Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Media Access Key

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Media Access Key

Old 19-04-2011, 00:59   #1
Dan20
Inactive

Services: VIP50, Tivo, Virginmobile
Dan20 is an unknown quantity at this point
Media Access Key

I noticed today that a media access key has now been listed in my box. I wasn't expecting this as I haven't seen anything about VM allowing download and upload of progs to a computer (but it will be a great feature if they do). I tried to connect via the IP address but only get a could not connect message from the browser.

Does anyone have any insight on this feature? Will it work in the UK in time?
Dan20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-04-2011, 01:49   #2
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Re: Media Access Key

I believe the Media Access Key is used as you describe. However, the video is not accessible via the web. You need a package called "Tivo Desktop Plus" to be able to download your videos. http://www.tivo.com/products/tivo-software/index.html

That is, of course, VM either get (or don't need) permission from the TV providers for this, and are willing to offer all the features of Tivo.

I believe they have said they are looking to offer all the features of Tivo, but have not indicated a timescale.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2011, 12:00   #3
windy
Inactive

Services: XL TV/XL BB(60) /PHONE/ M..TIVO/FREEVIEW HD Samsung Galaxy s3
windy is a glorious beacon of lightwindy is a glorious beacon of lightwindy is a glorious beacon of lightwindy is a glorious beacon of lightwindy is a glorious beacon of lightwindy is a glorious beacon of lightwindy is a glorious beacon of light

Which you cant use in england.
windy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2011, 12:23   #4
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

I am sure you will be able to if and when Virgin sort out access..
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2011, 16:16   #5
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
I am sure you will be able to if and when Virgin sort out access..
Can't see all VM channel providers allowing TIVO users to transfer content to PC etc , especially Sky content.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2011, 17:11   #6
Lew
Inactive

Services: VIP50, TiVo
Lew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze array
Lew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze array

On the US TiVo individual programmes can be flagged as protected so that they can't be transferred so it's possible that they could enable the feature for some channels/programmes.
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2011, 18:11   #7
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew View Post
On the US TiVo individual programmes can be flagged as protected so that they can't be transferred so it's possible that they could enable the feature for some channels/programmes.
Yeah possible then.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2011, 18:22   #8
devilincarnate
Still REIGNING

devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star
devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Can't see all VM channel providers allowing TIVO users to transfer content to PC etc , especially Sky content.
Yes this is true as they would want another subscription for this ( well on other platforms )
devilincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2011, 20:14   #9
AndyCambs
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media XL Broadband XL Virgin Mobile V+ installed! and a happy Virgin Media customer
AndyCambs has reached the bronze age
AndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze age

Anybody tried the Tivo Desktop software?
AndyCambs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2011, 21:30   #10
zantarous
www.magicorptech.blogspot

Services: V.I.P
zantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful one

Isn't the media key also used to let Tivos stream data to other Tivos in the household?
zantarous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2011, 21:59   #11
mkdr25
Inactive

mkdr25 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilincarnate View Post
Yes this is true as they would want another subscription for this ( well on other platforms )
it really will be a cold day in hell before I pay again for that privilege.

Would be interested to hear if anyone has tried Tivo Desktop plus yet to. I'm sure it wont work but hey.
mkdr25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2011, 22:02   #12
devilincarnate
Still REIGNING

devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star
devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkdr25 View Post
it really will be a cold day in hell before I pay again for that privilege.
I can say that it is a cold day in hell at the moment due to the cut-backs, As i saw my boss on ice skates this morning
devilincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2011, 22:13   #13
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

I have to say that streaming isn't that important to me personally, but I would love to be able to use this to access my Tivo along the lines of TivoWeb for the original Series1 units.

TivoWeb basically allowed you to access your Tivo over the internet to do things like: set up one-off recordings and Series Links; re-order series links; set up and perform searches and wishlists, etc.
carlwaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2011, 22:25   #14
Dan20
Inactive

Services: VIP50, Tivo, Virginmobile
Dan20 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyCambs View Post
Anybody tried the Tivo Desktop software?
Yes, I had a look at the basic free software before my original posting. It is set up to work with Tivo's in the US, Australia, Canada and New Zealand. Nothing doing for the UK.

In fact if the service is enabled this additional software is not required, it just gives an easier, richer interface. There is a web server inside the Tivo that you can in theory access via its IP address. If you get that far (I didn't) you can then put in your username, I think this is always Tivo and a password. The password is the media access key.

One thing I am not sure about is that in the US the Tivo is connected to your home network so it will be sitting in the same IP range as your local computers - you know, something like 192.168.1.10 say but for VM it is quite separate and does not touch the home network but picks up a wan type address so it is going to be intrinsically more difficult to connect though I see there is also an address of a DNS server. As I don't know much about networks I'm not sure what the technique will be to make the connection so that someting other than a 'not found' message is returned in the browser. Over to more knowledgeable folk...
Dan20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2011, 23:19   #15
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan20 View Post
One thing I am not sure about is that in the US the Tivo is connected to your home network
Well the UK Tivo does have standard network socket on the back, so you never know
carlwaring is offline   Reply With Quote