Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Upstream congestion

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Upstream congestion

Old 10-12-2017, 19:20   #16
Jon22
cf.addict

Jon22 is on a distinguished roadJon22 is on a distinguished road
Re: Upstream congestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by telfordcable View Post
I just don't understand why can't VM selling static ip address for residential customer as well as a one off payment just like Plusnet did. Because of CCTV need static IP Address.
Tbf, the IP address on Virgin rarely changes. But yeah, would be nice to have the option.
Jon22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-12-2017, 05:01   #17
kalleh
cf.addict

kalleh is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon22 View Post
I did consider it, actually had an order placed with PlusNet but cancelled it. Would of had to pay probably £200 to get out of contract with Virgin and even then, the BT master socket is in the wrong place and would ideally require moving. Otherwise I would of been relying on wifi for everything as there is no easy to way to run ethernet to where I would want it. Powerline was no good, connection was intermittent at best going from the nearest socket to a socket upstairs.

My suggestion would to take your congestion issues up with the CEO office if it continues for longer to at minimum free you from your contract. If you go with a FTTC you can request a move of the master socket which would cost £99 I believe (Or if they are charging you the fee for the new line and an engineer is attending he might move it no issues.)

Depends how reliant on latency and peering you are plusnet were actually really good for me 14ms latency 0 jitter but when it came to 7-12pm on a nightly basis i'd lose half my speed on download and the ping would be worse. Seemed to be a BTWholesale issue at the exchange.

I've moved to IDNet who are switching me over to the TTB Network which will sort out those issues.

Just for a little advice as far as congestion goes.. I have vm business also my other line 350mb regularly until recently when 24 downstreams(from 16) were added i was getting drops in peak times on download to around 180-220. I was told this was to be 'accepted' and this is from business support.

Can only imagine from VM residential aslong as your download is fine they are gonna literally do nothing till they get X amount of complaints from customers in your area.
kalleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 14:21   #18
Jon22
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalleh View Post
My suggestion would to take your congestion issues up with the CEO office if it continues for longer
I do have a complaint open with CEO office. I've only received an acknowledgement email with a reference number. Nothing since. This was back at the start of November. Looks as though I'm going to have to send a letter via recorded delivery, to push things a long.

Quote:
Can only imagine from VM residential aslong as your download is fine they are gonna literally do nothing till they get X amount of complaints from customers in your area.
This is pretty much what is happening. The VM staff on their forum, who I have no issue with but seem to only be allowed to give out limited info, say that it can only be raised when it breaks a threshold. But they can't tell me what that threshold is. I'm guessing it's so embarrassingly high, that it would be damaging to VM if it was put on a public forum.
Old 11-12-2017, 21:41   #19
kalleh
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon22 View Post
I do have a complaint open with CEO office. I've only received an acknowledgement email with a reference number. Nothing since. This was back at the start of November. Looks as though I'm going to have to send a letter via recorded delivery, to push things a long.

This is pretty much what is happening. The VM staff on their forum, who I have no issue with but seem to only be allowed to give out limited info, say that it can only be raised when it breaks a threshold. But they can't tell me what that threshold is. I'm guessing it's so embarrassingly high, that it would be damaging to VM if it was put on a public forum.

I was told by the pretty well educated guy on VM Business that my area was 96% utilised and that wasn't quite hitting the target.

If i were you and you can do without the download speed email the CEO and they call you back. In my exp i was contacted within a week of sending the email.
Old 12-12-2017, 13:18   #20
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
I was told by the pretty well educated guy on VM Business that my area was 96% utilised and that wasn't quite hitting the target.
That's not quite how they measure utilisation. I can almost guarantee that no area is 96% utilised because % utilised by itself is almost meaningless.

96% of the total capacity being used would either be completely unusable as that remaining 4% would be whatever's left over out of hours and at peak times congestion would be abysmal OR 96% peak capacity would be absolutely fine because everyone's getting full speed and there's still 4% of capacity left for growth.

Rather, "96%" needs to be qualified with another stat - the time it's at 96% for. Hitting 96% for 5hours+ might be cause for concern, but hitting 96% peak for a few mins is fine. There's always going to be times when all bandwidth is being used - think peak times when a major event is happening, like the world cup. It's generally accepted that you cannot expect Virgin to provision enough capacity for 100% of customers to get 100% of their speed at all times - that's just far too expensive to do. Instead, virgin (And other ISP's) allocate enough capacity so that the majority of the time, people get the speeds they pay for. It's hitting that balance between cost (to you and Virgin) and availability that's tricky.

Years ago, in the bad old days, it was something like 98% capacity used for greater than 90% of the time before Virgin would upgrade the area. When I worked there, it was something like >95% usage for >10% of the time in a 7 day period was when it got logged. Over time, they got more and more proactive with the stats but I don't know what they are today.

It's also worth pointing out that just because an area hit those thresholds doesn't mean it would get scheduled in, just that the ticket would get raised. Areas were prioritised based on budgets and need, i.e. the worst areas got fixed first or the most customers got fixed for the best bang/buck.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 16:22   #21
kalleh
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
That's not quite how they measure utilisation. I can almost guarantee that no area is 96% utilised because % utilised by itself is almost meaningless.

96% of the total capacity being used would either be completely unusable as that remaining 4% would be whatever's left over out of hours and at peak times congestion would be abysmal OR 96% peak capacity would be absolutely fine because everyone's getting full speed and there's still 4% of capacity left for growth.

Rather, "96%" needs to be qualified with another stat - the time it's at 96% for. Hitting 96% for 5hours+ might be cause for concern, but hitting 96% peak for a few mins is fine. There's always going to be times when all bandwidth is being used - think peak times when a major event is happening, like the world cup. It's generally accepted that you cannot expect Virgin to provision enough capacity for 100% of customers to get 100% of their speed at all times - that's just far too expensive to do. Instead, virgin (And other ISP's) allocate enough capacity so that the majority of the time, people get the speeds they pay for. It's hitting that balance between cost (to you and Virgin) and availability that's tricky.

Years ago, in the bad old days, it was something like 98% capacity used for greater than 90% of the time before Virgin would upgrade the area. When I worked there, it was something like >95% usage for >10% of the time in a 7 day period was when it got logged. Over time, they got more and more proactive with the stats but I don't know what they are today.

It's also worth pointing out that just because an area hit those thresholds doesn't mean it would get scheduled in, just that the ticket would get raised. Areas were prioritised based on budgets and need, i.e. the worst areas got fixed first or the most customers got fixed for the best bang/buck.

Thank you for the info. Just passing on the little information I was given by UK Business support.

Generally nobody expects 350 24/7 but when it drops to less than half what you pay for or even lower then questions needs to asked and when you're given some blase response that its to be accepted as that from 'Tech Support' it sums up how they work.

Luckily my area recently went to 24 Downstreams which fixed the issue until obviously they pack more customers onto the cmts or offer a free upgrade. only time will tell.

Having the 2 lines makes it viable for everything really and its under £120 a month total so it's working out atm.

One line for Streaming to twitch/Games/latency required applications.

One line for downloading large files and general YT/Prime/Streaming
Old 16-12-2017, 18:41   #22
Jon22
cf.addict

Bit of an update, had a reply from the VM forum staff with regards to an issue with SNR and FECS.

Quote:
Hi Jon22,

Many thanks for getting in touch, I am sorry to see you have continued to have trouble with your connection.

I have taken a look and it seems there is an issue with SNR and FECS (noise on the line) I have raised this to networks to investigate further.

I have also made a note on the account to advise of this so the complaints team can see that this has been done.

I will let you know once I know more.

All the best

Hi Jon22,

Just a quick update a fault has been raised ref F005840594, the current review date is 27/12/2017.

I will note this on the account for the complaints team.

Take care.
I guess this is upstream SNR. Wonder if it’s related to a bit of an issue earlier on which required a reboot.

Old 17-12-2017, 01:17   #23
Jon22
cf.addict

Connection is totally down now. Nothing on the service status, so I’ll have to call in tomorrow morning if it’s still down.
Old 17-12-2017, 16:58   #24
Jon22
cf.addict

Got a bit more info via the VM Twitter team.

Quote:
Hi Jonathan, I can see we've identified an issue which may be causing an intermittent or full loss of connection for some customers. The issue relates to interference on the network which can have many causes from damaged cables to faulty or unauthorised equipment being connected to our network. Our guys are working hard to establish the cause and put things right as soon as possible. The current estimated fix time date is 27th December 2017. Apologies again for any inconvenience this may be causing and rest assured we will cover the cost of the service whilst unavailable. Best, ^MK
Connection was down most of the night.

Old 18-12-2017, 19:33   #25
Jon22
cf.addict

Does anyone know if this number is from Virgin?

01895 461320‬

Had three missed calls from it today. Quick Google suggests it’s tech support but it doesn’t seem to accept incoming calls. Just wanted to check it was genuine.
Old 18-12-2017, 20:01   #26
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

That's because a lot of teams in call centers can only ring out. They dont want you to ring them directly because they need you to go through 1st line/customer services who can open and ticket and take your info and then pass it along. It is all about efficiency and time management.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2017, 20:21   #27
Jon22
cf.addict

True, didn’t think of that. If it is technical support, they must be being pro-active as I’ve not requested it. Which is no bad thing.
Old 14-01-2018, 00:24   #28
Jon22
cf.addict

So, back to congestion again. Will have to see what is said on the thread I have running on the VM forum. Depending on that, I’ll have to seriously look at other providers. Not paying nearly £50 per month for a connection like this.

Old 14-01-2018, 11:03   #29
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

that looks like peak time congestion (weekend + evening) between 5 and 10
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2018, 11:27   #30
Jon22
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
that looks like peak time congestion (weekend + evening) between 5 and 10
Weird thing is, I can still get around 300Mb on a speed test when it’s like that. I tried around 6 ish yesterday, where one of the first peaks is and got that, but the upload was around 6Mb. Then, it’s not always like that every evening which is probably why VM aren’t that interested in doing something about it. Seems as though a few people are hammering the upload at random intervals.