta and then expanded trials.

With the alpha and beta there was weekly software drops and occasionally more than once a week. It was very thorough.

I know as I was part of it all when I worked for VM. Am sure this new box will have had the same done.

I've never really had an issue with my TiVo being slow or unresponsive. I am not waiting for the new box though. The price rises had made me leave and Sky Q and Sky fibre and getting installed next month.
I spoke to our solicitor about trying to get out of my contract under the 'Not fit for purpose' rule.

He said that as it works, but does it badly, that any case could go either way and to use the price rise instead if I could to break my contract.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 15:09   #370
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Indeed l echo the same sentiments as you MM.
Old 25-08-2016, 16:32   #371
alwaysabear
RIp Sweetness

Services: TiVo Full house sports bundle,Vivid 200, SHUB 3, talk more anytime.
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
I have to agree. Simply cannot beat the Broadband from VM imo.
alwaysabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 17:13   #372
veeemmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
I spoke to our solicitor about trying to get out of my contract under the 'Not fit for purpose' rule.

He said that as it works, but does it badly, that any case could go either way and to use the price rise instead if I could to break my contract.
You (and I ) are free to leave whenever they put the price up. i.e. now and all the other times they put the prices up in a typical year.

---------- Post added at 17:13 ---------- Previous post was at 17:06 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolgerp View Post
So.... I just got off the phone with VM customer service as I was enquiring about canceling the TV portion of my bundle. The CS representative said the new box was coming "in a month or two". When I challenged her that I had heard (from here, admittedly) that it wasn't coming until late this year or early next year, she said that they are being told internally that it's coming in the next month or two.

She also said it is a vast improvement on the existing TiVo... she is currently using the new one and previously had the TiVo.

Still isn't convincing me to retain my contact though... after I have done my sums I can retain VM BB and Phone and get Sky Q 2TB box with 1 mini box, their Box Set Bundle and multiroom for £20 more per month than I am currently paying VM. I will lose Sky Cinema for that price though but I am not too bothered about that. Plus there will be a one off £60 installation charge.
In whats ways? ("vast improvement") Isn't it supposed to be the same software we just got except maybe without the go slow switch? They said this latest update was supposed to be a major improvement too.
Old 25-08-2016, 20:00   #373
veeemmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysabear View Post
Funnily enough my broadband has been ok for a couple of weeks but I am in the process of determining whether to just get rid of VM Tv or the whole thing and today my Broadband has been up and down. Routers leds all fine but most webpages not loading. Just phoned in and told its an area fault and I might have no internet or very low speeds for another few weeks whilst they "work on it". Nothing showing on service status pages. Guess that makes the decision for me! Think he said something about 400 customers going through a cabinet designed for 120 but not sure if he was talking theoretical!

---------- Post added at 20:00 ---------- Previous post was at 19:47 ----------

Just out of curiosity on the Tivo Diagnostics screen, since the last update, there are 4 entries for AGC Signal Level. The first is currently 79% but the 3 others are all showing 0%. Is this normal? Also before the update I was getting lots of RS Uncorrected errors on certain channels but always zero RS Corrected. (Yes I have definitely got this the right way around, even though it seems to me like it should be the other way around). Since the update both (sets of) numbers are always 0. Any reasons for this?
Old 26-08-2016, 12:10   #374
bolgerp
cf.member

bolgerp is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by veeemmm View Post
You (and I ) are free to leave whenever they put the price up. i.e. now and all the other times they put the prices up in a typical year.

---------- Post added at 17:13 ---------- Previous post was at 17:06 ----------

In whats ways? ("vast improvement") Isn't it supposed to be the same software we just got except maybe without the go slow switch? They said this latest update was supposed to be a major improvement too.

I'm not sure.. she didn't go into details, I'm afraid...and I didn't really push her to be honest! Guess we'll have to wait and see... if I haven't defected back to Sky by then.
bolgerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2016, 17:44   #375
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysabear View Post
I'd say that really is area dependant , when I was last with VM my then 30mb connection was usually around 1-2mb during peak I also have family who live near that left for the exact same reason. In all my years of being on ADSL/VDSL I can count on one hand the amount of days it was down sadly the same can't be said for my shorter time with VM.

When it's working and you are in an area that has little or no oversubscription I agree it can't be beat.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote