Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | disability living allowance

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

disability living allowance

Old 18-08-2009, 20:27   #61
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Re: disability living allowance

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAROLWHITIE View Post
So I am fully justified with my comments.
You are also straying off topic.

Now, this is directed at everyone. The topic is the Disability Living Allowance. It is not whether doctors or MPs are or are not corrupt and it's certainly not about the definition of libel or slander.

This is a friendly warning: Carry on with the off topic posts and we will be taking further action.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-08-2009, 21:12   #62
Nugget
Inactive

Services: Will provide gags for cash
Nugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered stars
Nugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
I look around my country today an see the people in need suffering. I look around my country today, one which I have been led to believe is a democracy.

I KNOW THAT IN A DEMOCRACY IT IS THE PEOPLE THAT CONTROL THE POLITICS. I LOOK AT SUCCESSIVE GOVERNMENTS, MAKES NO DIFFERENCE IF THEY ARE ONE OR THE OTHER AND THEN ............................................I conclude that ignorant complacent plebeians who know no different, must have voted for them as no sensible people would have.

This is clearly manifest by two terms of labour and three of the Cons previously.

Surely given the current stae of our nation today only a real dumbo would fail to see this.

As for the duck I never said get rid of Labour over this I said get rid of the lot of thieving barstewards as they are all robbing you blind and we have not even looked and civil service expenses yet.

Look if then peasantry is happy with this situation and simply want to ignore it, then thats fine by me...just get on with it its your suicide and that of your loved ones, and not mine as I am already wised up to what is happy and made my provisions.

We are hardly what one would describe as being an enlightened electorate....we even let Brown sign our country away to Europe when he sneakily signed the Treaty of Lisbon over XMAS last year and one, and clearly to give away our sovereign powers to another nation is Treason under the Bill of Right 1688 I believe. Yet most of the public are too thick to even bother to know this or protest. Nu Labour promised you all a referendum on the Treaty of Lisbon, but Nu Labour knows you are all too thick to care, too busy with footie and the telle.

Nobody's saying that you're not justified with your comments - what we are doing is exercising our democratic right to disagree with you

We'll all have a choice in about 9 months to make a difference - even those of us who are 'too thick' will be able to cast our vote to try and make a change.
Nugget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2009, 21:18   #63
CAROLWHITIE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart C View Post

Now, this is directed at everyone. The topic is the Disability Living Allowance. It is not whether doctors or MPs are or are not corrupt and it's certainly not about the definition of libel or slander.

This is a friendly warning: Carry on with the off topic posts and we will be taking further action.
No prob with me I will leave the BB. I have found that the maintenance of your DLA does indeed encompass all I have said, that why I have said it.

I wish you all good luck in your endeavours. Sadly I have been through the mill with my husband!

I WAS ONE OF THE LUCKY ONES AND WON THE DAY, MANY I KNOW HAVE BEEN DELIBERATED THWARTED, ESPECIALLY BY THE APPEALS TRIBUNAL.

For those of you who think that DLA is straight forward look again, but good good luck. For those of you who know its a minefield you will know the pitfalls.

FOR THE LAST TIME OVER AND OUT CAROL
Old 18-08-2009, 21:28   #64
Nugget
Inactive

Nugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered stars
Nugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
<snip>For those of you who think that DLA is straight forward look again, but good good luck. For those of you who know its a minefield you will know the pitfalls.<snip>
As the husband of someone who used to deal with people who were in the process of applying for DLA, she's advised me that the process of application is in no way a minefield, and is actually very straight forward.

In fact, I have it on her (very good and knowledgable) word that, in the majority of cases, people who have problems with actually getting DLA is specifically down to them not filling the forms in correctly, or not actually answering the questions that are asked. Maybe it's because they're thick
Old 18-08-2009, 21:31   #65
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

I had a bad time with the forms for DLA, luckily I had someone from sight concern out to help me.

He also helped me when my sight got worse to re do them and got me through my appeal.

No doubt I AM thick because if I'd filled the forms out I'd have got smeg all.

Mind you I understand the questions have changed since my appeal came through last year.
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2009, 21:41   #66
Nugget
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas T View Post
I had a bad time with the forms for DLA, luckily I had someone from sight concern out to help me.

He also helped me when my sight got worse to re do them and got me through my appeal.

No doubt I AM thick because if I'd filled the forms out I'd have got smeg all.

Mind you I understand the questions have changed since my appeal came through last year.
The thing is dilli, that you have a specific issue that made it difficult for you to fill the forms in - the guy from Sight Concern did basically the same thing as Mrs Nug used to do as part of her job, which was help those who weren't sure to fill it in correctly.

There's no way that you're thick just because you may have filled it out incorrectly - the problems that you have with your sight mean that filling in the forms would automatically be more difficult for you than it would (for example) for me. Having said that, I'm frankly astonished that yours went to appeal.

According to Mrs Nug, the best thing anybody could do if they have to fill these forms in is to seek out someone for advice /assistance - if you need it, try your CAB or Council, and they can (hopefully) sort it for you.
Old 18-08-2009, 22:16   #67
rogerdraig
cf.mega poster

rogerdraig has reached the bronze age
rogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to rogerdraig

Quote:

You may well be, i am disabled and have gone through every version of form tribunal and Dr out there to prove my condition so i Know what you are gong on about BUT you wont win friends or gain suporters with the way you are posting

i am often ( not here that i have heard so far though many might just think it lol ) am accused of being too involved with what i am saying but i must say i think i am fairly laid back compared to your posts

yes there are lots of things wrong and the papers and government both use the disabled either to cast them in the baddie role of scroungers we have to check on thoroughly till they squeal hen they need a bad guy to distract from something else

or as the ones they look after and care for when they need to look nice and cuddly themselves

but antagonising those talking about it wont change that

as to things like the changing of AA from an individual payment to a council run service must be fought but nicely explaining it is better than shouting

most here even those who do think that the disabled have lots of scroungers will understand that giving councils the money is hardly likely to make this part of the benefit better as they are unlikely to be able to provide the individually tailored help that that money can help get at the moment

calm down explain dont lecture you might find friends and support here then
rogerdraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2009, 22:28   #68
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Ah yes .... DLA forms, such a joy to fill in.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 01:32   #69
webcrawler2050
Inactive

Services: TiVo 110MB BB Phone Line
webcrawler2050 has reached the bronze age
webcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to webcrawler2050

Quote:
Originally Posted by RizzyKing View Post
How successful you will be in claiming DLA comes down to how you answer the questions on the form it is that simple you have to look at the questions in a very non specific way and answer accordingly. When i claimed first and second time i was told that pain and suffering in doing an activity was irrelevent and it was purely down to whether i could do it. As an example the how far can you walk well i can walk fifty metres and that was all they wanted to know they didn't care how much pain or discomfort i was in doing that purely that i could walk it.

So you have to take pain and discomfort into account yourself when answering their questions and if doing anything causes you pain then you say no you cannot do it even though you can. Adopting that approach i was able to finally get the level of DLA that everyone in the medical community that deals with me felt i should be getting. I despise the current system because it plays on the pride and stubbornness of claimants in not wanting to fully admit how limited we are and how much we struggle to do even simple things.
I'm afraid this is right. It took me 3 / 4 times to get the words right. Due to my condition, I get sevre dizzy-ness and have no hearing in my left ear, CAB are VERY good and dare I say it, know how to "work" the forms to your advantage.
webcrawler2050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 02:14   #70
RizzyKing

I don't class myself as thick and i don't find DLA forms straightforward at all i find them vague, non specific and at times not wording the questions properly. I also fully believe that is deliberate and is intended to make the process far harder then it needs to be and isn't helped by the advice given from the DWP.

End of the day social services in relation to the disabled have proven time and time again to not be upto the job of taking care of those responsibilitys they already have with many not getting the help they should have. For me the idea that they will get my DLA horrifys me and is not something i would ever support.
Old 19-08-2009, 06:13   #71
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart C View Post

keep in mind iv not read the thread yet so not sure what the fuss is about, but id just like to remind people that

David Blunkett MP looked to Repeal the blasphemy and blasphemous libel laws in 2004.
http://www.christiantoday.com/articl....laws/1584.htm
"Three years ago Mr Blunkett made clear that he favoured scrapping the common law offences of blasphemy and blasphemous libel."
"There have been no public prosecutions for blasphemy since 1922" because its assumed no commoner today knew it existed perhaps ?

Blunkett went on to win a libel case in 2006 after which he said in an interview he describes "as a period of reflection on how a libellous story - and his errors of judgment - led to his downfall.".

led the fight in 2008 for a change in the law so blind people will now be entitled to the higher rate of Disability Living Allowance.

however its not clear if he then claimed his entitled higher rate of Disability Living Allowance after getting the law changed in 2009

clearly he would have had problems filling in the complicated Disability Living Allowance forms as they dont supply braille DLA as standard down your local westminster job center plus.

it's unclear if his doctor, or indeed any disabled MP doctors has been involved in any slander cases, but judging from the passed dates, perhaps that will be a breaking news item in 2010/11
popper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 08:57   #72
cuggle
Inactive

Services: Virginmedia VIP package
cuggle is a glorious beacon of lightcuggle is a glorious beacon of lightcuggle is a glorious beacon of lightcuggle is a glorious beacon of lightcuggle is a glorious beacon of lightcuggle is a glorious beacon of lightcuggle is a glorious beacon of light

As i said in a previous post my dealings with DLA have been good, a doctor came to my house to give me a medical and in recent times my occupational health worker has always helped with filling in my forms. I guess if you get the right help in these things it is much easier.
cuggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 09:55   #73
rogerdraig
cf.mega poster

rogerdraig has reached the bronze age
rogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to rogerdraig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
As the husband of someone who used to deal with people who were in the process of applying for DLA, she's advised me that the process of application is in no way a minefield, and is actually very straight forward.

In fact, I have it on her (very good and knowledgable) word that, in the majority of cases, people who have problems with actually getting DLA is specifically down to them not filling the forms in correctly, or not actually answering the questions that are asked. Maybe it's because they're thick
you know not what you are talking about i suggest rather that taking the word of any one you sit down with out help and try and fill one in

the forms are designed to make it hard often hiding the fact that question don't all have to be answered and that some questions are not what they seem to be.

and you point of your knowledgeable wife is the point we make the forms shouldn't be stopping people getting DLA they should be helping them get the help not putting something else they need to learn how to do like a civil servant to get what they are entitled to and NEED

just for example the how far can you walk question which implies you have to tell them and doesn't explain that any distance after you get pain is not suposed to be counted or in my case doesn't apply as as soon as i am having an attack i cant walk

i have had a very knowledgeable civil servant turn up to tell me that i should still put a figure to who i politely told to go away quoting the relevant legislation on the walking test

the forms are hard especial for those doing them the first time and those who are not used to civil servant gobbledy gook
rogerdraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 10:07   #74
Nugget
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogermevans View Post
you know not what you are talking about i suggest rather that taking the word of any one you sit down with out help and try and fill one in

the forms are designed to make it hard often hiding the fact that question don't all have to be answered and that some questions are not what they seem to be.

and you point of your knowledgeable wife is the point we make the forms shouldn't be stopping people getting DLA they should be helping them get the help not putting something else they need to learn how to do like a civil servant to get what they are entitled to and NEED

just for example the how far can you walk question which implies you have to tell them and doesn't explain that any distance after you get pain is not suposed to be counted or in my case doesn't apply as as soon as i am having an attack i cant walk

i have had a very knowledgeable civil servant turn up to tell me that i should still put a figure to who i politely told to go away quoting the relevant legislation on the walking test

the forms are hard especial for those doing them the first time and those who are not used to civil servant gobbledy gook
I certainly do know what I'm talking about, and I'd appreciate it if you didn't take that tone, ta muchly. For the record, I have seen these forms and, whilst I don't think that I would have a massive problem with filling them in, I'm in the fortunate postion where a) I don't have to, and b) if I did, my wife would be in a very good position to assist me.

The forms do not stop people from getting DLA - the people who decipher the information in the forms do that. As such, not answering the questions correctly is the biggest hindrance that people have. At no point did I say that you have to have somebody help you; more that it is obviously of benefit to you if you can get advice from somebody who is trained in the correct areas.
Old 19-08-2009, 10:20   #75
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

roger, I appreciate you have not been treated well, but the forms are not there to help or stop people getting DLA - they are there to assess if they are eligible for DLA.

I found this presentation on the web, which although a year of so old, gives an overview (from the DWP's viewpoint) of what they do.

Some stats from it -

7000 staff support and process claims from
2.8 million get DLA
1.5 million get AA
1 million get, or should get Carer's Allowance

Every day, they get
3,200 notifications of changes of circumstances for DLA
3,000 new claims for DLA
1,500 notifications of changes of circumstances for AA
1,000 new claims for Carer's Allowance
2,600 notifications of changes of circumstances for Carer's Allowance

There are (imho) some useful contact numbers at the end of the document.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote