Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Have you been charged for premium calls that you didnt make?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Billing Issues

Have you been charged for premium calls that you didnt make?

Old 18-05-2008, 18:09   #31
eyeofthetiger
Inactive

eyeofthetiger is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Have you been charged for premium calls that you didnt make?

I have spoken to a manager but her customer service is unbelievable. I am in the process of writing a complaint letter and will mention that fraud should be involved. Thanks for all your comments, this situation is so frustrating
eyeofthetiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-05-2008, 18:23   #32
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M
Re: Rogue dialler on braodband

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enuff View Post
Really what?
Do you really miss 5 minutes waiting for a 1mb file to download?!
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2008, 18:45   #33
what?
Inactive

Services: vm tv xl, 20mb bb, and phoneline(tu 24)
what? will become famous soon enoughwhat? will become famous soon enoughwhat? will become famous soon enough

they surely have to legally let you see the proof or they cant force you to pay the bill?
as has been said, take it as far as you need to, if you werent in the property and you no noone else was in the house.
with all the calls being exactly the same length and to number that is no longer in use, only while you were on holiday, there is something really really strange goin on.(as you obviuosly no)
when you do find out what happens lets us no, coz this is an interesting one
what? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2008, 20:28   #34
Enuff

Re: Rogue dialler on braodband

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeph View Post
Do you really miss 5 minutes waiting for a 1mb file to download?!
Oh right... I was just being a little humorous, hence the wink.
Old 18-05-2008, 21:04   #35
SMG
cf.mega poster

Services: Sky TV, B/Band.
SMG has a bronzed appealSMG has a bronzed appeal
SMG has a bronzed appealSMG has a bronzed appealSMG has a bronzed appealSMG has a bronzed appealSMG has a bronzed appealSMG has a bronzed appealSMG has a bronzed appealSMG has a bronzed appealSMG has a bronzed appealSMG has a bronzed appealSMG has a bronzed appeal

It still stinks like last weeks kippers. Don't send the tickets, send copies, they are very good at loosing letters & blaming the post office, also, send it by reg mail. If the number is "discoed" discontinued, then how can they say you called it.

Surely a discontinued number doesn't exist & is unobtainable, if this is the case, then VM are charging you for calls to a non-existent number, therefore, VM is trying to obtain money by deception. Or am I wrong?
SMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2008, 18:42   #36
eyeofthetiger
Inactive

eyeofthetiger is an unknown quantity at this point

they said that my number had been discoed, not the premium rate number. I have written a letter to Ofcom and Virgin media via recorded post and sent copies of everything as proof. I spoke to my neighbour last night, a grandmother in her 60s who is a virgin media customer and has been charged for making premium rate calls for the last 2 months, virgin made her pay. i am also contacting the police. i will let you know what happens, fingers crossed, i am not letting this go
eyeofthetiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2008, 22:23   #37
denluk
Inactive

denluk is an unknown quantity at this point

Get in touch with your local paper, Virgin don't like the bad press and so sort it out asap.
And once its out of the hands of CS and onto someone with some clout, it doesnt take long at all. The CS people were still trying to deny there was a problem to people in my area two months after the executives office admitted it. To be fair tho, not one person at CS that I spoke to had heard anything about the problem - great comms from management as per any company....... Get hold of you local council trading standards - virgin dont like calls from them either for some reason. sounds like the problem we had here has not stopped, just shifted location !!!! Its not an 09825 number by any chance is it ???????
denluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2008, 22:26   #38
berkut
Inactive

Services: 30Mb BB, XL Phone, XL TV and V+
berkut is a jewel in the roughberkut is a jewel in the roughberkut is a jewel in the roughberkut is a jewel in the roughberkut is a jewel in the rough

eyeofthetiger

daft question... did your answering machine have any weird silent messages on it?

I may be wrong on this and I am sure if I am am it will get pointed out, but I am sure I heard of a scam where landlines were called and reverse charged once picked up at a premium rate fixed fee.

I had an issue with this sort of thing and unsolicited SMS messages on a recycled mobile number on pay as you go with vodafone.....was receiving SMS messages and getting charged £0.50 a time..... it cost me all of the credit that was on the account.....

I had a problem with unexplained premium rate calls on my VM phone bill as well until I spoke to sky and discovered the kids were playing the games on Boomerang after watching Scooby Doo...... the little darlings.......

don't give up and I hope you get this sorted out.....

only advice I can give when dealing with CS is don't lose the rag with them you get further that way...... my wife would collapse if she hear me giving that advice what with me doing an impression of David Banner on a regular basis until we binned the Digi Box and went to Sky+
berkut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2008, 19:09   #39
Spinyfish
Inactive

Spinyfish is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello

I have also been charged for £400 worth of premium rate calls. Having been with virgin now for about 8 months and never had a monthly charge over £2.60, to suddenly over 5 days phone several different premium rate numbers for somewhere near 14 minutes for each and every call (dialer?). My friends a street away have also been hit for this by virgin. Their premium rate calls were made on the same 5 days: between the 9th and 13th of may. They don't have a phone! They also can't tell me the numbers citing "data protection act", but as far as I'm aware if my name is connected with that information then tecnically I have full access to it. I have contacted the police and consumer advice service. If necessary I can use contacts to get this story to national press as, it seems to be large scale fraud.

Any advice on this?
Thanks
Spinyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2008, 19:44   #40
coco
Inactive

coco is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

I'm also in the same boat.
I called Virgin to sort out a problem with not recieving our broadband bills and was told I owed £400 for premium rate phone calls made between the 9th and 10th May. Thing is we dont even have a phone. I later discovered Virgin are saying the same thing to my friend in the next street - £400 for premium rate calls. He has been to the police, I will be aswell. I've written to Watchdog, but we should all get together to bust this, becuase there is no way in hell I'm paying. And yeah, their customer service is appauling!!
coco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2008, 20:11   #41
WHISTLED
Inactive

WHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of society

Quote:
It was not a fob off as we found a number of customers had the same number on the bill.Steps were taken in the back ground to find out how this was done.We had a lot in Scunthorpe and even our test lines had the number on it and they are hardley used.Steps were taken and we have not seen this for some time
Apols, I misread yoru first post, well didnt read it fully actually.

Quote:
yes all calls whilst on holiday, none before and after. it was only one number that appeared on bill (they wont issue me a copy of the bill as it hasnt been printed and breaks data protection). they have been so rude accusing me of all sorts. they have veen admitted the calls looks dodgy!
Doesnt that strike you as strange in itself? VM didnt know you were going away did they... Yet a supposed billing error began and ended during this time.

I'm not doubting you eyeofthetiger but I have been with VM for 10 years so I look at these things logically.

They cant give you toll for unbilled charges, theya re not being just being awkward. Post the premium number they gave you..

---------- Post added at 19:11 ---------- Previous post was at 19:03 ----------

Something fishy here
WHISTLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2008, 00:15   #42
JethroUK

Services: Philips 42" +XLTV +10 meg B.B. +Lrg Phone + caller ID +Tivo £52 +Xbox 360 60 gig +200w Sub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinyfish View Post
... They also can't tell me the numbers citing "data protection act", but as far as I'm aware if my name is connected with that information then tecnically I have full access to it...
VM aren't "protecting" the owners of the number implied by citing "data protection"/confidentiality - they are just saying the most plausible thing they think you'll buy - but if they won't give you the number then you have cast iron reason not to pay for it

Sounding more & more supicious and you shouldn't pay (you'll not get it back) until has been escalated to the press - if only VM phones are affected by the scam it would sound like VM security issue and they can't expect anyone else to pay for that
Old 23-05-2008, 15:36   #43
IronMaiden
Inactive

IronMaiden is on a distinguished roadIronMaiden is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JethroUK View Post
VM aren't "protecting" the owners of the number implied by citing "data protection"/confidentiality - they are just saying the most plausible thing they think you'll buy - but if they won't give you the number then you have cast iron reason not to pay for it

Sounding more & more supicious and you shouldn't pay (you'll not get it back) until has been escalated to the press - if only VM phones are affected by the scam it would sound like VM security issue and they can't expect anyone else to pay for that
There are certain types of information we cannot give out over the phone. On of these is telephone numbers dialled from your line, and as an example another is your account number.

There are (sorry but you seem to like using boldness to make a point, thought I'd give it a try) legal/data protection/confidentiality issues that mean we can't disclose this information, so please get your facts straight before taking a dig at VM.
IronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2008, 16:11   #44
WHISTLED
Inactive

WHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of society

I offered to look into it for the OP he didnt get back to me - I also checked with some colleagues as to whether there was a recognised issue with this date range and call values. There is not.
WHISTLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2008, 17:48   #45
JethroUK

Services: Philips 42" +XLTV +10 meg B.B. +Lrg Phone + caller ID +Tivo £52 +Xbox 360 60 gig +200w Sub

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMaiden View Post
There are certain types of information we cannot give out over the phone.
That goes without saying - there was no mention of data protection being limited to phone calls - the suggestion was that VM would not divulge the number at-all

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMaiden View Post
... legal/data protection/confidentiality issues that mean we can't disclose this information, so please get your facts straight before taking a dig at VM.
I taught data protection to employees (maybe even VM) so there is nothing you can tell me about confidentiality/data protection - and my facts are straight