Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media 70, 150 & 200 Mb Upgrades

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media 70, 150 & 200 Mb Upgrades

Old 12-09-2015, 21:02   #271
mmm
cf.geek

mmm has a spectacular aura about themmmm has a spectacular aura about themmmm has a spectacular aura about themmmm has a spectacular aura about them
re: Virgin Media 70, 100 & 200 Mb Upgrades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
There may be a 4th channel at 25.8MHz. That's where it usually goes given where the rest of them are. Group of 4 between 22.6 and 49.4, with whatever is underneath for STBs.
I had a brief outage at 6am this morning, can't see any change still have 2 upstream channels including that 25.8MHz one, not sure what was before

Code:
Upstream
 	US-1	US-2	US-3	US-4
Channel Type	2.0	2.0	N/A	N/A
Channel ID	20	18	N/A	N/A
Frequency (Hz)	25800000 Hz	39400000 Hz	N/A	N/A
Ranging Status	Success	Success	N/A	N/A
Modulation	QAM16	QAM16	N/A	N/A
Symbol Rate (Sym/sec)	5120000	5120000	N/A	N/A
Mini-Slot Size	128	128	N/A	N/A
Power Level (dBmV)	40.0 dBmV	41.3 dBmV	N/A	N/A
T1 Timeouts	0	0	N/A	N/A
T2 Timeouts	0	0	N/A	N/A
T3 Timeouts	0	0	N/A	N/A
T4 Timeouts	0	0	N/A	N/A
mmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-09-2015, 16:36   #272
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

that is cool, I wasn't expecting it in October, just by the end of the year. My birthday is November 10th so any time around then would be cool
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2015, 03:29   #273
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
that is cool, I wasn't expecting it in October, just by the end of the year. My birthday is November 10th so any time around then would be cool
Yes, Virgin Media is deliberately holding your upgrade to give it to you on your birthday.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2015, 07:43   #274
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Thought so
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2015, 21:30   #275
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Just been looking at the plans to start implementing remote phy come the start of 2017.

As always, not my area of expertise but I am becoming more involved in what happens between the CMTS and the Core Routers.
Old 16-09-2015, 22:49   #276
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
Just been looking at the plans to start implementing remote phy come the start of 2017.
Cool. Will improve plant performance and allow more use of WDM to lower fibre count.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2015, 22:52   #277
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Can I get an ELI5 what remote phy is? (Before qas answers, I already looked at the Cisco paper and frankly I'm none the wiser).
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2015, 23:02   #278
RainmakerRaw
cf.addict

Services: Gig1
RainmakerRaw is a glorious beacon of lightRainmakerRaw is a glorious beacon of lightRainmakerRaw is a glorious beacon of lightRainmakerRaw is a glorious beacon of lightRainmakerRaw is a glorious beacon of lightRainmakerRaw is a glorious beacon of lightRainmakerRaw is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
Can I get an ELI5 what remote phy is? (Before qas answers, I already looked at the Cisco paper and frankly I'm none the wiser).
According to 2 seconds on Google:

Quote:
Remote PHY refers to the technique of moving the PHY circuit out of a device such as a CCAP and putting the PHY circuit at the end of a network. Remote PHY builds upon the work started with Modular CMTS (M-CMTS) and Modular Headend Architecture (MHA) at CableLabs.
Tut, obviously...
Old 17-09-2015, 00:06   #279
OhReally

Quote:
Before end of year, depending on area.
Now for the obligatory "which year is that". For the last round my area should have been done Aug 14 finally done in March 15.
Old 17-09-2015, 00:24   #280
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
It basically takes part of the line card customers connect to and puts it out in the field. The fibre link between node and hubsite goes from analogue to all digital.

The remote PHY receives 1s and 0s from the hub site, across the fibre link, which it turns into RF for the cable modems and sends down the coax, and it converts RF arriving on the coax from the modems into 1s and 0s to go into the upstream laser.
Old 17-09-2015, 03:17   #281
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

Has anyone ever heard of having multiple nodes per street when takeup is really high? or do VM have node sizes that have a minimum size that exceeds that?
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2015, 08:08   #282
Ignitionnet
Inactive

I haven't specifically though I know there are some very small nodes in the field.

There's no technical reason why it couldn't be done.
Old 17-09-2015, 08:27   #283
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
It basically takes part of the line card customers connect to and puts it out in the field. The fibre link between node and hubsite goes from analogue to all digital.

The remote PHY receives 1s and 0s from the hub site, across the fibre link, which it turns into RF for the cable modems and sends down the coax, and it converts RF arriving on the coax from the modems into 1s and 0s to go into the upstream laser.
Makes a bit more sense, thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post
Has anyone ever heard of having multiple nodes per street when takeup is really high? or do VM have node sizes that have a minimum size that exceeds that?
There's plenty of instances where two properties next to each other on the same street, with the same post code, are on different nodes. Internally, although Virgin will put messages on the website or IVR saying what post codes are affected by issues, they actually track them via an internal node code, like CCC0 1234, for this very reason.

It's why it's usually pointless checking with your neighbour if their connection is all right or not, because nothing is guaranteed.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2015, 09:32   #284
Ignitionnet
Inactive

I think he's asking about nodal areas being so small that a single street has 2 of them all to itself rather than a post code being split across 2 nodes, which can and does happen and is entirely dependent on how the area was built originally.

I've been told that there are student areas where there's fibre basically to the tap as usage is huge, uptake high, and all the houses are HMOs.
Old 23-09-2015, 19:57   #285
broadbandking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media V6 XL TV - 1Gb Broadband
broadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze array
broadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze array

Quote:

Simple as that then