Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | No Freeview signal!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Freesat & Freeview

Freeview signal question

Old 01-08-2010, 21:33   #1
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura
Freeview signal question

I've just plugged my tv in to an old aerial port with a freeview box and it couldn't find any channels. I'm in a freeview area so is this likely to be due to the antenna not being good enough or is a booster likely to help?

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-08-2010, 21:51   #2
zing_deleted

Re: Freeview signal question

you need a high gain aerial I believe about 20 quid to buy but about £150 to get one installed lol
Old 01-08-2010, 23:19   #3
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

Just do it yourself if able, it's not rocket science
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 23:22   #4
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one

Could be the signal is too weak or possibly the aerial being the wrong group for digital reception. Have a check on WOLFBANES coverage predictor. This should give you a guide as to what is needed in your area.
nodrogd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 09:26   #5
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Could also be something as simple as old co-ax..

If replacing the antenna on an old system then also replace the co-ax, that way you're sure of the best possible signal..
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 12:12   #6
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

I'm really in a position to replace to aerial so I'm thinking of getting a hi-gain indoor one instead now.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 02-08-2010, 12:57   #7
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Problam with indoor is that you really need an antenna two grades above the equiv outdoor one. In other words if wolfbanes denotes a Hi-gain antenna is needed then indoors you'd need not an extran hi-gain but instead a super hi-gain... Outside is always best and in some areas outside with a masthead amp is the only way. Check wolfsbane site and let us know what it suggests
Old 02-08-2010, 13:02   #8
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
I've just plugged my tv in to an old aerial port with a freeview box and it couldn't find any channels. I'm in a freeview area so is this likely to be due to the antenna not being good enough or is a booster likely to help?
Is that plug actually hooked up to anything or is it just a bit of coax coming out of the wall?
Old 02-08-2010, 17:50   #9
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

It's connected to the outside aerial.

---------- Post added at 17:50 ---------- Previous post was at 17:32 ----------

Actually that question got me thinking and I had a look at the coax plug going in to my freeview box which seemed a bit worn. I replaced it with a new plug and bingo! I have channels! Only thing is some of them are missing, ITV for example. After numerous scans I'm still missing them so does this mean an amplifier will get them for me?

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 02-08-2010, 18:08   #10
Kymmy
Inactive

Maybe, amplifiers are best when close to the antenna, that way you're just amplifying the signal and not all the electrical noise...

What's the make/model of the freeview box and how old is it.. just that some of the older ones will no longer pick up all of the channels anymore. Also make sure you do a full hardware reset before scanning especially if the box has been used elsewhere
Old 02-08-2010, 18:23   #11
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

It's a DURABRAND CG5660-M and is about a year or so old. Doesn't look to be the most reliable box according what I'm reading online.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 02-08-2010, 20:07   #12
Kymmy
Inactive

It should be fine with all the channels as it was made after the network upgrade. Grab an amp from argos, if it works great if it doesn't then you can take it back on the 16 day return policy
Old 03-08-2010, 16:41   #13
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one

Just noticed your location. If the aerial was put up for analogue and you are receiving from Waltham then you will be a lucky person to get all the digital channels. Analogue from Waltham is in the Group C/D range, but with digital, Mux 1, C & D are in the Group B range and Mux 2, A & B are right down in Group A, so a wideband aerial should really be used, unless you're very close to the Tx and can get away with it.

If you receive from Sutton Coldfield there should be no problem as everything is in Group B.
nodrogd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 17:34   #14
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

Just tried an amplifier, it made no difference.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 03-08-2010, 17:46   #15
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

... in which case, the aerial on the roof is most likely the wrong group. You need a wideband aerial (identifiable by the black plastic bung on its tip).
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote