Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | HD is overrated

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Unlimited VM HD Movies-On-Demand for £5 per month

Old 30-06-2009, 17:30   #1
punky
Inactive

punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura
punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura
Unlimited VM HD Movies-On-Demand for £5 per month

Seems a good deal to me.

Quote:
Virgin Media And Universal Pictures Launch Picturebox Movies-On-Demand Service

Deal Adds Hundreds of Films to Virgin Medias TV Platform

First UK Platform to Offer PictureBox Films in HD

London, UK, and Universal City, CA June 29, 2009 Virgin Media (NASDAQ: VMED) and Universal Pictures today announce the launch of PictureBox, the leading movies-on-demand TV subscription service, on Virgin Medias TV platform.

From July, the PictureBox service will be available to Virgin Medias 3.6 million TV subscribers for £5 per month and provide a broad selection of recent and library feature films. Subscribers will be able to view films whenever they like from a selection of 28 films at any given time, with seven new titles being added to the line-up each Friday. Most of the PictureBox films will be available in HD and many will not yet have been seen on free-to-air television in the UK.

Highlights of films that will be featured on PictureBox in the coming months include such hits as Hot Fuzz, The Bourne Ultimatum, Children of Men and The Holiday, as well as classic blockbusters such as Scarface, Total Recall, The Nutty Professor and E.T The Extra Terrestrial. PictureBox is wholly owned by Universal Pictures Ltd.
punky is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 30-06-2009, 18:48   #2
jab1990
Inactive

jab1990 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Unlimited VM HD Movies-On-Demand for £5 per month

If this is the same service as the one tiscaly get then i think it is a miss because their movie selection is pretty dire
jab1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2009, 18:54   #3
dd11
Inactive

Services: XL V+ HD - 50mb Broadband, XL Phone - Free Satellite
dd11 is on a distinguished roaddd11 is on a distinguished road

it says "a selection of 28 films at any given time" is that it?

for only an extra fiver its ok, depends on what films. Although i surpose they don't wanna kill filmflex.
dd11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2009, 19:02   #4
lemarsh
cf.geek

lemarsh is a glorious beacon of lightlemarsh is a glorious beacon of lightlemarsh is a glorious beacon of lightlemarsh is a glorious beacon of lightlemarsh is a glorious beacon of lightlemarsh is a glorious beacon of lightlemarsh is a glorious beacon of light

if we presume (which is always a concern) that it will be the selection as Tiscali (http://www.picturebox.tv/tiscali/) then I don't think much of the offering.

It may only be £5 - but I won't be subscribing. However, I do applaud Virgin for giving us something new, even if it isn't for me.
lemarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2009, 19:04   #5
Pushkar
Inactive

Pushkar is just really nicePushkar is just really nicePushkar is just really nicePushkar is just really nicePushkar is just really nicePushkar is just really nice

Im pretty sure that they are similar to Sky Movies, so there's no real point of subscribing if you have a Sky Movies pack.

Also instead of trying to get more money Virgin, Where's our HD Channels
Pushkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2009, 21:16   #6
v0id
[CENSORED]

Services: Virginmedia - BB:250 TV:Mix TiVo v6 Phone:Talk Weekends w/anon reject
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaiLZ View Post
Im pretty sure that they are similar to Sky Movies, so there's no real point of subscribing if you have a Sky Movies pack.
Except they'll be HD movies. You can't get Sky Movies HD etc on VM at the moment (if ever)

v0id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2009, 22:16   #7
Hiroki
Inactive

Services: SkyHD, Freesat & Virgin Media TV/BB
Hiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful one
Send a message via MSN to Hiroki

It's a good idea but will taking this tie you into a 12 month contract and also how long until Virgin jacks up the price?

Looking at that Tiscali list there is nothing of value on there for my family anyway
Hiroki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2009, 22:47   #8
Arthurgray50@blu
cf.mega poster

Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal
Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal

What is the point of charging customers £5.00 per month for films, when l could to Blockbusters or various companies that shove various deals through my letter box or even film flex for that matter, and watch what l want. for half the price.

It would be better if VM got the HD channels, then l would go in for films, l have seen the HD films in my electrical shop and they are brilliant.
Arthurgray50@blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2009, 22:56   #9
Turkey Machine
Inactive

Services: Company LLU internet, soon-to-be company FTTC internet at 56Mb/20Mb!
Turkey Machine has reached the bronze age
Turkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu View Post
What is the point of charging customers £5.00 per month for films, when l could to Blockbusters or various companies that shove various deals through my letter box or even film flex for that matter, and watch what l want. for half the price.

It would be better if VM got the HD channels, then l would go in for films, l have seen the HD films in my electrical shop and they are brilliant.
Actually, you'd be hard-pressed to find a good deal at Blockbusters, considering it's done on a per-movie basis. I'd see it akin to Lovefilm, where you pay a monthly subscription and you can order what you wanna watch. This is less, and they're offering less, but you get what you pay for.
Turkey Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2009, 23:22   #10
homealone

Quote:

Can you post some links where we can get HD movies 'on demand' for £2.50 a month, please?

- apart from the VOD movies, etc, already available on Virgin Media, of course
Old 01-07-2009, 07:58   #11
Nook29
Inactive

Services: Virgin XL TV, V+, 10mb broadband, phone
Nook29 is a splendid one to beholdNook29 is a splendid one to beholdNook29 is a splendid one to beholdNook29 is a splendid one to beholdNook29 is a splendid one to beholdNook29 is a splendid one to beholdNook29 is a splendid one to beholdNook29 is a splendid one to beholdNook29 is a splendid one to behold

Regardless of whether the films are what you're looking for, the fact remains this is cheaper than any rental service.
Nook29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 09:49   #12
akki007
Inactive

Services: TiVo XL, L BB, L Phone
akki007 is a name known to allakki007 is a name known to allakki007 is a name known to allakki007 is a name known to allakki007 is a name known to allakki007 is a name known to allakki007 is a name known to allakki007 is a name known to all

But is it what the customer wants? What does the standard Virgin Media customer want? HD? No. Movies on demand? Perhaps. Better quality programming? YES.
akki007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 09:55   #13
Nook29
Inactive

Services: Virgin XL TV, V+, 10mb broadband, phone
Nook29 is a splendid one to beholdNook29 is a splendid one to beholdNook29 is a splendid one to beholdNook29 is a splendid one to beholdNook29 is a splendid one to beholdNook29 is a splendid one to beholdNook29 is a splendid one to beholdNook29 is a splendid one to beholdNook29 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by akki007 View Post
But is it what the customer wants? What does the standard Virgin Media customer want? HD? No. Movies on demand? Perhaps. Better quality programming? YES.
They're covering all areas. Some people are happy with the current programming (me), and some want HD films (possibly me). You may not want films, but you don't reflect every VM customer.
Nook29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 10:01   #14
zing_deleted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkey Machine View Post
Actually, you'd be hard-pressed to find a good deal at Blockbusters, considering it's done on a per-movie basis. I'd see it akin to Lovefilm, where you pay a monthly subscription and you can order what you wanna watch. This is less, and they're offering less, but you get what you pay for.
Actually Blockbusters do a monthly subs rental jobbie also starting at 4.88 (although you have to pay more to get a decent deal)

http://www.blockbuster.co.uk/

I got 1500 dvds and the Sony does a marvelous job of upscaling so I aint to fussed about HD movies that will cost me extra
Old 01-07-2009, 10:07   #15
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:

I bet Sky do a better deal as well, Arthur.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote