Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | How to use an external SD card on ZTE Blade III for data storage?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin & O2 Mobile Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin APN settings anyone

Old 12-08-2013, 14:52   #1
Exorcist74
Inactive

Services: 60Mb cable and basic package
Exorcist74 will become famous soon enoughExorcist74 will become famous soon enoughExorcist74 will become famous soon enough
Unhappy Virgin APN settings anyone

Before anyone ask YES i have trawled the halls of GOOGLE...
I have been trying for the last 6 days to set up the APN on my Samsung Note GT-N7000 (uk).. i have regesterd with virgin for the contract sim... but have not receved the txt notifications, online...
The other strange thing that happening is that when I send a txt to my son, his mother gets it and the same,other way round.. all numbers correct, and e-mails correct, some messages take up to 24hr some longer, voice mail has been activated... What do I use for provider virgin or t-mobile or Orange settings...
Im using T-MOBILE settings at the mo.

name T-Mobile UK
atn general.t-mobile.uk
username t-mobile
password ** -------- no idea whats reading
mmsc http://mmsc.t-mobile.co.uk:8002
mms prox 149.254.201.135
mms port 8080
mmc 234
mnc 30
apn type default,supl,mms

all other settings are not set

any help thanks....
Exorcist74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-08-2013, 15:07   #2
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Virgin APN settings anyone

These are from my S4

Name: Virgin Media Mobile Internet
APN: goto.virginmobile.uk
Proxy: Not Set
Port: Not Set
Username: user
Password: Not Set
Server: Not Set
MMSC: http://mms.virginmobile.co.uk:8002
MMS Proxy: 193.30.166.2
MMS Port: 8080
MCC: 234
MNC: 30
Authentication Type: PAP
APN type: default,mms,supl
APN protocol: IPv4
APN roaming protocol: IPv4
Enable/disable APN: APN enabled
Bearer:Unspecified
Old 12-08-2013, 15:46   #3
Exorcist74
Inactive

Exorcist74 will become famous soon enoughExorcist74 will become famous soon enoughExorcist74 will become famous soon enough

Thank you Ben for your fast response. Every time I clear my atn and take the sim out to reset it it always revert back to T-Mobile....
Will create a setting using your and see what happens... will get back soon..
very best wishes ... have you used a app called Tweakker it was the only way to get on line... be back soon....

---------- Post added at 15:46 ---------- Previous post was at 15:32 ----------

update Ben.... done the settings.. went to choose networks

found:
T-Mobile UK
3 UK
O2 - UK
Orange
Vodafone UK

No virgin, i think they run on T-Mobile or orange so what one do i choose.... done auto sellect.... T-Mobile
Old 12-08-2013, 15:59   #4
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

VM use EE so it can use either T-Mobile or orange.

---------- Post added at 15:59 ---------- Previous post was at 15:58 ----------

when I got my note 2 I went on the VM mobile website and it sent me out my settings.

Although looking at it they are the same as Ben's
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 16:02   #5
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exorcist74 View Post
No virgin, i think they run on T-Mobile or orange so what one do i choose.... done auto sellect.... T-Mobile
Technically if you are on a the T-Mobile side of the network then the T-Mobile settings should work, even if you using a Virgin SIM. There was an issue where these don't work if you roam onto Orange, but not sure if it's fixed or not.

It sounds like the firmware in your Note isn't a UK one - as Virgin Mobile is a virtual operator, the firmwares have to know that in order to put the right network name on the phone
Old 12-08-2013, 16:37   #6
Exorcist74
Inactive

You might be onto something there Ben, I not long flashed my note to Stunner 2 running 4.2.2 baseband n7000XXLRK, i thought it was a uk baseband... might be wrong... lost g3 signal just getting HSDPA:8.... thanks Ben.... going to do a bit more hunting... will keep you informed.....
Old 12-08-2013, 20:08   #7
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Technically if you are on a the T-Mobile side of the network then the T-Mobile settings should work, even if you using a Virgin SIM. There was an issue where these don't work if you roam onto Orange, but not sure if it's fixed or not.

It sounds like the firmware in your Note isn't a UK one - as Virgin Mobile is a virtual operator, the firmwares have to know that in order to put the right network name on the phone
Actually it can't. The SIM can only report the true network code (234-30) which equates to T-Mobile, and it can also report a text substitution for the network name. That however is not used for determining APN settings, as there is no provision in the standard for doing so. The firmware knows nothing about MVNO names, it's the SIM card that tells it what to do.

Most phones that are "MVNO aware" simply know that a network code (e.g. 234-30) can equate to several different sets of APN settings and ask you to select from a list (e.g. T-Mobile or Virgin) when you first turn it on. Several then save the settings on a per-SIM basis. Having any settings at all is at the discretion of the phone manufacturer and not all phones have all MVNOs regardless of whether they're UK or otherwise; though VM is quite a big and old MVNO so most should have it. However the mechanism that does this does not really care about the existence of MNVOs, it is no different from knowing certain network codes can have different settings for contract vs. PAYG customers, the actual code asking "T-Mobile or Virgin Mobile" acts the same as it were if it were asking "O2 contract or O2 PAYG or Tesco Mobile"

The Note definitely has the correct settings for Virgin Mobile so chances are the OP accidentally picked the wrong option when he was asked some time long ago and the phone just remembered his choice.

---------- Post added at 20:06 ---------- Previous post was at 20:06 ----------

Quote:
lost g3 signal just getting HSDPA:8.... thanks Ben.... going to do a bit more hunting... will keep you informed.....
g3 signal? You mean 3G. HSDPA is 3G.

---------- Post added at 20:08 ---------- Previous post was at 20:06 ----------

Quote:
You might be onto something there Ben, I not long flashed my note to Stunner 2 running 4.2.2 baseband n7000XXLRK
Never mind then. Hacked firmware, all bets are off.

Quote:
i thought it was a uk baseband... might be wrong...
Baseband is irrelevant. CSC is what matters though even then only in a few cases.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2013, 00:26   #8
Exorcist74
Inactive

qasdfdsaq BenMcr, have been on virgin message board and used the setting there, all pointing to Virgin links... yet when on lock screen it still say T-mobile, when I Auto select it come's back with t-mobile, I notice its a weaker signal than my Orange and Tesco sim when placed in the same phone, both sent me txt to initalise .. BUT virgin said they would but 30hr later nothing... I can make/Receive phone calls, serf the web (WIFI) receive txt message but long after they were sent, and to cap it all, txt I send to my wife, my boy gets and and same way round with my wife, sometimes my daughter gets my son's and my wife txt message and I send test TXT to my contract Orange phone, but they never arrive.... yet all the info of there profile are correct ie Phon No, e-mail address ect, I sent a message to my friend at 3pm this afternoon, only now has he got it 11:55pm.... Its a new contract sim, Its the worse sim i have ever come across to work out of the box... my eyes are bleeding from searching for a solution..
http://www.virginmobile.com/vm/gener...=13&submit.y=4
There is nothing wrong with the Rom that was flashed to my Note, it see every UK provider except Virgin?????
Old 13-08-2013, 10:00   #9
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
Actually it can't. The SIM can only report the true network code (234-30) which equates to T-Mobile, and it can also report a text substitution for the network name. That however is not used for determining APN settings, as there is no provision in the standard for doing so. The firmware knows nothing about MVNO names, it's the SIM card that tells it what to do.
I was mainly going off my experience with an Symbian Nokia phone, where where it had a non-UK firmware, would insist that Virgin was T-Mobile, for the network name and APN.

As soon as I put a UK firmware back on it, back came 'Virgin' as the network name.

I'm also pretty sure a T-Mobile Pulse phone, which was locked to T-Mobile, also didn't show 'Virgin' as a network name with the SIM in it.

Oh and according to Wikipedia, Virgin Mobile have their own MNC codes http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_country_code#U
Quote:
MCC MNC Brand Operator Status Bands (MHz) References and notes
234 31 Virgin Mobile UK Virgin Media Operational GSM 1800 / UMTS 2100 Virtual network using EE's network
234 32 Virgin Mobile UK Virgin Media Operational GSM 1800 / UMTS 2100 Virtual network using EE's network
Quote:
There is nothing wrong with the Rom that was flashed to my Note, it see every UK provider except Virgin?????
It does look like it can be an issue with custom versions.

For instance, these people over on XDA has a similar issue with Cyaogenmod
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1599259
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...ostcount=24371

Although I'm not sure what the solution is - probably to contact the people who made Stunner 2
Old 13-08-2013, 18:03   #10
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Oh and according to Wikipedia, Virgin Mobile have their own MNC codes http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_country_code#U
As you'll find with most codes on that list, they don't actually exist in use. Take out a mobile scanner in any mainland city and see if you pick up any broadcasting network with codes other than 10, 15, 20, 30, and 33.

---------- Post added at 18:03 ---------- Previous post was at 18:00 ----------

Quote:
I was mainly going off my experience with an Symbian Nokia phone, where where it had a non-UK firmware, would insist that Virgin was T-Mobile, for the network name and APN.
Again, there is no provision in the SIM standard for anything to do with APNs, anything a phone does with regard to APNs is entirely arbitrary at the discretion of the phone manufacturer.
Old 13-08-2013, 22:43   #11
Exorcist74
Inactive

OK qasdfdsaq,BenMcr,dilligaf1701 I think i found a solution... take the sim that's having the connection problems out of the phone and put the sim in another mobile that is open to the sim card provider... when initialized is done, phone a friend and send a txt message, wait for reply from both .... while your doing all this DONT connect the battery to the problem mobile..... take out the sim from the test mobile and place it back in original Mobile... start it up follow setup instructions DONE.
worked a treat... Thanks fellas one and all for your assistance .......
Best wishes Dave

PS. not sure if a signal was sent to the simcard, that got it to working.
Old 14-08-2013, 01:09   #12
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

That's one weird way to fix a problem that nobody seems to understand...
Old 14-08-2013, 13:25   #13
Exorcist74
Inactive

for my next trick... i am going to split a Atom with a very sharp axe..
Old 14-08-2013, 17:24   #14
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

If it's a laser axe...