Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Media Access Key

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Tivo troubles

Old 27-08-2012, 16:54   #1
chunkymonkey
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media TV XL and Phone Size M and Broadband size L V+HD and VHD
chunkymonkey is a jewel in the roughchunkymonkey is a jewel in the roughchunkymonkey is a jewel in the roughchunkymonkey is a jewel in the roughchunkymonkey is a jewel in the rough
Tivo troubles

Had TiVo now for a while, my parents can't get on with it! I've got a tech coming on Wednesday as have signal issues with On Demand. Would I be charged if he took out the TiVo and put a V+ back in?
chunkymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 27-08-2012, 18:20   #2
andy_m
cf.mega poster

Services: VIP
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
Re: Tivo troubles

They won't charge you. But they won't do it either. V+ is discontinued except for swap outs.
andy_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2012, 18:29   #3
MalteseFalcon
cf.mega poster

MalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronze
MalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronze
Send a message via AIM to MalteseFalcon

Although if the engineer has some old stock in his van you might, MIGHT, get a V+ box installed again. I was told that the V+ was out of stock, but when he came to install TiVo he put a V+ box in the second room as he had one in the van.
MalteseFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2012, 20:44   #4
chunkymonkey
Inactive

chunkymonkey is a jewel in the roughchunkymonkey is a jewel in the roughchunkymonkey is a jewel in the roughchunkymonkey is a jewel in the roughchunkymonkey is a jewel in the rough

I'm in contact with someone at head office who has authorised my account to have a V+ added instead of a TiVo. Also, will it affect my contract?
Old 27-08-2012, 20:48   #5
andy_m
cf.mega poster

andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array

Oh good effort! In that case I guess you'll need to ask your contact.
Old 27-08-2012, 20:50   #6
chunkymonkey
Inactive

Ill give him a call and ask tomorrow. V+ was so much user friendly. TiVo is awful at recording In my opinion, programmes getting clipped etc. the only thing which is good is the hard drive space. I don't use suggestions or any other features. Also it looks a bit nicer than the v+ menus.
Old 27-08-2012, 20:55   #7
andy_m
cf.mega poster

You can turn clipping off though.
Old 27-08-2012, 20:56   #8
MalteseFalcon
cf.mega poster

MalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronze
MalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronze

This is another classic case of if the TiVo box is set-up correctly, it can be an excellent piece of technology.
Old 27-08-2012, 21:08   #9
chunkymonkey
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkC1984 View Post
This is another classic case of if the TiVo box is set-up correctly, it can be an excellent piece of technology.
I've had it for over a year now. None of the features are much use to me accept the hard drive space. I've turned clipping on and off, still messes up. For example last night I had this -

19:58 - 21:03 BBC1 recording
19:58 - 21:03 ITV1 recording
20:58 - 22:03 BBC2 recording

the v + would have just clipped automatically and all 3 recorded without trouble. On TiVo I get a message when the 3rd programme is starting to record saying that I have to change to one of the channels for it to record. Very annoying, also if clipping is on, it clips the start of the 3rd recording, not the end.
Old 28-08-2012, 03:48   #10
dwarfofpoison
cf.addict

dwarfofpoison is a glorious beacon of lightdwarfofpoison is a glorious beacon of lightdwarfofpoison is a glorious beacon of lightdwarfofpoison is a glorious beacon of lightdwarfofpoison is a glorious beacon of lightdwarfofpoison is a glorious beacon of lightdwarfofpoison is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunkymonkey View Post
19:58 - 21:03 BBC1 recording
19:58 - 21:03 ITV1 recording
20:58 - 22:03 BBC2 recording

the v + would have just clipped automatically and all 3 recorded without trouble. On TiVo I get a message when the 3rd programme is starting to record saying that I have to change to one of the channels for it to record. Very annoying, also if clipping is on, it clips the start of the 3rd recording, not the end.
Just having a little trouble understanding your example, every program you show would have recorded in full on TiVo regardless of whether overlap protection is on or off. However on the V+ it would have to clip two of your programs as it drops the padding from the end of one and the start of the third recording.

Your example makes it a no brainer, 3 full recordings on TiVo or 1 full and 2 clipped recordings on V+!
dwarfofpoison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2012, 07:34   #11
andy_m
cf.mega poster

I think the issue is that TiVo doesn't dedicate a tuner to live TV meaning that in the example given all the tuners were in use whereas v+ would have allowed you to carry on without asking to change channels. Of course, as you rightly point out, the benefit is that TiVo actually does the job its supposed to do ie. deliver three full recordings, whereas v+ would have clipped two of them.
Old 28-08-2012, 11:34   #12
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

V+ automatically droped padding if a recording channel change was required so you didn"t get the situation that you get with tivo, where a tuner is sometimes taken up just because of padding.

In practice i found with V+, that the although it droped padding, because only a small percentage of shows actually need padding, combined with the fact that only a percentage tuner/recording/channel allocations needed padding to be droped, everything worked really well with my default 5 min before and 10 min after default padding.

Because of the way Tivo handles padding, my defaults are zero and I add a little padding to only a very few specific shows. And again, it works really well. But I prefer the V+ method and think that padding is one area where V+ is better than Tivo.
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2012, 12:20   #13
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunkymonkey View Post
On TiVo I get a message when the 3rd programme is starting to record saying that I have to change to one of the channels for it to record. Very annoying...
I don't often have three things recording but I don't usually see that message when I do.

I have a theory that you will only see that message if you have watched #live tv' on that third tuner within the last... I don't know... 30 mins or so. So it's really just a 'safety' feature.

That said, I have three things set to record tonight at 9pm so I'll let you know what happens. (And I'll try to to go to 'live tv' within the preceding hour.)
carlwaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2012, 12:41   #14
MalteseFalcon
cf.mega poster

YES! YES! YES! Welcome back Carl, nice to see you back here.
Old 28-08-2012, 12:41   #15
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlwaring View Post
I have a theory that you will only see that message if you have watched #live tv' on that third tuner within the last... I don't know... 30 mins or so. So it's really just a 'safety' feature.
Your theory is correct. If there has been any activity on a tuner recently, it assumes you are using it. I think the timeout is an hour.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote