Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media to Double Broadband Speed

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion

Virgin Media to Double Broadband Speed

Old 11-12-2011, 18:13   #151
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Re: Speed doubling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post
If VM have chosen to disable something it becomes not possible to activate for a customer.

However its not impossible for VM to enable that function by rolling out new config files, so to me the message given was misleading.
They have no reason or need to do so as they have the modems they want on the network and they only work on the CMTS that Virgin Media want them to work on so the is no issue or conflict and all information in that respect is 100% accurate.

Remember it is Virgin Media who is the ISP and it is up to them how they go about provisioning the network they own and run, why waste money on providing firmware on a something that is not required, do you put premium fuel in your standard saloon off course not as it is a waste of money.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-12-2011, 22:26   #152
|Kippa|
Inactive

|Kippa| has a spectacular aura about them|Kippa| has a spectacular aura about them|Kippa| has a spectacular aura about them|Kippa| has a spectacular aura about them

Hello all. I have just popped on to Cable Forum for the first time in a while. What exactly are the upgrades? And who is getting them? Has there been an official announcement or is this all rumour and speculation?
|Kippa| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 22:42   #153
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Rumour and speculation, but from a very informed source, who has been reliable in the past.

Nothing has been officially confirmed by VM.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 22:55   #154
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

I can see both side of the arguement guys. I got my new VMNG300 on Friday and had a look at the config before i rang up to get it activated and it did say docsis 1/2/3 etc compatible.

My question is though, if VM want to standardise CPE, why not take something like the shub and just give it to everyone if it will work on all hardware on all tiers instead of having the normal hub and the shub as well?
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 03:37   #155
a01020304
cf.member

Services: 200mb Broadband
a01020304 is an unknown quantity at this point

I feel all this is unfair on people.

People on 50mb will get a whopping 50mb extra speed yet those on 10mb only get a pathetic 10mb extra.

It should be a universal extra for everone, either 10mb for everyone or 50mb for everyone not massive extras for some and hardly anything for others.

It is going to be very unfair for people getting an extra 50mb speed for nothing and paying a only £35 for 100mb yet those on 10mb getting a small upgrade to 20mb and paying nearly the same price.
a01020304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 04:03   #156
Milambar
Inactive

Milambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond repute

It is a bit unfair, but, at the end of the day, VM are a business, not a charity.

If you want the better deals, then subscribe to a better package.
Milambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 06:37   #157
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!

Quote:
Originally Posted by a01020304 View Post

People on 50mb will get a whopping 50mb extra speed yet those on 10mb only get a pathetic 10mb extra.

It should be a universal extra for everone, either 10mb for everyone or 50mb for everyone not massive extras for some and hardly anything for others.

It is going to be very unfair for people getting an extra 50mb speed for nothing and paying a only £35 for 100mb yet those on 10mb getting a small upgrade to 20mb and paying nearly the same price.
If you want the bigger upgrade then pay for the bigger package, ring up you may be pleasantly surprised.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:00   #158
|Kippa|
Inactive

|Kippa| has a spectacular aura about them|Kippa| has a spectacular aura about them|Kippa| has a spectacular aura about them|Kippa| has a spectacular aura about them

Just curious, this rumoured speed doubling, is it just the download rate that is doubled, or is the upload rate supposed to be doubled as well?
|Kippa| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 07:12   #159
kwikbreaks
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FTTC, FoxSat HDR for TV, Vonage VOIP.
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze age
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze age

I imagine it wil be everything - up, down, ping, and jitter.
kwikbreaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 08:01   #160
Nopanic
Inactive

Nopanic has reached the bronze age
Nopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by a01020304 View Post

and whats to say prices will remain the same, should this upgrade be real ..
Nopanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 10:07   #161
byron_hinson
Inactive

Services: 50 MB Broadband and Phone
byron_hinson is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to byron_hinson

My parents got the letter about free upgrade in the post yesterday. Hopefully for customers who have been loyal for years like we have!
byron_hinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 10:32   #162
octatonic
Inactive

octatonic will become famous soon enoughoctatonic will become famous soon enoughoctatonic will become famous soon enough

I posted in my thread about this but I seem to have had my downstream speed doubled in the last few days.
I am regularly getting 50-100MB and sometimes more:

I have received no letter and no email.
octatonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 10:34   #163
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by octatonic View Post
I posted in my thread about this but I seem to have had my downstream speed doubled in the last few days.
I am regularly getting 50-100MB and sometimes more:

I have received no letter and no email.
Try clearing the cache as the speed is to high for 100Mb and if it was 100Mb it would have a 10Mb upload to go with it.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:45   #164
octatonic
Inactive

octatonic will become famous soon enoughoctatonic will become famous soon enoughoctatonic will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masque View Post
Try clearing the cache as the speed is to high for 100Mb and if it was 100Mb it would have a 10Mb upload to go with it.
Do you mean the modem cache or my internet cache?
I've turned the modem off and on again (wiated 10 seconds) and ebooted my mac after clrearing internet cache and getting this:

octatonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 11:01   #165
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masque View Post
Per another post of mine the config file for 100Mb is going up to 110Mb downstream, 109 is only a shade high.

Neither you nor I know what config files are floating around on the network, as you I'm sure know the config files are not the be-all and it's perfectly feasible that someone in a trials team shifted this guy to a 110Mb profile downstream as a test while his modem / Superhub is still policing per its config file at 5Mb/s upstream.

Could also be a rate limit fail, have seen a few of them on here recently.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote