Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | HD is overrated

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

HD is overrated
View Poll Results: Do you agree that HD is overrated?
Yes 84 32.94%
No 147 57.65%
I am indifferent on this matter 24 9.41%
Voters: 255. You may not vote on this poll

Old 21-05-2009, 10:36   #16
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Re: HD is overrated

Probably because Sky are paying all the UK HD providers a lot of money for exclusive rights..
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 21-05-2009, 10:40   #17
cupcakes aka dd
cf.geek

Services: Almost the lot
cupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud of

Have you seen South Pacific on BBC HD. Stunning. There's no going back.
cupcakes aka dd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2009, 10:44   #18
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Product 13 View Post
Why do Virgin only have one HD channel?
Don't start that one off lol.

Its a combination of being slow on deciding that people want HD and now that are looking to add channels Sky has pretty much taken control of that market.

Virgin are currently negotiating with various channels and hope to have 5-6 channels launched this year but there seem to be a lot of contractual issues and its taking longer than they intitially suggested.
Old 21-05-2009, 11:06   #19
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

As for whether I think HD is overrated.. It depends on the content. Lost, for instance, doesn't really gain much from being in HD. Yes, the scenery is stunning (as are Evangeline Lilly and Elizabeth Mitchell), but it doesn't actually add to the story.

Anything that relies (at least partly) on visual impact does gain from being in HD. Heroes does. 24 does. Battlestar Galactica does. Most nature documentaries do, because most of them seem to have at least a couple of shots where you see the true spectacle of Nature (whether it be something big like a lion attacking prey or something small like an ant going through it's nest).

Similarly with films, I find the the big action films (Transformers, Spiderman etc) tend to look absolutely stunning on Blu Ray, but the difference is not so noticeable on smaller, character-driven films.

I think Homealone gave the right advice. At least he gave the advice I would give to anyone considering HD. Take a look. If possible go down to your local home cinema/hifi shop, assuming you have one and look at a few sets. It's better to go to one of these rather than a chain electrical store or department store as the staff are more likely to know what they are talking about.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2009, 18:06   #20
one2escape
Inactive

one2escape is an unknown quantity at this point

Normal tv is like sex with a condom while HD is without one. While its still enjoyable with one its much better without one!
one2escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2009, 18:56   #21
matt-h
Inactive

Services: SkyHD , VM BB 60Mb
matt-h has a brilliant futurematt-h has a brilliant futurematt-h has a brilliant futurematt-h has a brilliant futurematt-h has a brilliant futurematt-h has a brilliant futurematt-h has a brilliant futurematt-h has a brilliant futurematt-h has a brilliant futurematt-h has a brilliant futurematt-h has a brilliant futurematt-h has a brilliant future

Havig lived with SkyHD for a while i cant go back to watching footbal in smearovision anymore. Skys SD sport isnt bad on a 1080 tv ( itv is appalling ) but the HD sport is just awesome.

I mean just look at the difference on that split screen sky sports ad.

That is how much difference there is..once youve had HD you cant go back

I feel sorry for those that want to leave virgin but cant as the hd content virgin has is woeful
matt-h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2009, 19:05   #22
Ben B
Inactive

Ben B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze array
Ben B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze array

I feel that the way HD is advertised is ridiculous. A recent advert I came across was a TV which has no motion blur but they demonstrate that there is no blur on your own television! Therefore telling the viewer that they have no need to go and purchase the advertised television.
Ben B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2009, 20:31   #23
rogerdraig
cf.mega poster

rogerdraig has reached the bronze age
rogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to rogerdraig

i would still say hd is overrated if you are just talking about sky / virgin hd channels seen both on various tvs and i wouldnt pay extra fot it though i am considering ( waiting for tv to go to heaven lol hate getting rid of working things ) getting a new 1080p to watch the blue ray films i am slowly collecting

but my crt wide screan honestly looks very good the lcd/plasma tvs are only just getting to the point where they are much better than it to imho justify getting one

---------- Post added at 19:31 ---------- Previous post was at 19:11 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben B View Post
I feel that the way HD is advertised is ridiculous. A recent advert I came across was a TV which has no motion blur but they demonstrate that there is no blur on your own television! Therefore telling the viewer that they have no need to go and purchase the advertised television.

lol
rogerdraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2009, 22:51   #24
ilovehd
Inactive

Services: Vm xl tv, tivo, sports+movies, 100mb bb, xl phone, galaxy note
ilovehd is an unknown quantity at this point

No way is hd over rated i recently spent a few days staying with my mum her other half is a sky engineer he has hd in the living room on his 50'' lcd and DAM u notice the difference big time watching movies and football in hd is like 20times better i was gobsmacked when u see how clear it is hence im going to sky for the hd content alone has sold it for me! And they transmit in 5.1 which virgin dont.
ilovehd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2009, 23:01   #25
Andrewcrawford23
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media - XL Plus package with XXL broadband SKY HD Multiroom Freeview HD Freesat HD
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age

If people want a real compasion of HD and SD, tesco are pushing sky hd just now they are also showing you a movie with a scroll bar that scrolls form one side ot the other showing oyu with and without hd even my wife who couldnt see the difference did with that
Andrewcrawford23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2009, 23:17   #26
zing_deleted

upscaled SD on a good TV is good but as you move closer to the screen you can see obvious signs of the interlacing.

On the BBC HD channel these signs when watching Robin Hood for example are gone(even though its still inerlaced) this in itself is a massive improvement. Also HD tv rips from the stats are impressive whether they are 720 or 1080 they are still a lot better that SD upscaled. You also have to bare in mind there are hdready tvs and HD Ready tvs and you get what you pay for
Old 22-05-2009, 12:15   #27
Ben B
Inactive

Ben B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze array
Ben B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovehd View Post
is like 20times better
You're over exaggerating a bit, HD is 4 times the picture detail
Ben B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2009, 13:27   #28
lauzjp
Inactive

Services: 5mb 3 mobile broadband, sky, freeview
lauzjp is cast in bronzelauzjp is cast in bronzelauzjp is cast in bronzelauzjp is cast in bronze
lauzjp is cast in bronzelauzjp is cast in bronze
Send a message via MSN to lauzjp

When there used to be a Sony shop and a tv shop in town, I did stop and gawp at the hd tv's. They do look pretty stunning, but then again, so do some 'ordinary' tv's.
lauzjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2009, 13:34   #29
akki007
Inactive

Services: TiVo XL, L BB, L Phone
akki007 is a name known to allakki007 is a name known to allakki007 is a name known to allakki007 is a name known to allakki007 is a name known to allakki007 is a name known to allakki007 is a name known to allakki007 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Product 13 View Post
The HD content I've seen (SKY) is breathtaking.
Breathtaking? I doubt that. Breathtaking is watching the new Star Trek film in digital at a new cinema. Upscaled SD content on Sky is hardly breathtaking.

Placebo.

---------- Post added at 12:33 ---------- Previous post was at 12:31 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewcrawford23 View Post
If people want a real compasion of HD and SD, tesco are pushing sky hd just now they are also showing you a movie with a scroll bar that scrolls form one side ot the other showing oyu with and without hd even my wife who couldnt see the difference did with that
Thats because that isn't an HD feed, it's SD showing a rediculously blurred image being sharpened to SD! It's a marketing gimmic...that apparently works.

---------- Post added at 12:34 ---------- Previous post was at 12:33 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogermevans View Post
i would still say hd is overrated if you are just talking about sky / virgin hd channels seen both on various tvs and i wouldnt pay extra fot it though i am considering ( waiting for tv to go to heaven lol hate getting rid of working things ) getting a new 1080p to watch the blue ray films i am slowly collecting

but my crt wide screan honestly looks very good the lcd/plasma tvs are only just getting to the point where they are much better than it to imho justify getting one

---------- Post added at 19:31 ---------- Previous post was at 19:11 ----------

lol
Plasmas have been there for years. LCDs will never reach that quality.
akki007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2009, 13:41   #30
gadge
Inactive

Services: Sky+ Hd Multiroom,Unlimited Broadband,Unlimited Phone,WD Tv
gadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpack

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightRider View Post
I agree totally. The vast majority of HD screened on the various Sky HD channels is upscaled material. Apart from movies and live sport not a lot of choice. So a good quality tv and a HD box that upscales will show little difference to the average punter. Blueray yes different matter different ball park for quality.
Yes but dont forget the discoverys and nat geo wild hist ect that show all hd material.
gadge is offline   Reply With Quote