Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | No Freeview signal!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Freesat & Freeview
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Terrestrial TV

Old 23-08-2010, 10:22   #1
mattygg
Inactive

mattygg is an unknown quantity at this point
Terrestrial TV

Hi,

I have a quick question and i was wondering whether anyone can help me. I have recently moved into a new house and didnt have a tv aerial. I had virgin come over to install my phone/internet and the installer informed me that the tv for my house (terrestrial i believe) comes through the virgin connection point.

I have since been into my loft and found a cable which i have connected to my tv and i can get channels 1-5. My question is, firstly, will this be supplied by virgin, or is there another company which would provide this. Secondly, i am unable to pick up any digital channels through this connection. Does anyone know what i could do to get digital, without fitting a new tv aerial. (I already have sky, i was just wanting digital for the rest of the house.)

Thanks in advance

Matt
mattygg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 23-08-2010, 10:30   #2
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Terrestrial TV

Easiest way is to get a quad LNB on your sky dish and feed a new cable through to the rest of the house and get a freesat box (they use the same group of sats).

The VM point will never have freeview signals only an analogue passthrough for channels 1-5 but I believe these will soon cease to exist

Welcome to the forum and I've moved your post to the correct forum for you
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2010, 10:30   #3
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

The fact that you cannot get the digital FreeView channels through this cable means that this will be the Virgin Media cable.

Virgin Media used to deliver analogue channels as well as their digital channels but this is being phased out.

You will not get your digital Freeview channels, except through an external aerial.

Digital broadcasts are different dependent on the service.

Terrestrial FreeView is DVB-T and can only be received through an external aerial connection.

For interest the other types are DVB-C for cable and DVB-S for satellite.
RobboEdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2010, 10:52   #4
mattygg
Inactive

Thanks very much for your help so far guys. I got the impression it was only going to show channels 1-5. I believe i have a quad lnb on my sky dish already, as i have two connections going to my sky box and then i have two spare ones. If i ran a cable from one of the spare connections into a digital box would that enable to me watch freeview, or would i need to buy a seperate freesat dish.

Thanks

Matt
Old 23-08-2010, 11:40   #5
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

You can;t use the spare connections in a FREEVIEW box as that is DVB-T, instead you need a FREESAT box (DVB-S) and that should give you roughtly the same as freeview (and I think a few channels more)

If you get just a freesat reciever then you just need one of the connections, if though you get a freesat with built in PVR then you need two connections.

You might also consider getting a HD freesat system so it'll be futureproof for a few years to come
Old 23-08-2010, 12:07   #6
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

I think, now that your initial questions have been answered, you need to state your requirement for TV and what you would like to spend.

If I understand correctly, you have a single, digital FreeView TV which only receives channels 1-5 as explained earlier through the Virgin Media cable.

If you want to receive all of the FreeView channels without any further monthly cost then you either have to get an external aeriel to receive DVB-T or go FreeSat as previously advised but this requires a capital expenditure on a FreeSat box.
RobboEdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2010, 12:17   #7
mattygg
Inactive

Robbo,

I will explain my set up and you can advise of the best course of action. I have a sky hd box in my front room with the virgin media cable going into the rf input and i have my dish outside with the two sky inputs. I then have a cable carrying the skybox output into my loft, where it gets split into 4 seperate rooms. Each room has a sky magic eye on it and all the tv's can watch 1-5, as well as whatever the sky box is showing (set up on tv's as channel 6). My problem is that 3 of my 4 tv's (not including the front room one) have built in freeview. What i wanted to find out was whether i could do something, either with the virgin rf cable, or with a dish etc to be able to watch freeview on the other 3 tv's.

Sorry about the long reply. I have just read the post from kammy and it looks like it might not be possible. Unless there is a DVB-T/DVB-s converter so i can put it into the back of the sky box.

Thanks for any help

Matt
Old 23-08-2010, 17:01   #8
v0id
[CENSORED]

Services: Virginmedia - BB:250 TV:Mix TiVo v6 Phone:Talk Weekends w/anon reject
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
Easiest way is to get a quad LNB on your sky dish and feed a new cable through to the rest of the house and get a freesat box (they use the same group of sats).
Better off getting a freesatfromsky card as you get the full suite of Five tv channels amongst others

v0id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2010, 17:22   #9
Kymmy
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by v0id View Post
Better off getting a freesatfromsky card as you get the full suite of Five tv channels amongst others
Assuming someone has a spare sky box..

Personally I'd go for a HD freesat pvr box as you get all the features of a HD recorder without imposing more costs
Old 23-08-2010, 17:59   #10
mattygg
Inactive

Kammy and Void, I already have sky hd running so i dont really need freesatfrom sky, nor a pvr hd box. I was just wondering how i would connect a freeview(dvb-t i believe) signal to my current set up. I cant put an aerial up though im afraid as i live miles away from a transmmitter and cant really get to my roof. If that makes sense
Old 23-08-2010, 18:10   #11
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

If you can't put an aerial up, then you can't add Freeview to your set-up. Freeview really does need a good rooftop aerial, unless you happen to live right underneath your local transmitter.

The closest you would get is to buy two cheap Freesat boxes and connect them to the two spare terminals on your Sky dish's LNB.

---------- Post added at 18:10 ---------- Previous post was at 18:07 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by v0id View Post
Not really. Once you've bought the FSFS card, you still need to buy a Sky-branded box to put it in. Then every time you fancy channel hopping up or down, you have to go via a pile of channels that show you the 'upgrade' nag screen.

Personally, I don't think it's worth the cost and inconvenience just for a couple of channels nobody watches. Although having said that, Fiver and FiveUS will inevitably land up on Freesat sooner or later.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2010, 23:31   #12
toonlight
cf.addict

Location: On the highest mountian, looking into your bedroom wondering..hehe
Services: B/B VM100 (MB)
toonlight is a jewel in the roughtoonlight is a jewel in the roughtoonlight is a jewel in the roughtoonlight is a jewel in the roughtoonlight is a jewel in the rough
Smile Re: Terrestrial TV - move to freesat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post

Personally, I don't think it's worth the cost and inconvenience just for a couple of channels nobody watches. Although having said that, Fiver and FiveUS will inevitably land up on Freesat sooner or later.

Sorry to say, fiveUSA (ch174), fiveUSA+ (ch175), Fiver (ch176), Fiver+1 (ch177). Is already on Freeseat with a Freesat card

So, as was I told over the phone that a Freesat card will let see the + channels plus the rest that is for freesat other than an monthy payment with a sky package.

So the future is already here (sky)... freeview is past tense

Sky UK area coverage 98%
Freeview UK area coverage 75%

Above is written in each others information sources/releases
toonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2010, 23:55   #13
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Terrestrial TV - move to freesat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by toonlight View Post
Sorry to say, fiveUSA (ch174), fiveUSA+ (ch175), Fiver (ch176), Fiver+1 (ch177). Is already on Freeseat with a Freesat card

So, as was I told over the phone that a Freesat card will let see the + channels plus the rest that is for freesat other than an monthy payment with a sky package.

So the future is already here (sky)... freeview is past tense
I'd be careful where you use that dunce smiley ... especially when you yourself don't appear to understand the difference between Freesat and FreesatFromSky, which are two different brands owned by two different organisations and two different channel line-ups.

Freesat doesn't require a card - you buy a Freesat-branded box and receive all available Free-To-Air channels. The box uses your postcode to deliver the correct regional variations on channels 101-104.

FreesatFromSky does require a card (which you have to pay for, in addition to the box). With the card you get a mere handful of channels not available on true Freesat, because while they are Free-To-View, they are not Free-To-Air (they are encrypted). This includes Fiver and FiveUS. You can't run the Sky box without the card, because the card stores your region information. Without it, you don't get the correct variations on 101-104 (unless you're in London).

Quote:
Sky UK area coverage 98%
Freeview UK area coverage 75%

Above is written in each others information sources/releases
... and now you're confusing FreeSAT with FreeVIEW - again, two quite different things.
Old 26-08-2010, 00:08   #14
toonlight
cf.addict

Location: On the highest mountian, looking into your bedroom wondering..hehe
Services: B/B VM100 (MB)
toonlight is a jewel in the roughtoonlight is a jewel in the roughtoonlight is a jewel in the roughtoonlight is a jewel in the roughtoonlight is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattygg View Post
Robbo,
Unless there is a DVB-T/DVB-s converter so i can put it into the back of the sky box.

Matt
Just use a good quality CRT TV with a scart socket for ease of use to deal with matter above.. as one option to over come the problem. I know there not sold any more in stores but a good serviced secondhand is good future investment than the later...modern day flat screen tv.

That's why a good old quality CRT TV, is good to have other than putting up with replacing a modern-day flat screen tv ever so many short years..... not me.... (modern flat screen TV).
A good CRT TV will last you years, by any way who needs a 40+ inch tv in your living room where a 36@CRT TV is just as good but much cheaper to buy in the first place ........ hence theres the method in ones madness.

Even serviced good second-hand tv, will do for a bedroom too or for a childs room. The tv in my bedroom is 28+yrs old (CRT TV - Ferguson) from my parents living room, when they didn't need it any more, I was watching the same tv as I grew up in late childhood day till collage days. That value for money if I have to say.

---------- Post added 26-08-2010 at 00:02 ---------- Previous post was 25-08-2010 at 23:55 ----------

Quote:
I'd be careful where you use that dunce smiley ... especially when you yourself don't appear to understand the difference between Freesat and FreesatFromSky, which are two different brands owned by two different organisations and two different channel line-ups.

Freesat doesn't require a card - you buy a Freesat-branded box and receive all available Free-To-Air channels. The box uses your postcode to deliver the correct regional variations on channels 101-104.

FreesatFromSky does require a card (which you have to pay for, in addition to the box). With the card you get a mere handful of channels not available on true Freesat, because while they are Free-To-View, they are not Free-To-Air (they are encrypted). This includes Fiver and FiveUS. You can't run the Sky box without the card, because the card stores your region information. Without it, you don't get the correct variations on 101-104 (unless you're in London).

... and now you're confusing FreeSAT with FreeVIEW - again, two quite different things.
Very true sir Chris, correction is noted - but I'd like to think I stated a point still. As with old sky box (I've got 2 my first & a spare second hand skyplus+ box ). With sky box you can upgrade if so, or when you wish to do so.. so that why think it's the better option out of the two, you see. It gives you more options for the future...
Yes I have noted regional difference when my box (with card) plays up after power outage, so yes some thing's matters I guess.

---------- Post added at 00:08 ---------- Previous post was at 00:02 ----------

Quote:
Ok fair enough...

Freesat/FreesatFromSky = sat dish
Freeview = digital aerial
toonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2010, 09:20   #15
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by toonlight View Post
Just use a good quality CRT TV with a scart socket for ease of use to deal with matter above.. as one option to over come the problem. I know there not sold any more in stores but a good serviced secondhand is good future investment than the later...modern day flat screen tv.

That's why a good old quality CRT TV, is good to have other than putting up with replacing a modern-day flat screen tv ever so many short years..... not me.... (modern flat screen TV).
A good CRT TV will last you years, by any way who needs a 40+ inch tv in your living room where a 36@CRT TV is just as good but much cheaper to buy in the first place ........ hence theres the method in ones madness.

Even serviced good second-hand tv, will do for a bedroom too or for a childs room. The tv in my bedroom is 28+yrs old (CRT TV - Ferguson) from my parents living room, when they didn't need it any more, I was watching the same tv as I grew up in late childhood day till collage days. That value for money if I have to say.

Quite agree ... we bought a Sony widescreen CRT 7 or 8 years ago and its picture knocks spots off any LCD I've ever seen displaying an SD picture. TBH at normal viewing distance I'm sceptical that an HD screen of the same size would look any better in our front room.

And years ago my dad always swore by a local independent TV shop for repairs and additional TVs when needed. I had a secondhand one from there that lasted for years.

Quote:
Very true sir Chris, correction is noted - but I'd like to think I stated a point still. As with old sky box (I've got 2 my first & a spare second hand skyplus+ box ). With sky box you can upgrade if so, or when you wish to do so.. so that why think it's the better option out of the two, you see. It gives you more options for the future...
Yes I have noted regional difference when my box (with card) plays up after power outage, so yes some thing's matters I guess.
It's true, Sky does give you the upgrade path, however the pay-TV market in the UK is quite mature now; essentially, most people who are ever likely to want it already have it. Freesat isn't aimed at people who ever might want Sky; it's aimed at people who want digital TV now but can't get it, because they're in a non-Freeview area (possibly on a relay transmitter), or an area that won't carry a full Freeview service even after switchover. To that extent, the upgrade path isn't relevant to most people. Freesat is very popular with sat installers who are fed up of putting FSFS rigs in (usually elderly) people's homes and then having to explain why the EPG is crammed full of listings they can't watch, and don't want.

Aside from that, there's the HD question. Even with the recent launch of HD services from some Freeview transmitters, it's difficult to see how the current terrestrial transmitter network is ever going to be capable of moving from a fully SD service to a fully HD service, similar to the change that occurred in the late 60s and early 70s with the switch from 405-line, VHF to 625-line UHF broadcast.

Freesat is the only platform in the UK today that is capable of delivering HD, free-to-air broadcast slots to each channel as and when that channel is ready to commence an HD service. There may be a queue to get access to the HD transponders on the satellites, but that's an insignificant issue compared to the simple lack of bandwidth that makes comprehensive HD an impossibility on Freeview (unless and until an entirely new and radically improved means of compression is developed and deployed).

Given all of the above, I can only imagine Jimmy Murdoch gave ITV a very good deal to get their 2, 3 and 4-HD channels as Sky subscriber exclusives. Because in purely numerical terms, they have just agreed to put their channels where few people can see them, and even fewer people will watch them ... who really wants or needs to see Randall and Hopkirk (upscaled but still deceased)?