Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Q re installation (tomorrow!)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Installation Issues

Need to move where the internet cable comes in to the house.

Old 11-03-2011, 09:34   #1
aliferste
cf.mega poster

aliferste has reached the bronze age
aliferste has reached the bronze agealiferste has reached the bronze agealiferste has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to aliferste
Need to move where the internet cable comes in to the house.

Hiya - I have a cable that comes in from outside into my study, it then connects to my cable modem.

I have a wee white box downstairs which is then attached to my television cable.

Essentially my study is now turning into a Nursery so want to move my internet cable downstairs - I know I could keep the router in the Nursary however I would rather not have wires hanging around.
How difficult is it to move the internet cable to where the telly cable comes in?
Old 11-03-2011, 09:55   #2
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Re: Need to move where the internet cable comes in to the house.

You will need to call up and ask for it to be moved which will cost you a £99 fixed fee, this is the standard charge and I would not recommend trying to alter the external cabling yourself as you may cause issues on the network with the ingress of noise.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 10:30   #3
weesteev
Cable Guru

Services: Virgin Media Gig1 RFOG, TV360, Stream, GoFibre 1Gb
weesteev has reached the bronze age
weesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze age

If you have a socket downstairs already then just a splitter and some extra coax should sort your out. Masque is right though, if you need VM to send someone there is a fixed fee of £99.

Access Network Innovation @ Liberty Global/Virgin Media

All comments are my own opinion and not a direct expression of LG/VM.
weesteev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 10:43   #4
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!

Quote:
Originally Posted by weesteev View Post
If you have a socket downstairs already then just a splitter and some extra coax should sort your out. Masque is right though, if you need VM to send someone there is a fixed fee of £99.
I never noticed the white box part, it should work downstairs with the cabling you already have, my bad for that so give it a try and let usknow.
Old 11-03-2011, 13:16   #5
aliferste
cf.mega poster

aliferste has reached the bronze agealiferste has reached the bronze agealiferste has reached the bronze age

Yikes £99

Ok - my wee white box has two place to put a cable - one of which is taken up by the TV.

Am I right in thinking all I would need to do is put another cable into the other connection and then Bob's yer Uncle?

If I remember correctly it looks like a different connection to the telly cable one. I do have a spare lengh of cable from the telly with connections on iether end - do I just plug this in or is that a bit simplistic?

What is a splitter?
Old 11-03-2011, 13:30   #6
weesteev
Cable Guru

Services: Virgin Media Gig1 RFOG, TV360, Stream, GoFibre 1Gb
weesteev has reached the bronze age
weesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze age

It probably is a different connection, probably FM for aerial connections. You can "acquire" a 2 way splitter on ebay and some short lengths of RG6 coax as well for a few pennies and that should solve your problem... your connection would look like this....

Wall socket - coax - splitter - coax x2 - Modem/TV

HTH

Access Network Innovation @ Liberty Global/Virgin Media

All comments are my own opinion and not a direct expression of LG/VM.
weesteev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 14:55   #7
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliferste View Post
Yikes £99

Ok - my wee white box has two place to put a cable - one of which is taken up by the TV.

Am I right in thinking all I would need to do is put another cable into the other connection and then Bob's yer Uncle?

If I remember correctly it looks like a different connection to the telly cable one. I do have a spare lengh of cable from the telly with connections on iether end - do I just plug this in or is that a bit simplistic?

What is a splitter?
Here is a splitter on Ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-Way-Aerial-C...item1c1961fe11
Old 11-03-2011, 19:55   #8
aliferste
cf.mega poster

Sweet - that seems simple enough - so I take it having a splitter does not effect the speed or anything like that?
Old 11-03-2011, 20:03   #9
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliferste View Post
Sweet - that seems simple enough - so I take it having a splitter does not effect the speed or anything like that?
No most splitters are behind the television.