Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 'Yellow Ring Of Death'

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Gaming Discussion > Sony Games Systems

'Yellow Ring Of Death'

Old 21-09-2009, 20:52   #1
NEONKNIGHT

Exclamation 'Yellow Ring Of Death'

Interesting to see the report on Watchdog regarding what has been dubbed the 'Yellow Ring Of Death' by PS3 owners.

More news here;-http://www.computerandvideogames.com...rce=newsletter

I wonder how many PS3 owners here on CF have had the fault, or actually knew of this?
Advertisement
Old 21-09-2009, 20:56   #2
zing_deleted

Re: 'Yellow Ring Of Death'

from reading it it does look to me like an inherent fault specially if sony have in place units which in theor own words costs tens of thousands of pounds. It looks t me like a cop out from Sony
Old 21-09-2009, 20:58   #3
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Perhaps it was a dark secret that Sony wanted hidden.
h funniest thing I thought was that Sony only do a 1 year warrenty whise MS 3 years.

Thank good I have the latter.
Old 21-09-2009, 20:59   #4
zing_deleted

didnt MS only initiate the 3 years because of the Red Ring of Death?
Old 21-09-2009, 21:00   #5
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

I very much doubt that these boards are hand soldered, so I guess that they need to look at there wave solder machines.
Old 21-09-2009, 21:01   #6
NEONKNIGHT

Arrow Re: 'Yellow Ring Of Death'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
h funniest thing I thought was that Sony only do a 1 year warrenty whise MS 3 years.

I think Microsoft have done the decent thing regarding the problem with their console, would be nice to see Sony following their lead.
Old 21-09-2009, 21:28   #7
hedgie
cf.geek

Services: Phone, 360 + two mini boxes, Hub 5.
hedgie is a glorious beacon of lighthedgie is a glorious beacon of lighthedgie is a glorious beacon of lighthedgie is a glorious beacon of lighthedgie is a glorious beacon of lighthedgie is a glorious beacon of lighthedgie is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEONKNIGHT View Post
I think Microsoft have done the decent thing regarding the problem with their console, would be nice to see Sony following their lead.
Well over two years old with no purchase receipt, yet MS sorted out my xbox360 no problem at all. The entire return & repair process was painless and sorted in just about a week.
hedgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2009, 21:38   #8
icestar2
Inactive

Services: Phone, HDTV, 30MB BB, Tivo
icestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appeal
icestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appeal

I had heard of it before as I stroll the EU Playstation forums alot. It's nowere near as bad as was made out. Its also nowere near as big a problem as was with the 360. M$ were almost forced into the 3year policy to save face after the amount of bad press they were getting. Will be intresting to see if the same happen's with Sony though I highly doubt it. If anything Sony are stubben thats for sure. I also think it will just fade into history tbh.

The thing that gets me is why this report comes right after the launch of the PS3 Slim. Hmmmmm coincidence ? Intresting.

Also I know this has no bearing at all really but my First 360 broke down just after the 1 year warrenty ran out. Yes it was back then before the 3 year warrenty was in place. I now have a second with fingers crossed it lasts. I also have the original PS3 60GB and have never had a problem with it. Bias ? maybe a little as I do pre-fair my PS3 slightly more(Still have 360 love though lol) but my personal experience upto now is what mostly forms my judgement.
icestar2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2009, 22:06   #9
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post

Sony's 1 year manufacturer's warranty is in line with the industry standard.

Microsoft only give you a three year warranty for the Red Ring of Death & E74, all other faults have a standard one year warranty.

...And MS only brought in the 3 year RROD warranty because of it being so widespread, & so widely reported. They had to do it because of all the bad press. And it cost them lots & lots of money to do so.

Although the PS3 can suffer from the Yellow Light of Death (YLOD), the failure rate of the PS3 is still lower than that of the 360, and Sony have not had anywhere near the same level of bad press for this as MS have had for the RROD.

It's a pity the Watchdog segment on this was not particularly good...

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/35817/Watc...ent-falls-flat

Quote:
Originally Posted by zing View Post
didnt MS only initiate the 3 years because of the Red Ring of Death?
Yep. And it is only the RROD & E74 that is covered by the three year warranty. Everything else is still 1 year.
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2009, 16:29   #10
icestar2
Inactive

Services: Phone, HDTV, 30MB BB, Tivo
icestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appeal
icestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appeal

Well, Well, Well the plot thickens -

Quote:
Following BBC show Watchdog’s somewhat farcical attack on PS3 last week, one of the consumers that starred in the segment has come out and claimed that he was encouraged to exaggerate the problems his console had suffered.

When asked by TheSixthAxis whether the BBC had told him to embellish the story of how his PS3 malfunctioned, the anonymous respondent claimed: “Categorically, yes.”
http://www.mcvuk.com/news/35854/Watc...f-exaggeration
icestar2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2009, 16:33   #11
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Oops
Old 22-09-2009, 17:08   #12
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Watchdog has always been dodgy and unfair to be honest. This is nothing new. It is a program designed to pray on peoples sense of injustice and feeds on it.
Damien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2009, 17:11   #13
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Anne Robinson and audience certainly doesn't help matters
Old 28-09-2009, 22:21   #14
ThunderPants73
cf.mega poster

Services: BB & PHONE
ThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond repute

I think the new series is dumbed down and clutching at straws, and they should get rid of the ****s on the motor bike.

---------- Post added at 21:21 ---------- Previous post was at 21:20 ----------

**** is a swear word? Oh my....
ThunderPants73 is offline   Reply With Quote