Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | address from a phone number

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Fixed Phone Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin answer machine

Old 22-01-2009, 16:51   #1
Wolfeymole
Inactive

Wolfeymole is an unknown quantity at this point
Virgin answer machine

Sorry if this has been asked before but how the hell do I stop the Virgin answering machine kicking in after a given number of rings?

I have my own personal answering machine and want to use that rather than ringing 1571 and have some wench in my ear saying You have new messages.

Thanks for any help offered.
Wolfeymole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-01-2009, 16:57   #2
moaningmags
Inactive

Services: 20mb, Tv, Phone
moaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze array
moaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze array
Re: Virgin answer machine

Call VM and ask that they remove voicemail from your services.
moaningmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2009, 17:07   #3
Wolfeymole
Inactive

Wolfeymole is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for reply Mags and I have just done that very thing and they said it will take up to 24 hours which I can live with and although the idea may be a good one to Virgin I think it's a bit of a liberty.

Once again thank you for you help.
Wolfeymole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2009, 17:18   #4
moaningmags
Inactive

Services: 20mb, Tv, Phone
moaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze array
moaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze array

Glad you're sorted
moaningmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2009, 23:48   #5
Mr_Moo
Inactive

Mr_Moo is on a distinguished roadMr_Moo is on a distinguished road

Alternatively you could have the amount of seconds changed on the switch (exchange) by calling customers services as a 'change request', therefore letting the phone ring longer.

3 seconds = 1 ring.

And you could have 'message waiting tone' so all you would need to do is lift the handset when you got home and if the dial tone was stuttered, then you have a message waiting. No messing around with 1571...
Mr_Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2009, 15:44   #6
m419
Inactive

Services: BT Broadband,BT Anytime calls,Sky entertainment extra HD,Vodafone pay monthly
m419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quads

No point having it if you are using your own personal answering machine, when your on the phone you can switch on Call Waiting for that.
m419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2009, 08:58   #7
Pushkar
Inactive

Pushkar is just really nicePushkar is just really nicePushkar is just really nicePushkar is just really nicePushkar is just really nicePushkar is just really nice

I have a built in answering machine, so if I tell Virgin to cancel my voicemail service, will it still go through to my machine (and not 1471)
Pushkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2009, 09:05   #8
southwell
Inactive

Services: Sky HD Virgin Phone + 50mb
southwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation era

I called VM to cancel my voicemail service and it now goes through my own answering machine.
southwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2009, 09:06   #9
Mr_Moo
Inactive

You don't necessarily need to cancel the voicemail itself, although it does cost you £1 or so a month I do believe.

You just need to remove the divert that sends it to VM after 4 rings. Depending what area you live in, this would differ.
Old 20-02-2009, 09:41   #10
hansi
cf.geek

hansi is on a distinguished roadhansi is on a distinguished road

I have a similar question, except that I have free voicemail which I want to cancel, as I am buying a cordless phone with an answering machine. Do I just ring VM to cancel it?
hansi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2009, 17:10   #11
Mr_Moo
Inactive

Yep. Just call customer services.

Standardly residential lines don't get 'free' VM. So I would ring to cancel it just to be safe. I know if you have a single line on the business side and wish to have VM, this costs £1.50 or so a month.
Old 25-02-2009, 15:00   #12
indie1982
Inactive

Services: M Phone, XL BB, XL TV and 2 SA V+
indie1982 will become famous soon enoughindie1982 will become famous soon enoughindie1982 will become famous soon enough

Standard Voicemail is free, Voicemail Plus which lets you set a greeting is £1.75 a month.
indie1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2009, 18:00   #13
Mr_Moo
Inactive

If that's the case then, ask them to make the diverts inactive.
Old 01-02-2010, 10:24   #14
Alan50
Inactive

Alan50 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfeymole View Post
Sorry if this has been asked before but how the hell do I stop the Virgin answering machine kicking in after a given number of rings?

I have my own personal answering machine and want to use that rather than ringing 1571 and have some wench in my ear saying You have new messages.

Thanks for any help offered.
Hi, I have had a similar problem. Virgin media disabled my voicemail as they said it conflicted with my answerphone, but the answerphone still will not work with virgin phoneline. I adjusted number of rings settings 3, 5, 7 all to no avail. As I also have another phone [philips] of exactly the same type and a working BT line in addition to the virgin line, I have swapped them over to check and the answerphone works fine on BT. On virgin the caller gets a continuous silence instead of the answerphone message. So seems that virgin equipment is not recognising the answerphone's 'answer'. So have requested VM to reinstigate voicemail and I will have to dispense with my answerphone built into my Philips phone. Virgin Customer service are adamant that it is my equipment at fault, but if so, then why does it work on BT just fine?
Alan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 10:32   #15
hansi
cf.geek

hansi is on a distinguished roadhansi is on a distinguished road

I have two cordless handsets with built-in answering machine on a VM line and they work fine. I just asked VM to cancel my free voicemail.
hansi is offline   Reply With Quote