Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Anyone heard anything about a 1TB V+ HD box?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Anyone heard anything about a 1TB V+ HD box?

Old 17-10-2010, 11:14   #31
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Anyone heard anything about a 1TB V+ HD box?

What about the original boxes that VM offered a one of payment for??
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 17-10-2010, 11:14   #32
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
What about the original boxes that VM offered a one of payment for??
That was an installation fee.

Virgin have never sold TV STBs in any shape or form, they are all rented.
Old 17-10-2010, 11:23   #33
Lew
Inactive

Services: VIP50, TiVo
Lew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze array
Lew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze array

I believe Telewest allowed some customers to purchase TVDrive boxes.
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2010, 11:24   #34
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Also what about boxes not returned and charged for.. Yes I know they are doorstop on the VM network but can still be tasked for other things including other countries
Old 17-10-2010, 11:28   #35
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew View Post
I believe Telewest allowed some customers to purchase TVDrive boxes.
Although there was talk of them doing so, they never did as it was around the same time as the ntl:Telewest merger. To be honest I couldn't see for the lift of me why anyone would buy one even if they had done - it's not like you could use it anywhere else

---------- Post added at 11:28 ---------- Previous post was at 11:26 ----------

Quote:
Also what about boxes not returned and charged for.. Yes I know they are doorstop on the VM network but can still be tasked for other things including other countries
The tuners are theorectically be compatible with other countries, but you would first have to replace the EPG and Firmware - as the PVR functions don't work without an active provisioning signal from Virgin Media
Old 17-10-2010, 11:34   #36
Kymmy
Inactive

The point though still stands, is changing the HDD in a V+ box illegal

Also are all V+ boxes covered by VM's terms & conditions
Old 17-10-2010, 11:37   #37
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Quote:
The point though still stands, is changing the HDD in a V+ box illegal
No don't think it's specifically illegal, as it doesn't allow to receive anything more than you pay for. However, it does break the T&Cs of the contract people have with Virgin and anyone that does it will likely get a bill to replace the STB due to damage if they ever leave, or if they break it whilst trying to do it.

Quote:
Also are all V+ boxes covered by VM's terms & conditions
As I said, the only one that likely aren't covered are those that don't work.

So why anyone would want to discuss how to waste time effort and money putting a bigger hard drive in box that doesn't work is beyond me
Old 17-10-2010, 11:43   #38
Kymmy
Inactive

But you've already admitted that these doorsteps could be re-programmed and used in other countries with the same DVB-C style network..

What I though was more interested in is how far does CF go in protecting VM's T&C's when there are great big loopholes in them as in this case some V+ boxes are owned (though not on the VM network anymore)

Old 17-10-2010, 11:53   #39
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Quote:
But you've already admitted that these doorsteps could be re-programmed and used in other countries with the same DVB-C style network..
I said would I didn't say could

Quote:
What I though was more interested in is how far does CF go in protecting VM's T&C's when there are great big loopholes in them as in this case some V+ boxes are owned (though not on the VM network anymore)
I never said they were owned, but if they aren't connected to the Virgin network then they aren't covered by the T&Cs

As far as I'm aware at no stage do Virgin transfer ownership rights to a customer. The charge levied when a customer fails to return equipment is a replacement fee, not a sale fee.

---------- Post added at 11:53 ---------- Previous post was at 11:45 ----------

At the end of the day, the choice is CF's as to whether to allow discussion of modification of Virgin's property. Personally as it's such a grey area legally, I wouldn't risk it
Old 17-10-2010, 12:07   #40
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Boxes arent owned, they are either virgins equipment or stolen
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2010, 12:59   #41
Kymmy
Inactive

How can then VM charge £250 for non-return.. They can't legally do this as a fine so have to be for the cost of replacing the box as detailed in many threads (will be interesting to see what wording one of the "Pay us £250 or return the box" letters state..
Old 17-10-2010, 13:01   #42
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Quote:
How can then VM charge £250 for non-return.. They can't legally do this as a fine so have to be for the cost of replacing the box as detailed in many threads (will be interesting to see what wording one of the "Pay us £250 or return the box" letters state..
Just because you pay a fee to replace something, I can't see how that means you automatically own whatever has been replaced

Say you broke someone's window, and paid to replace it, does that mean you own the broken bits?
Old 17-10-2010, 13:04   #43
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV with VM TiVo 1TB x 2 > VM XL BB > VM XL Telephone
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

Quote:
It's not a fine, it's cost of replacement to VM. It's in the T&C's, which also states that all VM equipment remains the property of VM at all times.
Digital Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2010, 13:08   #44
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

It's also not £250, its £125 to replace a V+ HD box
Old 17-10-2010, 13:31   #45
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
It's also not £250, its £125 to replace a V+ HD box
Ive read £125 but its £250 in the engineers handbook
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote