Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media 70, 150 & 200 Mb Upgrades

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media 70, 150 & 200 Mb Upgrades

Old 25-01-2016, 20:45   #871
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Virgin Media 70, 150 & 200 Mb Upgrades

Quote:
Originally Posted by ileikcaek View Post
Are you kidding me, the gap grows even wider... About time VM UK pulled their finger out.
No point. Very little competition and even less desire on the part of most to pay.

---------- Post added at 20:45 ---------- Previous post was at 20:44 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
wtf! For €30!!!!!
Price after 4 months €60
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 25-01-2016, 21:09   #872
ileikcaek
cf.addict

ileikcaek has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
wtf! For €30!!!!!
€60 after three months but that's £45.70 ish, about what I'm paying right now for 200Mb and phone, so we are getting ripped off in my opinion.

Some claim they can do such packages in Ireland because the network is tiny compared to the UK's but it has obviously had more investment than the UK network has, I hope that Liberty Global ramps up the investment in the UK and don't charge us outrageous amounts of cash compared to their other divisions.

It just seems like there's a lack of competition in the UK right now.
ileikcaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2016, 08:11   #873
Stop It
Inactive

Services: VM Vivid 200 VM XL TV & Sky Sports VM Phone
Stop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of society

Quote:
Originally Posted by ileikcaek View Post
€60 after three months but that's £45.70 ish, about what I'm paying right now for 200Mb and phone, so we are getting ripped off in my opinion.

Some claim they can do such packages in Ireland because the network is tiny compared to the UK's but it has obviously had more investment than the UK network has, I hope that Liberty Global ramps up the investment in the UK and don't charge us outrageous amounts of cash compared to their other divisions.

It just seems like there's a lack of competition in the UK right now.
Well, you have to look at the full picture.

VM Ireland TV package is weaker, and to get the likes of BT Sport to match the XL Package, you're looking at €115 or £85 which is not competitive with Big Kahuna (And new customers get 12 months cheaper, rather than 4 there).

On a personal note, my package, which is based on an old special offer, is £25 more expensive on VM Ireland WITH their special discount. Yes, the higher speed is nice, but frankly I don't need it! There is just as much competition in the UK as Ireland so I don't really see your point there?
Stop It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2016, 08:59   #874
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

The big factor for me in terms of prices is that Line rental absolutely ruins in. I'm hoping that with the new regulations about not displaying line rental price, combined with the VoIP offering, Virgin will drop the necessity of line rental just to get the best deal.

I'd rather the price of broadband increased a little bit but meant dropping line rental entirely. Then prices would be overall cheaper and a bit in line with my (literal) Irish cousins.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2016, 09:09   #875
Stop It
Inactive

Stop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
The big factor for me in terms of prices is that Line rental absolutely ruins in. I'm hoping that with the new regulations about not displaying line rental price, combined with the VoIP offering, Virgin will drop the necessity of line rental just to get the best deal.

I'd rather the price of broadband increased a little bit but meant dropping line rental entirely. Then prices would be overall cheaper and a bit in line with my (literal) Irish cousins.
Well, another factor is the exchange rate.

Only a few years ago there was almost parity between the £ and €. I don't think anyone here would've been calling a package price of £115 a month for a Big Kahuna package or even £60 a month just for broadband a decent price!

That said, I agree that Line Rental in this day and age is becoming a bit of a farce. I have unlimited calls on my mobile and have 0 interest in my Landline yet there it stays. The sooner VOIP can work, dropping the need for the separate line, the better.
Old 26-01-2016, 09:21   #876
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stop It View Post
That said, I agree that Line Rental in this day and age is becoming a bit of a farce. I have unlimited calls on my mobile and have 0 interest in my Landline yet there it stays. The sooner VOIP can work, dropping the need for the separate line, the better.
Bear in mind that in a power cut or similar situation VOIP as likely won't work and if the mobile network is also down only the battery backed up conventional phone network would be the only way of contacting the emergency services
Old 26-01-2016, 09:55   #877
Stop It
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
Bear in mind that in a power cut or similar situation VOIP as likely won't work and if the mobile network is also down only the battery backed up conventional phone network would be the only way of contacting the emergency services
If I'm honest, if BOTH of those happened at once, I think dialling 999 would be the least of my worries.

An area wide power cut which knocks out the local mast would also likely knock out the local exchanges too, rendering a landline useless too would it not? Anyway, considering this is a hypothetical that hasn't happened to my knowledge in my area in living memory, I think I can live with that.
Old 26-01-2016, 09:55   #878
MrIca
Inactive

MrIca is on a distinguished roadMrIca is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
Any reason why the faster speeds always seem to launch in Ireland first?

Someone mentioned the network being tiny in Ireland. Probably is, but I've read many times that a much higher percentage of the country is cabled, compared to the UK
MrIca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2016, 10:55   #879
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stop It View Post
If I'm honest, if BOTH of those happened at once, I think dialling 999 would be the least of my worries.

An area wide power cut which knocks out the local mast would also likely knock out the local exchanges too, rendering a landline useless too would it not? Anyway, considering this is a hypothetical that hasn't happened to my knowledge in my area in living memory, I think I can live with that.
Telephone exchanges have always had stand by battery power (48V) in the event of a power outage.
Old 26-01-2016, 11:21   #880
Stop It
Inactive

Quote:
Telephone exchanges have always had stand by battery power (48V) in the event of a power outage.
Fair enough.
Old 26-01-2016, 12:08   #881
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrIca View Post
but I've read many times that a much higher percentage of the country is cabled, compared to the UK
Only four cities are cabled. http://www.libertyglobal.com/oo-ireland.html
Perhaps you'd read about their MMDS coverage, which provides TV to rural areas?

Also, broadband is only available to 88% of cable homes passed.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2016, 12:11   #882
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

Or if your mobile signal is so poor you use a femto cell to route the mobile calls over your BB, then in a power cut you need that land line to call the power company to report the cut as well as 999 calls.
Old 26-01-2016, 12:27   #883
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
God I hate this alarmist dribble being repeated over and over.

Mobile masts have battery backups and there are more of them.

Not to mention, chance of a power cut: 0.05%

Chance of needing to dial 999: 0.0001%

Chance of both happening at the same time: 0.05% x 0.0001% = NaN.

---------- Post added at 12:27 ---------- Previous post was at 12:24 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetiepooh View Post
Or if your mobile signal is so poor you use a femto cell to route the mobile calls over your BB, then in a power cut you need that land line to call the power company to report the cut as well as 999 calls.
Then the 1% of people who have no mobile coverage can keep their landlines. The remaining 99% however, can make their own choices.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2016, 13:08   #884
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetiepooh View Post
That is the case for me, however you may like to know that VoIP services being used to replace landlines require battery backup across all mains-powered components to permit such calls for a time.

You guys will be getting quite familiar with such things as you continue your FTTP deployment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKxR...hannel=Verizon

---------- Post added at 13:08 ---------- Previous post was at 13:03 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrIca View Post
Any reason why the faster speeds always seem to launch in Ireland first?
When Liberty Global bought the cable network from ntl they rebuilt it as most of it couldn't handle 2-way services and most of the bits that could it would be generous to say weren't up to the task for the longer term.

Virgin Media Ireland compete with Eircom and the Vodafone/ESB FTTP joint venture. They have to be a bit more aggressive to keep up.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2016, 16:03   #885
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Oh. I thought they relaxed the requirements for BBUs on FTTP CPEs.

Are VM planning on running backup power to all active coaxial network components too? Guess they have to, for BBUs in CPEs to be of any use.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote