Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | having problems setting up belkin wireless g router.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking

having problems setting up belkin wireless g router.

Old 28-06-2006, 12:21   #16
Lee Coby
Inactive

Lee Coby is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: having problems setting up belkin wireless g router.

Ill try a few more things tonight to try and sort it.....if it still dont work sod it its going back.. to be excanged for the lynksys router...lol

And i thought this router business was stright forward..

Cheers for the advice

Lee
Lee Coby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-06-2006, 14:22   #17
Lee Coby
Inactive

Hey,

ok ive been home and tried moving the the phone away fromt the router but with no luck...also i think i might of screwed things up with the router becouse i clicked the clone mac address button in the router settings....lol thats what i get for messing about with things..nevermind.

think im gonna have to jst get the lynksys router instead...pain in the **** it is..lol

Lee
Old 28-06-2006, 16:29   #18
etccarmageddon
Inactive

etccarmageddon has a nice shiny star
etccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny star

another thing I found with it was that if you powered the belkin off and then back on, I had awful problems getting it to work again. it was as if it'd lost some settings.
etccarmageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2006, 09:50   #19
Lee Coby
Inactive

Yeah i had that problem at first with the other wireless adapter (the one that was completly the wrong model)
But i have an update for ya...lol

Went back to dixons with the belkin package...and it turns out that they gave me the wrong usb adaptor..they gave me the g adaptor instead of the g+ thats the reason it wasnt picking up the downstairs computer. and they had the cheek to ask for an extra £10 )..lol so after a few mins arguieng with the guy i pay it.

Ok the story continues..lol i get the thing home, set the wireless router up again then set up the upsatairs computer and then plug in the usb adapter with no probs

Then everything works fine and perfect excellent signal..ok i restart my computer it loads into windows xp i hear a funny little noise like somethings shorting out. i only find out that the wireless usb adapter is not a recognised usb device and is damaged..but it also took out my dvd writer which says the same thing which im a bit ****ed about.

I think ill be paying another visit to Curry Digital..Formaly know as Dixons again today to get a replacement Its unbelievable. this will be my 4th visit...not impressed. i should have just got the linksys router instead.

Lee
Old 05-07-2006, 22:20   #20
sjb2
Inactive

sjb2 is an unknown quantity at this point

I might be a bit late on this thread, but I back the "get rid of belkin router and get a linksys or netgear" advice you've been given. My belkin was also losing connectivity and power lights regularly, and I mean regularly.

I got the same advice here 2 or 3 weeks ago, traded in and got netgear router instead and it has been beautiful since - even survived a mini-powercut during last night's thunder storm!

By the way I kept the belkin usb adapter and have no problems with that.
sjb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 09:44   #21
Lee Coby
Inactive

Hi there sjb2 its never too late for a relply...lol

But to be honest ever since ive changed it over for the right usb adaptor its been working perfect which for belkin is excellent i know but i havent had any probs or weak signal probs whatsoever so i think im either lucky or belkin have pulled there finger out of there arses at last...lol

Lee
Old 08-11-2006, 10:52   #22
mister_e
Inactive

mister_e is an unknown quantity at this point

Just thought I would post my experience with my Belkin Mimo Router, connecting to Telewest through the Motorola Cable Modem. It might help others.

I did have a problem setting the Router up. I could connect to the Router physically with the Ethernet cable and wirelessly. However, running through the Set-Up Wizard, it would never detect the Internet. I could see the Internet traffic LED blinking away on both the Modem and the Router, but the Wizard failed, and informed me that my Router had a problem.

Connecting my PC to the Cable Modem directly, I could connect to the Internet without problems. So, I ran a command prompt up and noted down the connection settings when my PC was connected to the router (ie. from the RUN... option from the start bar, start a the CMD program. From here type IPCONFIG /all).

Noting the DNS and Gateway IP numbers, I physically connected to my router and navigted to the management page (192.168.2.1 in Internet Explorer). Setting the Connection Type to Dynamic, and then manually configuring the DNS and Gateway IP addresses, saved and the Router restarted. Connected up the Router to the modem and hey presto, no need for the Set-Up wizard. It works, and has done fine ever since. I get good connectivity from all over my stoned walled Victorian hoose!

P.S. Remember to add encryption to the Router config through the management page - Security tab.

E.
mister_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 12:35   #23
janipewter
Inactive

Services: Sky HD Multiroom, VM XL Phone, VM XXL BB
janipewter is just really nicejanipewter is just really nicejanipewter is just really nicejanipewter is just really nicejanipewter is just really nicejanipewter is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to janipewter

After changing the modem over from your PC to the Router, did you power cycle it? (the modem)

It needs to detect the new MAC address and register it, and then the router needs to be restarted and it will detect the Internet connection automatically.
janipewter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 12:50   #24
Luappy13
Inactive

Luappy13 is an unknown quantity at this point

ERR... I WENT TO POST TO THE GUY BELOW BUT IT POSTED IN HERE... ERR O WELL

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyyo View Post
my belkin router is connected wirlessely to my laptop and via an ethernet cable to my desktop computer, it now works, but there is a problem of regular disconnection which is resolved by unplugging the power cable to the router/ and repluging back in....

does anyone know how i can stop these problems.
There are a few possible causes for disconnection on routers like this (and I am presuming you have all the correct drivers on your system for your ethernet cards):

a) Overheating (rarely a problem but a possibility)

b) Incorrect MTU settings leading to router lock/ISP disconnection (probably due to lots of fragmented packets being seen as a flood.

Fix:

Set your routers MTU (in the config pages) and ethernet (using DRTCP) to correct MTU.

To know what the correct MTU is u should use the following command line

Start > run > ping -l [value] -f www.google.com

where [value] is the packet size.

I have an MTU of 1456 so if I use the above command with 1457 [value] I get a "Packet needs to be fragmented but DF set." letting me know that 1456 is correct

ping -l 1456 -f www.google.com

c) Firmware upgrade required on the router - see manufacturers site.

d) PPP Session Limits, TCP and UDP Idle timeout values being incorrect - fix... Telnet into the box and set correct values using CLI interface - You'll have to see if you can work out how to set them or find documentation on the web.

I reckon b and c are the first ones to try (in that order) but if all else fails d is going to be the only other thing you can do.

**and I know I said it at the top but make sure you have up to date ethernet card drivers :P
Luappy13 is offline   Reply With Quote