Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Anyone heard anything about a 1TB V+ HD box?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Anyone heard anything about a 1TB V+ HD box?

Old 13-10-2010, 14:15   #16
Wad_2002
Inactive

Services: Tivo & BB
Wad_2002 is on a distinguished roadWad_2002 is on a distinguished road
Re: Anyone heard anything about a 1TB V+ HD box?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masque View Post
You guessed it.
Thanks for clarifying...

I don't see why it cannot be discussed.
Wad_2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-10-2010, 14:35   #17
greeninferno
cf.addict

greeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogstamper View Post
If VM are currently charging £75 to install the V+ stb I can't see them charging only half as much for 1TB STB...I'd be more than happy to be proved wrong, but I can't see it happening, if I had to guess I'd say they'll charge around the £150 to £200 mark....look what Sky are charging.
if you buy it from sky , you own it.

with virgin you do not so they shouldn't be charging a penny other than postage to heve it delivered.

charging an "installation fee" to unscrew a wire and then rescrew it is a nonsense.
greeninferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2010, 14:42   #18
Andrewcrawford23
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media - XL Plus package with XXL broadband SKY HD Multiroom Freeview HD Freesat HD
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeninferno View Post

with virgin you do not so they shouldn't be charging a penny other than postage to heve it delivered.

charging an "installation fee" to unscrew a wire and then rescrew it is a nonsense.
so the tech doesnt need oc onfigure frequncies etc and ake sure it working?? yeah maybe 200 will be ot much but tivo will be premium so yoj cant expect no chrge at all dnt like it go to sky and get the box you can do wht you want with
Andrewcrawford23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2010, 14:55   #19
richard1960

Services: vm broadband tvxl TiVo, v+ sky sports and phone.

Quote:

Yes if you buy the box from sky you do own the box including the costs for any replacement repairs if it goes wrong outside the warranty period! With vm there is a one off charge which includes repairs/replacemets for as long as you have that box,no extra warranty to pay ect ect,so overall a one off fee is not too bad for what you get in return.

I paid a fee of £75 for my v+ HD box had it nearly 3 years and i have no costs to pay if it breaks down to me that is good value.

The same logic i would apply to the upcoming TiVo box.With an expected 1TB space and all its features.
Old 13-10-2010, 17:10   #20
ahardie

Services: XL tv/L internet, Tivo(1Tb.), SA V+.

Quote:

So lets just say VM pay , oh I don't know, lets say £150 for each box they purchase from the manufacturer. Then they pay tivo hundreds of thousand pounds for the software. Then they give us all the box for nothing. Can you see where I'm going with this. It's not the best of business plans is it?
Old 13-10-2010, 17:33   #21
greeninferno
cf.addict

greeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahardie View Post
So lets just say VM pay , oh I don't know, lets say £150 for each box they purchase from the manufacturer. Then they pay tivo hundreds of thousand pounds for the software. Then they give us all the box for nothing. Can you see where I'm going with this. It's not the best of business plans is it?
then everyone hears about how great the service is and rushes to uptrade to XL Tv which is included in the price and Virgin make millions?

OR

its badly implemented - turgidly slow not tested properly - and the customers who are desperate for a decent amount of storage are screwed royally for being early adopters and their highest fee paying customers?

time will tell.
Old 13-10-2010, 17:35   #22
beasty54
cf.addict

Services: 1gb, Full TV
beasty54 is on a distinguished roadbeasty54 is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I used to have the same opinion as you but if you really think about virgin media have 2 options.

1. Charge £100 - £150 installation charge and then £20 a month subscription
2. Free installation BUT rather than a monthly subscription of £20 its now £35 to cover the costs of all the new boxes, and Tivo licensing fees

The above numbers are random before anyone comments on them

Personally i'd rather have a cheap £150 install fee and then a cheaper subscription each month.

Quote:
then everyone hears about how great the service is and rushes to uptrade to XL Tv which is included in the price and Virgin make millions?

OR

its badly implemented - turgidly slow not tested properly - and the customers who are desperate for a decent amount of storage are screwed royally for being early adopters and their highest fee paying customers?

time will tell.
Unfortunately early adopters know exactly how it all works and no matter what service or product you buy, being first on the scene means you'll have problems one way or another. Theres simply no way to know how a service or product will cope when released to the world, it can be tested to death but theres always something thats missed
beasty54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2010, 17:57   #23
nialli
cf.geek

Services: Sky Stream, Sky broadband
nialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quads

Isn't there a charge that VM level at customers who are found to have modified their Virgin PVRs? Something like £200?
nialli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2010, 18:02   #24
ahardie

Services: XL tv/L internet, Tivo(1Tb.), SA V+.

Quote:

OR

time will tell.
Ermm, if VM are giving away for free something which costs them a couple of hundred pounds per customer I would think they wouldn't want anyone to sign up. They certainly dont make enough money on their subscriptions to cover that loss. The more people who signed up the more money they would lose. They are in business to make money you see. I would love to be a fly on the wall at a board of directors meeting where you put forward that business plan though.
Old 13-10-2010, 18:07   #25
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by nialli View Post
Isn't there a charge that VM level at customers who are found to have modified their Virgin PVRs? Something like £200?
Not specifically, but if when a customer returns their equipment it's found to be damaged by the customer, then there is a replacement cost
Old 13-10-2010, 18:22   #26
greeninferno
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahardie View Post
Ermm, if VM are giving away for free something which costs them a couple of hundred pounds per customer I would think they wouldn't want anyone to sign up. They certainly dont make enough money on their subscriptions to cover that loss. The more people who signed up the more money they would lose. They are in business to make money you see. I would love to be a fly on the wall at a board of directors meeting where you put forward that business plan though.
if you think virgin are going to be paying anything anywhere near that for each unit they have to order you are in a dream world.

the real reason vrirgin are hamstrung is debt repayments while trying to turn a profit for shareholders.

the real problems are being created by the profits not being ploughed back in fast enough to the business to really make Virgin a powerful leader in this industry.

The potential for Cable TV and internet is phenomenal and what we are seeing is a shadow of what is possible.
Old 13-10-2010, 18:23   #27
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Don't you just love armchair CEOing
Old 13-10-2010, 20:27   #28
greeninferno
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Don't you just love armchair CEOing
its a lot cheaper than the present incumbent
Old 17-10-2010, 12:02   #29
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wad_2002 View Post
Ive got a brand new samsung 1TB sata hard drive and Ive found a topic online where the guy actually changed the hard drive over to 1TB on the Samsung box. Was thinking of maybe trying this out.

Anyone tried drive swapping yet?
Quote:
That would be a breach of the Terms and Conditions of your contract as the box is Virginmedia property.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wad_2002 View Post
Yes I know that

I guess this something we can't talk about on CF?
Quote:
You guessed it.
Personally I don't see why the topic can not be discussed

As there are some V+ boxes out there that do belong to individuals then those people would not have a problem doing a HDD upgrade.. (it is their equipment)

What is against the T&C's is illegal activity (like gaining subscriptions without payment)

**If we safeguarded VM's T&C's then we'd have to restrict any discussion of Cable moving..etc.. Instead we only safeguard against those breaking the law but point out that other things may break VM's T&C's
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2010, 12:07   #30
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
As there are some V+ boxes out there that do belong to individuals then those people would not have a problem doing a HDD upgrade.. (it is their equipment)
There are no working V+ HD boxes out there that people own. They are all rented.

Those that customers have failed to return, so have been charged to replace won't work, so why would you bother to put a 1TB box in a box that doesn't work?